Cold Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raymond1050

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco diesel 3.0
Any body with 8 speed that when cold does not shift correct.? Mine slips between shifts and when stopping is slow back to first. When hot is OK.

Ransom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
VMI 3.0 TD
This morning was the first time my truck has seen temps below 40F. The shifts were not smooth and felt like it was slipping. Once trans temps got above 80 felt normal.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I believe all need semi warmed up when really cold, diesels far more, motor and trannies.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normal and not even necessarily during just cold weather.

Ive datalogged the "TCC slip" data point and on the first 1-2 shift of the day the TCM seems to allow about 100 RPM of slip. Every other shift it allows much less (25 RPM or lower). So it looks like they have it programmed that way for a reason.

Over on the other forum an actual transmission tech said the 8 speed needs to purge air from its clutch passages and only some of them are purged when going from P to D, so you'll feel some irregularity with the first few shifts when driving.