Coolant Temp at 240F while at hwy speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKerr72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no codes or any system indications that it is having a problem, but once I get upwards of 60mph the coolant temp goes to 240-242 degrees.
I have tried flushing the system out, bleeding the lines, and replacing the thermostat, I also tried three different brands/types of coolant.
Tried talking to the Chrysler dealership and got the "well sometimes they just run hot, but I suppose we can look at it if you want" nonsense.
Ideas?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does the top radiator hose get warm when the engine runs? Does it go straight up to temp whatever road you are on or is it only on the highway?

Definitely shouldn't be that hot.

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Confused here...you're posted in the V6 Engine section and your info shows you're in a 5.7 hemi? 240 is not a normal temp moving down the road (or really sitting idle either).

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Collapsed hose , bad water pump, what types of coolant was mixed ? they are known to gel if the wrong kind are combined.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You may want to check the coolant for combustion gases, you may have a bad head gasket or cracked head/block.

OP
OP
S

SKerr72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the top radiator hose get warm when the engine runs? Does it go straight up to temp whatever road you are on or is it only on the highway?

Definitely shouldn't be that hot.
Yes the top hose is warm when the engine is running, as far as I can tell there has been no impact on performance, but I am almost certain it is just a matter of time... it is strange to me I am not getting any sort of codes from the system.

I saw another person asking about combustion gases, I am not sure how I check for that, but I am going to see if I can YouTube it.
Called Chrysler and they said they could see me sometime in March or April... it is like booking a major surgery to have a dealership look under the hood these days.

I have been using Peak North American 50/50 from Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/PEAK-Ori...-for-North-American-Vehicles-Orange/897425340

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I would not wait for the dealer. Any decent independent shop should be able to diagnose a cooling issue. Have you had the truck since new? How many miles? Something is going on that won't get better with time.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep running it that hot your going to blow head gaskets and warp the heads stop driving it go to a local shop dealerships suck any ways.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
There are no codes or any system indications that it is having a problem, but once I get upwards of 60mph the coolant temp goes to 240-242 degrees.
I have tried flushing the system out, bleeding the lines, and replacing the thermostat, I also tried three different brands/types of coolant.
Tried talking to the Chrysler dealership and got the "well sometimes they just run hot, but I suppose we can look at it if you want" nonsense.
Ideas?
The guys are right, not normal, and you should know that as it didn't run hot like that before. Get it into a good shop and get it fixed before you screw up the motor.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have a Thermal gun to check to see if it is truly running at that temp and the sensor is not bad? Is your fan electrical or mechanical? If it is electrical does it turn on? If it is mechanical it should have some resistance on it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try water wetter and see if it works. Using 3 different coolants and brands is inadvisable, so first get the temperature thing under control, then address what you did by many flushes and a movement to a universal coolants. What brands and coolants did you use?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ideas?
Just becuase you replaced the thermostat,doesn't mean it's any good.These days it's more luck of the draw if you do get a good one.If nothing else rears it's head,pull the thrmostat and chuck it in a pot of water on the stove and use a meat thermometer to verify it's opening at the proper temp,which is 203 if it's a stock t-stat

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Easy way to tell if the thermostat failed. Top hose will be hot. Bottom hose will be cold.

Almost lost my engine at 135,000 to the tstat similar to the symptoms you have described. What is odd is you say you checked all the right things that need to be looked at. I would think its installation error from there if the procedures are correct.

OP
OP
S

SKerr72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ideas?
Status update: I replaced the pump and the issue is now fixed. It was a long 7 hours, but I got it swapped and burped and all that fun stuff and it is running steady between 204-206 degrees now.
Thank you all for the input!

I apologize for my ignorance; I did not see any means of editing the original post to provide an update.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just becuase you replaced the thermostat,doesn't mean it's any good.These days it's more luck of the draw if you do get a good one.If nothing else rears it's head,pull the thrmostat and chuck it in a pot of water on the stove and use a meat thermometer to verify it's opening at the proper temp,which is 203 if it's a stock t-stat

rather than start a new thread let me ask something. have you seen the purple oat change to a more red color after 7-8yrs ?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
rather than start a new thread let me ask something. have you seen the purple oat change to a more red color after 7-8yrs ?
Yes
It does change color basically as soon as you drive a few weeks
The properties of this coolant as far as color goes is very strange. It will appear purple when poured but changes color under many conditions (leading to a lot of discussion on color!). Check out this video at the 3:43 mark to see what I'm talking about. It's all the colors everyone describes in one glass?