Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jere D Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a 2016 Ram Express with the 5.7 Hemi. I want to put a cold air intake on the truck, any suggestions as to brand? Open box or enclosed box?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Enclosed with provisions to attach to the fendor cold air inlet. Open boxes get a lot of hot air from the engine compartment. Not good unless you want a HAI. ;)

As Graygoose stated, S&B & Volant have some good enclosed systems.

Sloverado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t say anything bad about my S&b I had on mine. I even ordered it for my new truck coming in.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
S&B like others have recommended is a great choice. However just a CAI alone with no other mods is basically a complete waste. The stock airbox is actually a very capable intake, more than people realize anyways.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stock box, drop in high flow filter and a add a tube 3" from box to behind front bumper helped my stock motor pull better/longer. Kind of like an added breath on upper rpm/wot!

Oh, and paint for another 5 hp...lol

Screenshot_20180820-054810_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20180820-054732_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20180820-054634_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20180817-053433_Photos.jpg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The Mopar CAI is also an increased airflow system that will improve combustion air density by ingesting cooler intake temperatures.

Paired with a proper tune, it is ~30 wheel horsepower at the tire under the curve at elevation.

*takes off sponsorship hat

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mopar CAI is also an increased airflow system that will improve combustion air density by ingesting cooler intake temperatures.

Paired with a proper tune, it is ~30 wheel horsepower at the tire under the curve at elevation.

I agree 100 percent, I love the Mopar CAI. But I don’t want to get into the long discussion about its too expensive, it’s no proven gains etc. I love my Mopar CAI and Mopar Ram Air Ducts and highly recommend them It’s not allot of owners running the system because of the cost but they’re OEM parts. Mopar isn’t sending out free CAI to Sponsors, YouTube bloggers, vendors, racers etc and having them take to social media with results and to prove to potential buyers his great the CAI/Ram Ducts perform as part of they’re marketing strategy. I however believe some of these other CAI manufacturers do send out free CAI to vendors, sponsor , bloggers, racers etc in order to test their products out and then of course post the results to social media the results and to share they’re feedback to them so they can post it on their website etc. I know allot of folks say they’ve seen no gains from the Mopar CAI and it’s expensive but I’ve seen gains from other CAI, well of course as it was send out for free to be tested and have results posted. Mopar ain’t sending out free, CAI in order for bloggers, youtubers, vendors and racers etc to test and assist in they’re marketing strategy. I guess they feel as Genuine Mopar parts sell themselves. Just my opinion. But I highly recommend the Mopar CAI. It’s Mopar and for those concerned about warranty etc. They going to cover warranty work as it genuine Mopar. The Mopar CAI is expensive, other can be had for over half the price so that the option many choose. But if what they say is true, you get what you pay for, why does that theory apply to everything exhaust, headers, tuner everything with the exception of a CAI.

Last edited:

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
Quite happy with the K&N 63 series that came on my truck.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Volant kit(with the Donaldson air filter) . I like how the scoop brings in air from in front of the vehicle.
volant-ram-air-scoop-2013-dodge-ram-1500-5-7-v8-18.jpg
I personally prefer the kits that are installed under the hood, not on the outside of the truck ;)
Definitely going to get cooler air though!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

IMHO I think most of that hp gain is a result of the "proper tune" you are talking about and not the CAI system. I have not seen any testing for hp gain on the Mopar CIA system alone.
Jay

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read a magazine article several years ago, in which the magazine tested 5 different brands of CAIs on a 5.7 Challenger. They out the Chally on a dyno, so it wasn't speculation. They had hard numbers.

The MOPAR did produce the most HP gain. The AirRaid, which came in a close second, was just a HP or 2 behind the MOPAR. But the AirRaid was significantly less money.

I bought the AirRaid. But if you can somehow get a MOPAR for the price of an AirRaid, that's what I'd do.

I like my AirRaid, if for no other reason than it sounds so good.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Volant kit(with the Donaldson air filter) . I like how the scoop brings in air from in front of the vehicle.
volant-ram-air-scoop-2013-dodge-ram-1500-5-7-v8-18.jpg

I’ve always thought that setup was pretty damn cool. However I feel like the Vararam snowy climates in not sure if the lower snorkel would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Hard to believe 22 HP from an air filter.....you wouldn't get that with no filter at all.
That would have been something to test to prove them wrong....LoL

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I watched it, but i'm sorry I think I need more information--you barely get that much of an increase with a tune or a set of long tubes. I've never ever seen anyone ever claim in excess of 20rwhp with just a CAI. I may be wrong, but something just doesn't seem right------
Jay

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got the Mopar CAI, haven't installed yet on my stock truck. Regardless if it doesn't do much to a stock truck it looks great. I got a good deal on mine that why I got but not sure I would have paid full price for it. It is expensive for sure. Also, I like to keep things as close to OEM as possible.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My favorite Cold Air Intake is the stock Intake box with an AEM dry drop in filter.

I do wish there was an aftermarket intake cover instead of the one with the RAM head on it.