clutch wear and and input shaft questions nv4500 & pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i currently have the nv4500 pulled out of 5.9l magnum (02 ram 3500). i have a few questions hopefully someone can clarify a few things for me. i have attached photos as well.

1. my pilot bearing was shot and i have a little wear on my input shaft, huge issue? or ok to procced on reinstalling a new clutch kit.?

2. fly wheel and pressure plate both have those heat marks what caused this heat friction? poor clutch driving?
-i would like to add that this truck is a chassis cab with a stake dump body and we've overloaded the GVW many of times.

3. currently has the 11" clutch, will the 12" clutch and pressure plate really fit.? and will that effect choosing a new flywheel as well or any other component that will not be replaced.

4. the pilot bearing was definitely shot as you can see in the pictures. was that little bearing causing me not to shift into any gear or was it the clutch release bearing that has all the oil and play in it?

5. help me understand how this clutch works. what i do know is the ***** cylinder pushes on the shift fork which has a clutch release bearing". as that pushes out what is actually happening after that between pressure plate clucth and flywheel. never understood or seen how that works. also in reverse you release clucth pedal, ***** cylinder rod retracts and shift fork returns???

Attachments

• 20220512_152758[1].jpg
    20220512_152758[1].jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_152821[1].jpg
    20220512_152821[1].jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_153041[1].jpg
    20220512_153041[1].jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_153708[1].jpg
    20220512_153708[1].jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_153714[1].jpg
    20220512_153714[1].jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220512_160721[1].jpg
    20220512_160721[1].jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 4

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Since the site seems to have gone "woke" I will refer to the master cylinder as "main", and the "*****" as secondary!

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
1. From the looks of your picture the wear does not "appear" to be real significant, but dirty, I might be concerned about how all that gets in there or if its from the other componets. I would probably take the "crapshoot" and not replace the input shaft on the NV 4500, however I must recommend that you at least get the input shaft of the NV 4500 replaced. You can grab it and see if it wobbles, if it wobbles replace it, and its bearing, if not don't! I am not in favor of the current pilot bearing's construction considering the needles directly ride on the shaft. So I would pack the space behind the pilot bearing with wheel bearing grease.

2. and 3. Flywheels and pressure plates "Always display" heat cracks whenever you are having shift problems. They are probably there for some time, I think they develope over time, and near as I can tell have no real effect. The number one effect is a worn out clutch plate, from riding the clutch, then bad throwout bearings, or pilot bearings.

4. At the moment I would say it is your pilot bearing, I'm experiencing a similar problem. My 5 speed might shift great one day, and be a 3 speed the next. I find it hard to get in 1st and reverse, unless I shut it off. The lack of torque from the engine lets me put it in the gear I want. This suggests pilot bearing issue. The throwout bearing usually just makes a lot of noise when shifting.

5. Ok this is how it works: when you push the clutch pedal it operates the "main master cylinder" which puts pressure to the "secondary ***** cylinder" ( thus the current wokeism asterisks) the secondary cylinder pushes the fork with the throwout bearing into the spring levers of the pressure plate. The pressure plate then separates its squeeze against the clutch plate and the clutch plate loses its squeeze on the fly wheel, and the clutch plate basically freewheels until next engaged. The Flywheel is connected directly to the crankshaft.

The Hydraulic cylinders back in the old days were simple mechanical and spring mechanisms

OP
OP
R

RAM8610

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
@Skatulaki
First and foremost i want to thank you for being the only one that responded to me. after i had everything disassembled and was waiting on parts my girlfriends father got sick, hospitalized and unfortunately past away. its been a rough week. now that ive been back at it and got every thing back together. i installed new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, master and sla4e cylinder. i left the flywheel alone as i felt it didn't have anything deep or visible damage. the nv4500 shaft was pretty solid no movement or anything so i left it alone. i thought getting the shaft through the clutch and pilot bearing to go in was going to be a problem from forum post ive read but i have to say it was harder to pull apart the trans from the engine then it was to put back together onto the engine. pretty crazy i know, but i guess i had the right angle the first time. also the harbor freight trans jack was not of the greatest quality for what i was doing but it ended up working. i also changed the fluid in the trans with amzoil whatever the part number equivalent was that i cannot remember. all in all i worked blindly at first, but if i have to do it again i would be confident to do so. Of course i dont want to do it anytime soon though. for the future i may do the proper 5 gear fix maybe?, also saw some beefer pilot bearings and clutch's but that hopefully will be way later down the road. again thanks for your response and help it was very much appreciated.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Your welcome! For future reference, the flywheel can actually be taken to a machine shop, where they have a machine that will resurface it. Basically a grinder that grinds the surface just enough to make it smooth again! As long as your transmission is shifting and working properly, no reason to "rebuild it" The clutch plates and pilot and throw outs will be the primary problems, and unless doing a lot of towing, should last 100K easy, maybe 2 or 3 times that if not towing.