Clockspring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Granite1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Hello all,

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 eco diesel tradesmen. My clockspring took a dump and I ordered a new one from Mopar.com (part #68528301AA). I swapped it out a couple days ago but in my foolishness I did not recenter the steering when I put the steering wheel back on. I discovered this after I buttoned the whole thing up and went for a test drive and my Steering wheel is about 20-30 degrees off. Doh!

Obviously, I need to tear it apart and start and recenter it. Is there something I need to do when recentering it? During the install there’s that yellow tab that is there to supposedly keep it in line that you remove at the end of the installation. I imagine I need to recapture that some how? During my test drive, I also got a new error that says I need to service my trailer brakes. I don’t know how trailer brakes are related to the clock spring but it’s too coincidental for it to all of a sudden fail now. or is it an issue because the clock spring is seeing the truck as constantly turning?

I don’t know if I got the wrong clock spring from Mopar or not. This one had extra wiring for a heated steering wheel which I don’t have. I tucked the wires back inside the steering wheel but was wondering if I got the wrong clockspring and if somehow messed up the trailer brakes?

legend921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you would need to recalibrate your steering angle sensor once you get the new clockspring on. The trailer brake system uses the ABS and steering angle system to actuate brakes in the back so if there's a mismatch, it will show the error.