Clicking noise in front when engaging 4 H.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First time having to use 4 high because of snow. Put in neutral, transfer case to 4 high, it locked up. Turn L or R, making a sound like a bad CV joint. Not consistent . Truck with 14k on it.. is this normal? Sounded like a Honda car I had 30 yrs ago with a bad CV joint.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
First time having to use 4 high because of snow. Put in neutral, transfer case to 4 high, it locked up. Turn L or R, making a sound like a bad CV joint. Not consistent . Truck with 14k on it.. is this normal? Sounded like a Honda car I had 30 yrs ago with a bad CV joint.

take it to the dealer, it’s under warranty. Post up here what they find.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like an issue for sure but why did you put it in neutral? It’s a shift on the fly case. Habit?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, I have put my truck in 4wd at 40ish mph or so many-a-time, never had an issue. Now 4low, yea i usually do that with trans in neutral and rolling a few mph.

If you are getting clicking noises, I would suspect driveshaft ujoints or the axleshaft joints. Both which would be way premature at that mileage, but...

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Sounds like an issue for sure but why did you put it in neutral? It’s a shift on the fly case. Habit?

I still do this method in extreme cold (temperatures well below zero Fahrenheit) if the Power Wagon transfer case feels even slightly tight to shift from 2WD to 4H. I'll stop, shift the transmission to neutral, and put the transfer case into 4H. There's no sense in forcing something when it's minus 25F in a 70 MPH Wyoming breeze.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the manual says to put it in neutral to engage the 4wd system. I'll have to double check now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the manual says to put it in neutral to engage the 4wd system. I'll have to double check now.

All the window stickers say sift on the fly transfer case don’t they? Regardless I engage it at any speed and have never had an issue. Wonder if I’m wrong

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Welp. Learn something everyday. I swear it said to put it in neutral to engage the 4wd system. Manual shift says you can be in motion. That makes things alot easier

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I shift between 2H and 4H in motion all the time (including several times this week while driving to work because of the snow). Just let off the gas momentarily when shifting, and obviously want to make sure you don't have the rear tires spinning. Don't think there is any max speed you can do this out, but usually I'm probably under 40-50 mph....if I need 4wd I'm probably not running 70 mph....

4 Low I've always been at a stop and usually put the transmission in neutral. I've had a few vehicles over the years that needed to have the trans in neutral for it to easily shift.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yes, habit. Had 4x4's my whole life! Older ones obviously! And yes, I will post any response from the dealer. Doesn't sound normal for sure....
Us older ones see people shifting into 4WD at 60 mph and we just instinctively clench our teeth and squint, waiting for stuff to explode, LOL. Hard habit to break.
At least we don't try to get out and take a knee to lock the hubs and drive backwards any more.

JamesgPW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Transfer cases in general are not quiet when shifting. I get a bit of noise when going 2h to 4h and 4h to 4lo but never thought anything of it. It certainly doesn’t persist while driving or after the shift

OP
OP
T

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the input people. Haven't had a chance to get it to the dealer yet. Will update when I do.

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I still do this method in extreme cold (temperatures well below zero Fahrenheit) if the Power Wagon transfer case feels even slightly tight to shift from 2WD to 4H. I'll stop, shift the transmission to neutral, and put the transfer case into 4H. There's no sense in forcing something when it's minus 25F in a 70 MPH Wyoming breeze.
I've owned a lot of 4 wheel Drive trucks over the years. I stop and put it in 4 Wheel Drive. With the PW. It may be okay not to. But stopping doesn't hurt.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just let off the gas so the rears aren't spinning faster than the front and shift it to 4hi.
Shifting into 4Lo requires you to stop and put the transmission in N first...

OP
OP
T

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The clicking noise occurs after I am in 4hi. Seems to only happen at a couple miles an hour, or just barely moving, and only when turning. That's why I thought maybe a CV joint, drivers side front.( do they even call them CV joints anymore? )

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not the t-case to watch for it's the frt axle hooking up.It's generally slow(worse cold)and no syncro's.Just go easy for a sec or so to let it do it's thing.T-case is done it's thing when the light stops flashing but the axle may not be.Other than that shift on the fly hurts nothing.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The clicking noise occurs after I am in 4hi. Seems to only happen at a couple miles an hour, or just barely moving, and only when turning. That's why I thought maybe a CV joint, drivers side front.( do they even call them CV joints anymore? )
I would agree.Low mileage for sure but everything fails at some point.New and old.