Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Considering switching to new 2019 Power Wagon from Ford Raptor

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Todd Turbo S, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM.

1. Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Hi All, I’ve been lurking here for a couple of months now and just had my first opportunity to test drive a new PW. I really like the new body style and technology.

I recently sold my 2013 Ford Raptor Roush (590 HP/TRQ which I purchased new.

Now looking to replace with new PW. Couple questions, my only real concern, is the fit and finish on the PW. My Raptor had great fit and finish and zero rattles.

I’ve read and heard the PW and Ram trucks loosen up after 2-3 years and are rattle traps. I don’t off road or tow. I’m also going to be looking into softening the ride, haven’t figured that out yet. I have a 2018 G63, and after 2,000 miles, it’s starting to rattle. Drying me nuts!

This isn’t a DD, will probably put 2-5K miles a year, mostly traveling around town and to/from my lake house.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. BWL

BWL Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Well it's going to be a lot slower that's for sure. Couple guys out here have power wagons and all seems quiet apart from a few interior rattles over the bumps when I ride in them. Same interior as mine and I did full interior soundproofing as a result so now my cabin is quiet as can be. The front and rear lockers work well at low speeds for getting going, but it's still a heavy truck so high speed rough terrain is still more raptor territory. You want to tow your boat, go hunting in the back woods and slowly work your way into tough access areas power wagon. You want to fly down back roads and catch a little air. Raptor. I don't think the build quality is much different between the 2 brands overall IMHO. Power wagon already has a softer suspension giving it a lower payload capacity. I don't think you'd be able to make it ride much softer given its weight.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  3. 56PW17

56PW17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2017 pw with 60500 miles. No rattles in or out from what I can tell. Only thing that annoys me is the a/c on low. I swear I can hear the motor turning the blower fan. My wife says I’m nuts.

Fit and finish to me is awesome for a 50-60k truck. Sounds like you might be used to higher end vehicles. My father is an S class driver for 25 years and prefers the inside of my truck to all of his Mercedes. Obviously you’re not going for speed if your name is turbo S and you have a G 63 so if you’re looking for off-road capability I really don’t think you can lose

also I bet you get more comments on the power wagon than you do your G wagon

4. michael harpe

michael harpe U.S. Army 2001-2014 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    I've got 10k miles on my 18 PW and dont have any rattles or creaks. I did add an aftermarket lift kit and wheels and tires and exhaust. But if anything does rattle I wont be able to tell cause of the subs and stereo upgrade lol. But I love my truck and I'm not concerned with being the first off the line. Personally you can't go wrong with a pwer wagon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

5. 22hemi13

22hemi13 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    2014 2500 115k tradesman. No rattles and she’s BEAT! Well other than the tailgate over bumps. But that’s another story can’t blame ram hahaha. My wife’s 2017 1500 big horn has a small rattle coming from the drawer under the radio. But a power wagon won’t have that anyways.

392DevilDog likes this.
  6. 392DevilDog

392DevilDog Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    392 Hemi
    2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman 125k no rattles, except the stupid aftermarket step rails...the passenger side took a hit and popped the nutserts out. It rattles when a I hit a bump going around a turn.

I have no complaints with mine at all, except I don't have 37s on it yet and that it is white, but it is growing on me.

7. IRSmart

IRSmart Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    A Ford is going to rattle a thousand times more than a ram. And that’s from someone with experience of thousands of each brand. Fit and finish ram wins hands down.

3TV likes this.
  8. Todd Turbo S

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m not to concerned with being slower than the Raptor and will not be taking it off road. Absolutely love the aggressive big presence the PW has over every other truck on the road, accept for some other Ram 2500 diesel. I’m still hopefully I can find some other type of shock set up to soften the ride a bit.

9. Todd Turbo S

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Great feedback, I agree that the PW will gets more compliments. I personally have always gravitated towards Ram trucks, and this new PW just sings to me. Good to hear on the no rattle concern.

56PW17 likes this.
  10. Todd Turbo S

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Thanks for the response. I’ll be adding aftermarket exhaust wheels/tires as well, just reaching options now.