Inconsistent ticking on acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all! My 2005 4x4 1500 dodge has started an inconsistent ticking upon acceleration. Sometimes it occurs when I turn corners, other times I could be driving in a straight line. In either situation, it's a hit or miss as to whether I will be able to hear it at all. At first, I believed that maybe it was a CV Axel but it's coming from the rear passenger wheel-well (I think). I'm aware that a 4x4 vehicle might have CV axles in the rear but I can't find any additional information about that online (Autozone doesn't have the part, does it exist lol). I also think it could be a U joint or a wheel bearing but the only vibrations I experience occur at higher speeds (55+ MPH, Unbalanced Wheel). It also isn't nearly consistent enough for me to understand how it might be a bearing or joint. I can also only hear the sound when my windows are down, or my rear window is open. This started about 4 days ago and I've put on at least 50 miles since I first heard it.

To explain the sound I would say it's like running a playing card in between the spokes of your bicycle. I've only noticed the sound in the 1st gear at low speeds before the transmission shifts into 2nd and the noise disappears. I've tried to force the sound under heavy acceleration and it does not occur.
I HAVE however been able to hear the sound when I jacked my rear end up and put the truck in drive. When freely spinning I can hear the noise best on the rear passenger side.
It also has made one screeching sound on a turn when I was taking a steep left, I don't know why it hasn't come back since because I've driven at least 10 more miles since that screech.

Any ideas? Thank you all for your help!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a possible similar sound, with frustration trying to make it happen. Finally, I was in a parking garage and could hear it better. Turned out to be 3 broken header bolts and the shifting of the headers due to exhaust system movement made it irregular. Took my mechanic a while to figure out two were broken and the third not until after removing the second.

The screech, could be a old fan belt. Try some belt dressing and if it goes away replace the belt. Only other analog I had was a A/C compressor motor that began intermittent screeching until it just quit.

Good luck

OP
OP
KadenJ

KadenJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you man! I put the truck on blocks and ran it in drive to see if I could hear it. It ended up being an axel shaft bearing… issue with those is they’re sealed and I had to take apart the whole rear end, ugh! All done and dusted now.