Cold Air Intake and MDS ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi,

New owner to a ram 1500 2010 5.7 w/ MDS. I put on a AFE cold air intake on it, otherwise all stock. Driving around I have a 'hiccup' MDS engaging type sound coming from the intake, it does it constantly. You can feel/hear it.. Is this normal? Is there any type of fix for this? If i take the truck out of MDS I don't really hear/feel this symptom..I know I can get a tuner to disable the MDS, but any other ideas from people? It is something I have searched for a lot, and really haven't found too much info on this.

The intake is an open box style.. is this just the nature of this type of intake?

38SPCEL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI MDS VVT
Your "new" normal noise

I've got a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and MDS VVT system that I just installed a K&N cold air system on, and this is normal. With your old "closed" air system from Dodge, you don't hear it even though it's there all the time. With the intake open to the elements, you hear the internal noises otherwise masked by the closed system. If the manufacturers told us this, we probably would reconsider the modification. Ciao!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My S&B is a closed box, so i can't hear it

OP
OP
Braaapteestah

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've got a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and MDS VVT system that I just installed a K&N cold air system on, and this is normal. With your old "closed" air system from Dodge, you don't hear it even though it's there all the time. With the intake open to the elements, you hear the internal noises otherwise masked by the closed system. If the manufacturers told us this, we probably would reconsider the modification. Ciao!

Thank you for the reply, yea its pretty noticeable and annoying with this open intake, but i hate to have to go back to stock because of it, a tuner and mds delete may be in my future as I am stuck with the truck for awhile:(

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
Happened to me when I did my exhaust on my 2007. I ended up disabling it with my Superchips

OP
OP
Braaapteestah

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Happened to me when I did my exhaust on my 2007. I ended up disabling it with my Superchips

Did you get the Flashpaq model? I seen that one, looks good. What is the cheapest tuner to buy to delete the MDS? is it the Flashpaq? thanks

Crescent1101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ECODIESEL
I don't know the model number. I don't think its a Flashpaq. I got it off craigslist.

OP
OP
Braaapteestah

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ya good find then, id like to find one on craigs.. U think it is money well spent for the tuner mds turn off?

OP
OP
Braaapteestah

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bought a Diablo Trinity tuner over thew weekend, MDS is now off, and truck feels much better than it did!

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Bought a Diablo Trinity tuner over thew weekend, MDS is now off, and truck feels much better than it did!

Question: Did you purchase the Basic Trinity? or Did you purchase the Trinity with the HemiFever Tune installed?

OP
OP
Braaapteestah

Braaapteestah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bought a used Diablo Trinity, no hemifever on it -although i have heard of it and it sounds great. I turned off MDS, increased my throttle response a bit, and am running the 87 Performance tune. Feels good..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441