Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Good Evening All

I was reading about two weeks ago in a post about a Electric FAN Conversion from a Fan Clutch. One of the people replying named a company that had a kit (I think). I have been crawling the forums trying to find that thread with no joy. Would anybody happen to know of a conversion kit? Or a company making conversion kits? (not flex a lite)

Ron

bestonearound

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 1998, 2001
Engine
5.9, 5.2, 5.2
To add to this, I am like the poster - wanting to exchange manual for electric. My research has shown a basic wiring/relay kit from Amazon ($30-$40) will do the trick, combined with a Flex-a-Lite 180 fan. HOWEVER, I also know, from years of owning many Foxbody Mustangs, there is a junkyard setup or mod that is far better than anything retail. I cannot find a "2nd Gen Dodge Ram Junkyard Mod List" that has a electric fan entry (something like, "basic wiring kit from Amazon plus the electric fan from a 2006-2011 Toyota 4Runner or 2002-2004 Corvette bolts right up with a little adjustment").

So I would love to know the original poster's answers to his questions, as well as the miraculous junkyard mod option.

Thanks!

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if you guys are referring to the v6 efan swap. but if you are, you'll need a tuner to be able to set your fan engagement temp lower. Just swapping to the efan and removing the mechanical will make cooling worse.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I couldn’t tell you the parts needed to make it work, but the early to mid 90s Lincoln and Taurus fans are badass. I bought one from a junkyard for $30 and put it in my hotrod. More CFM than just about anything in the aftermarket.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To add to what Black1500Ram says, the "V6 eFan Mod" is fairly well documented. The "best" option seems to be to get the eFan from a V6, (Hence the name), and swap BOTH the mechanical (power robber), AND the whimpy v8 Efan. I have heard some of the "retail" replacement fans are inferior, and can require a rewire of some level, while the V6 fan is pretty much plug and play (as far as the physical labor).

Rumor is, you can "fake" the tune for a bit if it isn't too beastly outside (AKA NOT TEXAS RIGHT NOW), by using the AC to "trick" the electric into engaging. AKA why I plan to do the mod myself in about 2 months, when temps in my state of North Carolina start to drop off a little. Once the fan starts saving me a little gas (i hope), I can justify to the accountant (Wife) why I need ~$230 in hardware/software to reprogram the ram. (Which now seems ridiculous to me, as I can get the stuff to program her 21 RAV4 for $55 TOTAL, while my OLDER '18 1500 needs $230. And her kit is using factory programming software!)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if you guys are referring to the v6 efan swap. but if you are, you'll need a tuner to be able to set your fan engagement temp lower. Just swapping to the efan and removing the mechanical will make cooling worse.

To add to what Black1500Ram says, the "V6 eFan Mod" is fairly well documented. The "best" option seems to be to get the eFan from a V6, (Hence the name), and swap BOTH the mechanical (power robber), AND the whimpy v8 Efan. I have heard some of the "retail" replacement fans are inferior, and can require a rewire of some level, while the V6 fan is pretty much plug and play (as far as the physical labor).

Rumor is, you can "fake" the tune for a bit if it isn't too beastly outside (AKA NOT TEXAS RIGHT NOW), by using the AC to "trick" the electric into engaging. AKA why I plan to do the mod myself in about 2 months, when temps in my state of North Carolina start to drop off a little. Once the fan starts saving me a little gas (i hope), I can justify to the accountant (Wife) why I need ~$230 in hardware/software to reprogram the ram. (Which now seems ridiculous to me, as I can get the stuff to program her 21 RAV4 for $55 TOTAL, while my OLDER '18 1500 needs $230. And her kit is using factory programming software!)

This is posted in the 2nd gen page. Not the 4th gen page which is what you are referencing.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure. I’ve seen what you are referring to. It was a steel shroud folded like a box with dual fans and used a cheap temp switch to turn them on and off. You would be better off using a solid state variable speed controller as it is easier on the fans and can be wired to the ac as a trigger as well. You could take dimensions of the radiator and build your own shroud or have a shop bend it for you and then buy 2 spal fans that will fit and wire them to a controller. Just remember that you need to have enough amperage available from the alternator as that is a heck of a load not originally designed into the system.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I wouldn't count on the gas savings helping you, generally you will save almost nothing in fuel costs on a 4th gen.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is posted in the 2nd gen page. Not the 4th gen page which is what you are referencing.
Woops... Wondering how I got into the 2nd gen page...
I wouldn't count on the gas savings helping you, generally you will save almost nothing in fuel costs on a 4th gen.
From what I have seen, it looks like I might get up to ~10% better, which would be ~2 MPG. I have gotten to ~18MPG by not using the "fun pedal". But also if I can find some tweaks to help... Or just wait a bit longer...

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Woops... Wondering how I got into the 2nd gen page...

From what I have seen, it looks like I might get up to ~10% better, which would be ~2 MPG. I have gotten to ~18MPG by not using the "fun pedal". But also if I can find some tweaks to help... Or just wait a bit longer...
On my 2016, I got exactly 0-0.5 mpg gain.
On the older trucks it was a nice gain for example on my 2001 5.9 Dakota it was about a 1-2 mpg gain.
On my 5.2 1999 dakota it was a 2-4 mpg gain.

The 99 had just the clutch fan.
The 01 had electric and clutch fan.
The 16 has the electric and clutch fan, but a much more efficient clutch fan.
Your 2018 is going to be like my 16.

If you want to test it, just pull the clutch fan off, you have an electric fan on the truck already that is more than capable of cooling the truck. Your temps will swing a bit, but if you turn on the AC then they will stay fairly stable.
The V6 fan is only about 1-2" larger than the stock e fan but it has a better shroud - however if you leave the stock shroud on with the stock e fan it will cool the truck without a problem.