Clunk when in 4WD auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffrey Strichart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2013 Ram 1500 4WD 87k If I have the truck in 4WD auto, under light acceleration from a stop I can feel a clunk in the rear, it doesn't actually make a sound but I can feel it. It feels like something is engaging or disengaging, that's the best I can describe it. It does not happen at cruising speeds. Is this normal, that I can feel it? If not what can you suggest? Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's only happens in 4X4 Auto, it's most likely the front drive "clutch" your feeling, but it should only engage if wheel slippage is detected.
I'd check the U-Joints on both front and rear drive shafts.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How often do you use 4x4? If you don't use it a lot, I'd try using it a bunch especially on freeway at 55mph, avoid to high of speeds. For sure do a transfer case flush, this can literally cure a lot of ills and if not done yet way overdue, mine was black at 30k miles. I'd use amsoil or redline as well, once you have an issue like this these oils have proven themselves over oem, and that is not from me direct but regular ram forum members like Corey and Kyle who drive in snow year after year. See what Corey has to say on it, @Hemi395.. is this one of the years brandon sells a fix for?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'd try using it a bunch especially on freeway at 55mph, avoid to high of speeds.
FYI: Auto 4X4 can be used at any speed the truck is capable of it's a Full-time transfer case.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What are you calling or considering a full time transfer case?
The t cases used on rams haven't been full time to my knowledge since back in the Dodge days of the NP203,
mid to late 70's.
An interesting article on the newer ones for RAM and Jeep;
https://suncruisermedia.com/suncrui...d-essentials/chryslers-4wd-systems-explained/
Yes, but that is what I was hinting at, you can make them lock and a member here sells a kit or wire. I don't know the years they are particularly bad, 2011 to 2014 somewhere around there.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My "15" had the older t-case that was quite poor in my mind,
I installed Brandon's kit in that one and it helped it immensely.
My current "19" has a better t-case in that it has far less slip and slop built into it,
you can actually feel a bit of bind and hop on tight turns on packed dirt and gravel.
I haven't seen or heard near as much controversity on these cases or been able
to find out much about how RAM has programmed this one to operate.
It will be interesting this winter to see how poor it is.
For example will it shift back to 2wd if put in park as the older ones did,
I'm sure it will release the 4wd clutch when the ignition switch is turned off
effectivly putting it in 2wd the same as the older one.