Coolant temp issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckidd_21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, a little backstory here. About 2 weeks ago had my water pump go out. Took it to a local shop and they replaced it, the thermostat, and the serpentine belt and “replaced coolant”. About a day after I got it back I checked the coolant reservoir and noticed it was bone dry. The radiator was full so I went back to the shop to get the coolant filled back up. They apologized and said “the coolant systems are so big it could’ve had a big burp and pulled all the coolant out of the reservoir”. I also replaced the fan clutch as it was toast and used OEM. I refilled the reservoir and it all seems fine. I have been noticing, though, that I am running a little hot. Driving at 70 on the highway I’m pretty consistent at 208 when before I was 203. If I have to give it some gas to overtake a truck or going up a slight incline it creeps up 212-214 and will slowly go down to 208 again. Note I’m completely unloaded just me in the car. I haven’t seen it above 210 unless I was towing our trailer. Normally I sit right around 203. Anything you guys can think of that caused this? Or am I just being overly anxious? We are heading on a hunting trip with our trailer here in CO in a week and I don’t want to have any issues going up these inclines. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, a little backstory here. About 2 weeks ago had my water pump go out. Took it to a local shop and they replaced it, the thermostat, and the serpentine belt and “replaced coolant”. About a day after I got it back I checked the coolant reservoir and noticed it was bone dry. The radiator was full so I went back to the shop to get the coolant filled back up. They apologized and said “the coolant systems are so big it could’ve had a big burp and pulled all the coolant out of the reservoir”. I also replaced the fan clutch as it was toast and used OEM. I refilled the reservoir and it all seems fine. I have been noticing, though, that I am running a little hot. Driving at 70 on the highway I’m pretty consistent at 208 when before I was 203. If I have to give it some gas to overtake a truck or going up a slight incline it creeps up 212-214 and will slowly go down to 208 again. Note I’m completely unloaded just me in the car. I haven’t seen it above 210 unless I was towing our trailer. Normally I sit right around 203. Anything you guys can think of that caused this? Or am I just being overly anxious? We are heading on a hunting trip with our trailer here in CO in a week and I don’t want to have any issues going up these inclines. Thanks in advance!
Perhaps these guys didn't use an airlift to fill the cooling system. Did they use an OE water pump?
Law of descending logic: "What's the last thing one did to the car before the problem arose"?

If it were MY vehicle, I'd install a factory pump, thermostat, and pressure cap form the DEALER, not off the internet!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Shop is right about coolant level, it is very hard for shops to get level right 100% of the time for that reason air in the system but it is something you want to check for a while to make sure there is not a bigger issue. You can always put a different thermostat see if that fixes it 180 maybe. I would be worried as well, anytime your fix takes you away from what was going on for 40k miles, I would put effort into it. Now, your thermostat opens at 203f, but your fans come on low at 209f, so that is why you see the temp stopish there, then the fans kick on high @ 219f.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get those temps down with a thermostat and save those fans from working so hard. I'm not 100 on the open temps I know for some reason they come on sooner. Something you can tune as well. But I would still want my thermostat to be used at the low end of temperature increases.

Last edited:

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I learn something new every so often on the Forum. I am looking at changing out the water pump, thermostat, plugs, and serpentine belt in a few weeks. Have just over 90K on my Ram. Temps ran anywhere from 197 to 213 F. Replaced the radiator and have work done to the suspension.

Some was preventive maintenance since I live in Belize.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357