Coilover quagmire now!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Trying to compress my BDS coilovers to get another inch of lift. Nothing seems to work enough. The coilover spring compressor i rented wont fit in securely enough.

Anyone???

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Trying to compress my BDS coilovers to get another inch of lift. Nothing seems to work enough. The coilover spring compressor i rented wont fit in securely enough.

Anyone???
Need an actual spring compressor
595AB0A8-8F4E-4AB4-B521-A1262254961C.jpeg

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Operator error mostly. When I loosen3d the collar, I backed the bolt out to far. Alls good.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Taking it out really wasnt an option. Not worth the inch.good tool though

The ones you rent or buy cheaply are made for cars they don’t do truck springs well at all. It would have been nice if fox made them adjustable without having to remove them. I should say more easily because it can be done just sketchy and at the end of the day it would be faster to jut take them out

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
What happened. Did you do your extra inch in the end?
I got it done. The rental would have done fine by itself. The issue was lack of space. We really had to play with it to get it to safely get a good bite. Being a firefighter, at work during the holidays in a heated bay well we used what we had to ease the install. We have a combo cutter/spreaders for auto extrication. Turns out they make a fine clamp, assisting with the coil compression and held the clamp in place.
The issue with taking them out to adjust is an inch in coil compression doesnt get you an inch in lift. Matter of fact, BDS only recommended 3/4" lift raise and 5/8" compression to get there. To get the full inch you need about 1.25" of compression. The only way to really know how much you increased was to tighten the thread cap, remove the clamp, install the wheel and level the truck on the ground. I ended up with 3/4" gain in the front. I didnt feel like going back thru it all again fo 1/4". In the end it sits damn near exactly with the same rake as before which was level to the eye and I'm happy. The ride isnt any different at all. If I did it all again, I'd go for the 2" and see what happens.
People comment on my big truck. This one replaced a 07 Mega 4x4 Cummins, 5" lift sitting on 37's that I drove for 13 years. At 6'7" I had to climb into it and that's burned in my brain.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I got it done. The rental would have done fine by itself. The issue was lack of space. We really had to play with it to get it to safely get a good bite. Being a firefighter, at work during the holidays in a heated bay well we used what we had to ease the install. We have a combo cutter/spreaders for auto extrication. Turns out they make a fine clamp, assisting with the coil compression and held the clamp in place.
The issue with taking them out to adjust is an inch in coil compression doesnt get you an inch in lift. Matter of fact, BDS only recommended 3/4" lift raise and 5/8" compression to get there. To get the full inch you need about 1.25" of compression. The only way to really know how much you increased was to tighten the thread cap, remove the clamp, install the wheel and level the truck on the ground. I ended up with 3/4" gain in the front. I didnt feel like going back thru it all again fo 1/4". In the end it sits damn near exactly with the same rake as before which was level to the eye and I'm happy. The ride isnt any different at all. If I did it all again, I'd go for the 2" and see what happens.
People comment on my big truck. This one replaced a 07 Mega 4x4 Cummins, 5" lift sitting on 37's that I drove for 13 years. At 6'7" I had to climb into it and that's burned in my brain.

Awesome glad it worked out. If you ever tackle anything similar in the future the manufacturer can tell you how many turns equals height. For example 1 full turn = 1/8” 2 turns = 1/4”

OP
OP
Fireman48

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Awesome glad it worked out. If you ever tackle anything similar in the future the manufacturer can tell you how many turns equals height. For example 1 full turn = 1/8” 2 turns = 1/4”

BDS says 3/8" to 1/2" of preload will net 1/2" to 3/4" ride height. I find this to not be true at all. 1" netted 3/4 to 7/8" ride height.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
BDS says 3/8" to 1/2" of preload will net 1/2" to 3/4" ride height. I find this to not be true at all. 1" netted 3/4 to 7/8" ride height.
They normally go by how many turns but I guess it’s who you speak to there