clicking noise in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram hemi 4 wheel drive crew cab. When I back up and have the steering wheel turned to the right, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its coming from the left front. I've had it in once to have it checked at the dealer. They replaced the cv axle but that didn't stop it. It only does it when I"m backing up and the steering wheel is turned to the right. It doesn't do it backing up with the steering wheel turned to the left and it doesn't do it going forward. I took it back to the dealer and he's had it a couple of weeks. They gave me a loaner to drive while they fixed it. I called the service manager today and they still can't find the problem. He said they were going to Velcro sensors to various places on the chassis to isolate the sound so they could find what the clicking is. You can hear it on the outside as well as inside. He said the only thing they found was LISTER TO THIS was that the top and lower ball joint nuts were loose and were torqued to the correct specs! I have never heard of such a thing. All I have ever seen with these nuts were slotted castle nuts with a cotter key. They still have my truck and one of the first things I'm going to check is if the ball joints do or do not have slotted castle nuts. Has any one out there experienced a clicking noise when backing up with the wheel turned to the right? If so, what was the problem and the fix? Thanks so much for your time. I hope some one can help me.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Maybe a loose steering knuckle that's only affected by the torque in that direction? Happens when it's hard over only?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2017 Ram hemi 4 wheel drive crew cab. When I back up and have the steering wheel turned to the right, there is a clicking noise that sounds like its coming from the left front. I've had it in once to have it checked at the dealer. They replaced the cv axle but that didn't stop it. It only does it when I"m backing up and the steering wheel is turned to the right. It doesn't do it backing up with the steering wheel turned to the left and it doesn't do it going forward. I took it back to the dealer and he's had it a couple of weeks. They gave me a loaner to drive while they fixed it. I called the service manager today and they still can't find the problem. He said they were going to Velcro sensors to various places on the chassis to isolate the sound so they could find what the clicking is. You can hear it on the outside as well as inside. He said the only thing they found was LISTER TO THIS was that the top and lower ball joint nuts were loose and were torqued to the correct specs! I have never heard of such a thing. All I have ever seen with these nuts were slotted castle nuts with a cotter key. They still have my truck and one of the first things I'm going to check is if the ball joints do or do not have slotted castle nuts. Has any one out there experienced a clicking noise when backing up with the wheel turned to the right? If so, what was the problem and the fix? Thanks so much for your time. I hope some one can help me.
Hi gto64gto, I am sorry to hear that you have these concerns with your RAM. If you are in need of additional support while in service, please let us know. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional assistance while in service.
Rob
RamCares

CamrenR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We had a truck that did that same thing when driving forward, wheels turned fully to the left. Dealer changed the wheel bearing problem solved.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CamrenR has a good suggestion - have them check that bearing.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
We had a truck that did that same thing when driving forward, wheels turned fully to the left. Dealer changed the wheel bearing problem solved.

Hello CamrenR,
We are happy to hear that your dealer was able to solve your concern. Please know our team is available in the future if any assistance is needed.
Laura
RamCares