Considering switching to new 2019 Power Wagon from Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Todd Turbo S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought a 2018 Ford Super Duty. Nice truck, tows great, rides ok, but rattled badly in the cab. I ended up taking it in to the service department twice with complaints of rattles. The service manager rode with me and agreed it had several rattles. They tried to fix it twice, but were not able to stop the rattles. At the time I had the Super Duty Ford pickup, and a Chevy Colorado ZR2 for an off road truck. I decided that having two pickup trucks was a bit overkill, so I sold them both, and bought a Power Wagon to use as a truck and an off road vehicle, and it has worked great for both purposes. The Power Wagon is absolutely rattle free.

So, coming from someone that has owned both a 2018 Super Duty and a 2018 Power Wagon, it is the Super Duty that rattles, and not the Power Wagon. Fit and finish, and quality of materials inside the cab, is much better on the Ram.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the F250 rattles.

OP
OP
T

Todd Turbo S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
this guy needs a powerwagon for presence....a standard 2500, ford, chevy, or Ram wont do it... the Powerwagon is in a league of its own in stock form.(textured bumper/winch/grill)

i was debating the new Raptor vs Powerwagon when i purchased my 18 in december of 17...

major decisions-
Wont break the ram
V8
Real Axles

Major Drawbacks-
Heavy for my driving style
MPG
almost Tired of answering questions about it!

my setup certainly puts the beast as close to a raptor as possible, and i will crush one in everything but speed.(this is TBD offroad)
with the nanny bypasses and 2 rear hi, you will NOT have more fun in a raptor.

in saying that
I would love to add a raptor to my stable...i sold my Hellcat for my PW, and the TRX would be the next best thing but it doesnt exist.
a full bolt on current gen Raptor with bed caged suspension and driveline modifications will destroy anything else on the road.
+ i couldnt find a new one for less then 80K
Thanks for the response. The main reason I was considering the Raptor, is comfort when riding on payment. As I said, I’ll never take the truck off road. The stock Raptor suspension set up is extremely comfortable, and my wife is ok driving in it. How does your PW ride on the road with your set up? Close to the Raptor?

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have no complaints about the ride on pavement in PW when it was stock or now.

Also the beadlocks are simulated. I'd have gotten real beadlocks if fuel offroad made these are real beadlocks. They have some similar but not the red/black like this

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hi All, I’ve been lurking here for a couple of months now and just had my first opportunity to test drive a new PW. I really like the new body style and technology.

I recently sold my 2013 Ford Raptor Roush (590 HP/TRQ which I purchased new.

Now looking to replace with new PW. Couple questions, my only real concern, is the fit and finish on the PW. My Raptor had great fit and finish and zero rattles.

I’ve read and heard the PW and Ram trucks loosen up after 2-3 years and are rattle traps. I don’t off road or tow. I’m also going to be looking into softening the ride, haven’t figured that out yet. I have a 2018 G63, and after 2,000 miles, it’s starting to rattle. Drying me nuts!

This isn’t a DD, will probably put 2-5K miles a year, mostly traveling around town and to/from my lake house.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Do it you will be happy

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ride quality on the Power Wagon is excellent, even with stock suspension. Just add 37" tires, and when off road air down to 25 psi. I do this pretty much every weekend. Just last weekend my wife went with me on an off road trip in the truck. I was commenting on how well I thought the Power Wagon was working, and to my surprise she said, "and it rides better than most of your Jeeps did as well". :33: There you go, wife approved.

OP
OP
T

Todd Turbo S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ride quality on the Power Wagon is excellent, even with stock suspension. Just add 37" tires, and when off road air down to 25 psi. I do this pretty much every weekend. Just last weekend my wife went with me on an off road trip in the truck. I was commenting on how well I thought the Power Wagon was working, and to my surprise she said, "and it rides better than most of your Jeeps did as well". :33: There you go, wife approved.
Good to know. Happy Wife, Happy life...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For a 3/4 ton truck they ride fantastic... but if you expect it to ride as good as a raptor you will be in for a surprise.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Hi All, I’ve been lurking here for a couple of months now and just had my first opportunity to test drive a new PW. I really like the new body style and technology.

