Cold air intake HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gardiner66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Hello everyone newbie here

I recently purchased a 2022 Ram 3500 dually with a 6.4 gasser and I can’t find anyone that has a cold air intake for the 2022 so my question is what is the difference between the 21 & 22 model year of the trucks, I contacted S&B and they said the 21 will fit and then they said it won’t so until they confirm fit. So until I find one I am gonna keep lookin.

Attachments

• 750F3A79-1BEA-4DC9-B704-4A2620E75471.jpeg
    750F3A79-1BEA-4DC9-B704-4A2620E75471.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 5

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You bought a 6.4 3500 dually. A CAI will not get you 1-2mpg better. You would be lucky to see .1mpg better. That’s a heavy truck. Would have been better with a diesel if you are worried about mpg. The stock filter is quite larger and free flowing on the 6.4 gas engine to begin with so not much restriction.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
PXL_20210228_215052234.jpg
In my opinion this is probably one of the most open CAI you can get. I noticed absolutely no better MPG. As others have said, for looks and sound and both of those is what I bought it for and happy with. I can't help but to believe that there has to be "some" ram air effect even though I can't tell it by the seat of the pants feel!

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having owned a 3/4 Ram with the 6.4, I can verify that a cai does absolutely nothing. No power increase, no mpg increase but looks cool. Also a magnaflow system sounds terrific especially over 4,000 rpm. But still no power or mpg increase. Its a great motor and will serve you well but not much of anything can be done to boost mpg.
Sure, a diesel would do a little better but then there is the “def” stuff and the higher fuel cost over gas plus the $10,000 up charge for a diesel.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having owned a 3/4 Ram with the 6.4, I can verify that a cai does absolutely nothing. No power increase, no mpg increase but looks cool. Also a magnaflow system sounds terrific especially over 4,000 rpm. But still no power or mpg increase. Its a great motor and will serve you well but not much of anything can be done to boost mpg.
Sure, a diesel would do a little better but then there is the “def” stuff and the higher fuel cost over gas plus the $10,000 up charge for a diesel.
89 Gas and diesel are the same price around me right now. 3.70$ to 3.90$ depending on the station. No cost difference. And def is negligible. If working the truck a diesel will always be hands down better all around even with maintenance and fuel costs. My 2017 1500 gets 11mpg average. Lol. But I’m lifted on 35s and don’t drive easy.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to start a gas vs diesel issue.

My old diesels were fantastic for towing, pulling, mpg, etc etc etc.

The op is looking for mpg and won’t find it where he’s looking. Especially towing, a diesel is probably the only thing that would get him better mileage. But the total cost is high.
If he’d get 5 more mpg with a diesel, how long does it take to offset the $10,000 up charge??

When I bought a 3/4 ton truck with the biggest v8 gas engine available, mpg really was never an issue for me as I knew going it that it would suck. Yep

Rather than spend $300-$400 for a cai system, put it on a prepaid debit card and buy 3-4 tanks of gas. Ugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
For some people buying parts like this is just a "flex" thing ... they think they are adding performance to their trucks but in reality they are only paying for the name because everyone else is getting it lol ...

Like me for instance, I didn't get my Carven Competitor series because I wanted performance out of it, I know I was not going to even get close to getting anything, they claim up to 8 HP which is bs ...

I got it because I wanted the sound simple as that lol .... and because everyone is getting the Carven haha!

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OEM is already CAI... if you simply want more noise, then go for it.
I got the Borla catback because I like the way it sounded... and the one thing I know for a fact is that it is 30# lighter than stock so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CAI.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
View attachment 484768
In my opinion this is probably one of the most open CAI you can get. I noticed absolutely no better MPG. As others have said, for looks and sound and both of those is what I bought it for and happy with. I can't help but to believe that there has to be "some" ram air effect even though I can't tell it by the seat of the pants feel!

Those just look cool as hell though! I thought that people have put there truck on the dyno & this CAI is one of the only ones that actually adds a few ponies. It's nothing crazy but I would think it would help if you had some other mods too. I would buy it just for the looks. Gives it that 60/70's muscle car look.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most newer air intake systems from most manufacturers are more efficient than 20 years ago, and I think you'll find Ram is at the top.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 064446 miles.

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone newbie here

I recently purchased a 2022 Ram 3500 dually with a 6.4 gasser and I can’t find anyone that has a cold air intake for the 2022 so my question is what is the difference between the 21 & 22 model year of the trucks, I contacted S&B and they said the 21 will fit and then they said it won’t so until they confirm fit. So until I find one I am gonna keep lookin.
I have a 19 Ram 3500 with the 6.4. I put the ARH headers with cats and man what a difference in power. They say 40 HP at the wheels and I believe it. And as much torque, CAI are a waste in these trucks. If you like noise then install a catback but don't expect much power. The stock exhaust is huge 31/2", I just used it with my headers. Very quite with just a small amount more noise, very small. They did not drone. I also pick up about 11/2 miles per gallon. Over all the truck pulls my 13000 pound race trailer very well, I am out in Colorado and work it hard.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should save your money because 99% of the cai systems on the market do nothing for mileage or performance. Infact most of them will give less power and mileage from letting hot under the hood air into the engine.
They are good for making more intake noise only. I would put the 300 plus bucks toward a tuner that will allow you to do a lot of things. The factory airbox is really a good cold air system and the oem filter will outflow the throttle body.

Last edited:

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 19 Ram 3500 with the 6.4. I put the ARH headers with cats and man what a difference in power. They say 40 HP at the wheels and I believe it. And as much torque, CAI are a waste in these trucks. If you like noise then install a catback but don't expect much power. The stock exhaust is huge 31/2", I just used it with my headers. Very quite with just a small amount more noise, very small. They did not drone. I also pick up about 11/2 miles per gallon. Over all the truck pulls my 13000 pound race trailer very well, I am out in Colorado and work it hard.
That's a big increase! Are you still happy with it? I think I may have found my first real mod to my truck!

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second the Vararam, get one and you'll love it! The ONLY CAI with dyno proven HP gains, but it is only part of the equation for more power keep in mind.
IMG_1550.JPG

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up with the GT package on my truck, so I got the Mopar "high performance" ram air intake, otherwise I was going to go Vararam too. I wonder if there are any "performance" differences, again not like it matters much, I do enjoy the added sound. Once the warranty runs out I'll probably throw some ARH on and call it a day.

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ended up with the GT package on my truck, so I got the Mopar "high performance" ram air intake, otherwise I was going to go Vararam too. I wonder if there are any "performance" differences, again not like it matters much, I do enjoy the added sound. Once the warranty runs out I'll probably throw some ARH on and call it a day.
What does this factory ram air look like? Pictures please! The only thing I like better than throwing performance parts on my truck is throwing performance parts that look factory.