Continue modding or wait and purchase new?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I am stuck at a crossroads for what to do. I have a 2016 ram 1500 Sport with 70,000km. Currently only have a few mods such as a catch can, stage 3 brake kit, and a few small other things.

I have a laundry list of things I have planned to do soon such as shorty headers, exhaust, CAI, HID's, 5" tips, Custom Tune, core 4x4 control arms, hellwig sway bar.

My other option is hold off another year or two and purchase a new 5th gen ram 1500 sport when all the bugs are worked out.

As it sits talking with a dealer they offered me $35,000 and I owe $30,000 on my current ram. I also know a salesperson pretty well at my dealer and he offered to give me his dealer discount on a new truck when im ready. Only downside is losing my current 0% interest and going into 4.99% interest.

Wait and buy new 5th gen and begin modding that, or mod my current baby? Im so conflicted lol

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey everyone, I am stuck at a crossroads for what to do. I have a 2016 ram 1500 Sport with 70,000km. Currently only have a few mods such as a catch can, stage 3 brake kit, and a few small other things.

I have a laundry list of things I have planned to do soon such as shorty headers, exhaust, CAI, HID's, 5" tips, Custom Tune, core 4x4 control arms, hellwig sway bar.

My other option is hold off another year or two and purchase a new 5th gen ram 1500 sport when all the bugs are worked out.

As it sits talking with a dealer they offered me $35,000 and I owe $30,000 on my current ram. I also know a salesperson pretty well at my dealer and he offered to give me his dealer discount on a new truck when im ready. Only downside is losing my current 0% interest and going into 4.99% interest.

Wait and buy new 5th gen and begin modding that, or mod my current baby? Im so conflicted lol
Wait. Get the 5th gen and mod that. If you mod what you have now, you will NEVER get your money back if you trade in the future.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I say keep what you have. Make it your own and keep it awhile. When you want to sell, sell it yourself then go to the dealer with your cash.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Depends... if you want to start any heavy mods, a truck that's either out of warranty (or close enough to be out of warranty) is the best kind of truck to go nuts on, so you don't have to worry so much about that aspect of it. :)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO----enjoy your truck right now--if you want to mod it a little more then do it. Your the one that drives it every day. There is a difference in doing a few mod's cost wise, then say, putting a Hellcat engine in it. If it drives perfectly fine for you right now, then leave it alone---if not, add some more mod's. One other thing I've learned through the years----when a dealer or anyone that works for a dealership says anything about giving you a good deal , I'd run so fast all they would see is ass and elbows.
Jay

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the HIDs and hold off on other things. HIDs are cheap and give instant gratification. Only other item might be the sway bar because I’m 99% sure that same number is used in the 5th gens so you could swap that over.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was the same as you, wanted to see the 5th gen and possibly trade in. Waited... and waited.... and waited. Ram finally released the 5th gen... held off on pricing.. and finally released pricing. Once I saw how much the cost went up, that kinda solidified my decision, talked to my dealership last month about numbers, that finalized my choice. I don't mind the 5th gens, very nice. But I can't justify the jump in $$. I'm going to keep mine, it has 68,000km, lots of life left. I'll make it my own and just enjoy it, keep money in my pocket in the long haul. My truck with same options except the bigger duel sunroof msrp is $71,000. Even with discounts and trade in I'm $30,000 to get into that. I'll keep mine. Just me though.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well, rough numbers if you finance $40,000.00 for 7 years at 4.99% it will cost $7474.15 in interest. That's a lot of mods. Google an interest calculator and put in your numbers to be more accurate. At $500.00 a month you have 5 years to go on your current loan. Again I don't know what you pay per month these are rough numbers. It boils down to how much its worth to you to get a different truck when the "new" wears off the one you have. I assume your on the Canadian side of the river since you used kilometers and your signature says Sault Ste. Marie. I fish the St. Marys every spring in May for a week and stay on Sugar Island.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
If I was only making 5k on the trade, I’d mod it how I like, drive it another 70k miles, then sell it at blue book private value. It should be paid off by then, and I’d still be able to get well over 5k for it. As far as dealer deals they come and go all year, plus more 5th gen bugs will be worked out by that time. They may even have more options available down the road.

OP
OP
MoparBrent

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I am in Canada so prices are a little more crazy here.

Going to hold on for my truck for now and have a little fun with it. Still have 30,000km left of powertrain so I may as well ride that out at the very least.

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends... if you want to start any heavy mods, a truck that's either out of warranty (or close enough to be out of warranty) is the best kind of truck to go nuts on, so you don't have to worry so much about that aspect of it. :)
This is so true, I would mod the 16. It's almost out of warmth and then you can change the headers, etc. 5th been so far is the same motor tyranny etc as the fourth 2022-2023 I read they are going to update the guts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MoparBrent

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is so true, I would mod the 16. It's almost out of warmth and then you can change the headers, etc. 5th been so far is the same motor tyranny etc as the fourth 2022-2023 I read they are going to update the guts.

Will have to wait for new internals to come out, then wait a year for those bugs to be worked out. Guess im waiting quite a few more years for a new truck haha.

I do baby and maintain my truck very OCD like so it has been treating me well

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will have to wait for new internals to come out, then wait a year for those bugs to be worked out. Guess im waiting quite a few more years for a new truck haha.

I do baby and maintain my truck very OCD like so it has been treating me well
I had a 13 Laramie longhorn it was great some bugs to workout, air suspension problems. I traded it bought a 2018, could have gone 2019, however I one the 18 was the best of the 4th gens. I want to do some upgrades but now I have to wait out the warranty. But I did get it lifted and many other changesb602110281cd87e74ea4c31f0bbf280a.jpg3a6dbec3885be275f7ed48db0097fffb.jpg

OP
OP
MoparBrent

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 13 Laramie longhorn it was great some bugs to workout, air suspension problems. I traded it bought a 2018, could have gone 2019, however I one the 18 was the best of the 4th gens. I want to do some upgrades but now I have to wait out the warranty. But I did get it lifted and many other changesb602110281cd87e74ea4c31f0bbf280a.jpg3a6dbec3885be275f7ed48db0097fffb.jpg

Yea my 16 has been flawless for me. Think I may have to look into some parts before my wife gets home tomorrow

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Id hold on to your truck and enjoy it for a while once paid off. There's nothing like a paid off truck...

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run this exercise...go park your current truck next to a comparable ‘19 and take a step back to visually compare both. Would you buy the ‘19 or the ‘16 ??
Which one looks the best? Which one performs the best?
How much will it cost you to own for say the next four years?
Then get back in your awesome ‘16 and count the money...

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy has a 19 rebel and was at my house helping me remodel so it was parked next to my 17. His is a very nice truck incredible interior. But when they are side by side I honestly like my trucks look slightly better. Not to dog the 19 as it looks sweet. But my truck is paid off so now way I'm adding a payment for something I think looks and equal if not slightly worse (on the outside)

He keeps telling me dude trade get a rebel. I'm like I just don't care that much about having newest thing. Rather mod mine

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 and also 0%. I have the same issue. I want a 5th gen 2500, but the 0% keeps me at bay. I haven't given my truck a fair shake at all the mods I want to do, so why turn the loan and start a new one when I can enjoy what I have? I am still a few years from paying it off, but I told myself I want a second vehicle next, not another truck to replace mine. Preferably a hellcat ;).

OP
OP
MoparBrent

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I’ve talked with the wife. She gets her Audi car now and I get a new truck around 2024-2025. By then my truck will have been fully paid off and I’ll get to enjoy a few years of no truck payments

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you still get excited looking at it, keep it and do the mods. If you don't, get something that does.