I recently sold my 2013 Ford Raptor Roush (590 HP/TRQ which I purchased new.

Now looking to replace with new PW. Couple questions, my only real concern, is the fit and finish on the PW. My Raptor had great fit and finish and zero rattles.

I’ve read and heard the PW and Ram trucks loosen up after 2-3 years and are rattle traps. I don’t off road or tow. I’m also going to be looking into softening the ride, haven’t figured that out yet. I have a 2018 G63, and after 2,000 miles, it’s starting to rattle. Drying me nuts!

This isn’t a DD, will probably put 2-5K miles a year, mostly traveling around town and to/from my lake house.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Every Ford and Chevy I've owned has had rattles. Neither of my Rams have developed any. The Raptor is a dune machine and the PW more of a crawler. I wouldn't hesitate to get a PW.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
But he will lose his capacity. Thuren is softer than oem PW springs. But then he can put bags and have both.... but can do that in a PW too lol. Funny that stupid door sticker says what it says
Go Carli (I did) and your capacity increases, not decreases). Super soft and great handler, but also now 2K rated.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well no comparison between the 2. The raptor is built on the F150 footprint. The Power Wagon on the 2500HD frame... no comparison there the 2500 is winner. Function and durability and bells and whistles.... Power Wagon again.... Off road capability have to say that if you are scortching desert trails Raptor, climbing a mountain Power Wagon. Want to pull the mountain over... power wagon again.. if this will be a parking lot princess that you want to put a lot of tires on, stick with the Raptor, if you plan to use this for dirty work and play... Power Wagon. Power wagon comes standard with the 6.4 liter Hemi, 410hp 430 ft/lb torque. Or go nuts and opt for the 6.7 Cummins with 1000 ft/lb of torque. Either motor would pull a raptor around the parking lot backwards in my opinion. Hands down if you want bad to the bones grunt, capability and use ability get the Power wagon!

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Power wagons dont come with a diesel option. I saw one at my local dealer that was a Laramie with a Cummins and a chrome plated power washin badge on the tailgate. No winch up front. False power wagon.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a '17 Raptor. It was an ok truck overall. When I first got the truck within 3K miles or so a coolant line popped off because a production line worker forgot to remove a quick attachment. I was on a gravel washboardy road and off it came with lights and chimes in the dash going off. Had to get it towed to the dealer. And last winter I was up at Sun Valley. Temps were something like 7* at night and the door clasps would not shut as they were frozen. There was a TSB for all F-150's for that problem. Another problem I had was the plastic oil pan warped and leaked oil. Ford replaced it....with the same part. I also didn't care for the aluminum body as it wasn't all that straight around the door pulls. The bed felt weak as well but the bedliner and rubber mat helped with that. I would also get a crackling sound upon start up and on occasional acceleration. I've heard that this sound is indicative of cam phaser problems. Have to mention the 10 spd transmission too, it does hunt around a bit.

I got tired of the eco boost engine. The power was well and good but I didn't like the delivery of power. I said to myself when I bought it that the sound wouldn't bother me. However the programmed fake engine sound through the speakers combined with the terrible real engine sound and power delivery had me wanting to get rid of it. Last June the Ram dealer gave me a nice healthy check in trade for a $61K msrp Rebel. The Rebel is a great truck and the incentives on the 1500's last June were just too good to pass up. But ultimately what I wanted all along was a Power Wagon and the incentives on the 2500's in the month of November '19 seemed to be just as good.

So comparing the PW to the Raptor. The Raptor is a play toy whereas the PW seems like it will last forever. The interior design and materials are a few notches better than the Raptor/current F-Series. The paint is much better. The drivetrain feels like a freaking freight train in comparison. I like the 8 spd much better as well. Full size bed, It'll tow more and more closely aligns with how I use a truck.

I've had many Fords as well as Dodge/Rams and in my experience it seems like Mopar has treated me better.