Cooper AT3 4S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got these put on my Ram yesterday and I wanted to give some initial thoughts for anyone considering this tire. I've had a slight vibration when going anywhere from 60-70 MPH for the longest time. It wasn't anything crazy, but definitely noticeable. I had the SR-As balanced multiple times but it never completely solved the issue. The new tires solved it completely. I discussed this a little bit here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/slight-vibration-at-high-speed-2019-ram-classic-brand-new.148405/

Price: Paid $200 per tire and $958 out the door. Bought at Discount Tire. There's a $70 rebate available too.

Look/Appearance: The picture doesn't do it justice. They look amazing compared to the SR-As. This is probably the biggest improvement over stock in my mind (so far).

Feel: Smooth and composed. No high speed vibrations. It does seem like I feel small bumps a little more but I also feel more in control of the truck. I drive over a lot of cobblestone and bumpy roads every day, so this is a welcome improvement.

Grip: More than enough. I took a couple of hard corners with no issues. It's a truck, so I'm not tossing it around all the time. I'm excited to test the grip in the wet. Being in Florida, this is very important as it rains just about every day during the summer.

Noise: Can't hear them on the highway. They are as quiet if not more quiet than the stock tires. I hope this holds true as they wear.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase. Anyone on the fence about getting rid of the stock tires should just do it. You don't need to get these tires, there are plenty of good options out there.

InkedIMG_20190820_195302_LI.jpg

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let us know about the grip in the rain. I need new tires soon. I’m in Chicago so I need good rain and snow tires. I’m on the fence about a couple of choices for my truck right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like they'd be great on snow/ice/rain with all that siping.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran Coopers on my last SUV and had really good luck with them, first set went 60k and the second set had about 20k when I sold it.

RGAS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know about the grip in the rain. I need new tires soon. I’m in Chicago so I need good rain and snow tires. I’m on the fence about a couple of choices for my truck right now.

Put these exact tires on my ram in December. Had to get the crappy sra's off. 12,000 miles and one Wisconsin winter and they have been excellent so far.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Unfortunately have not had good luck with these tires. First set had really poor wet weather traction after about 10K miles. Second set would not balance. After 6 oz on the outside of one tire and residual road force of 36 lbs on another that set got sent back. Bought Michelin Defender LTX and have been very happy with them.

Last edited:

Ronin_Joe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are on the truck now. I have about 60K (just under) on them. All highway driving. As they got older they seemed to slip a bit more in the rain. Initially they were much better in both rain and snow (to be expected). The were a little noisier than the stocks but nothing unexpected at all. Today ordered some Falkens to tryout (Sears could not get these for me anymore)

IMG_3290.JPG IMG_3288.JPG IMG_3289.JPG IMG_3290.JPG

OP
OP
fijicorey

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately have not had good luck with these tires. First set had really poor wet weather traction after about 10K miles. Second set would not balance. After 6 oz on the outside of one tire and residual road force of 36 lbs on another that set got sent back. Bought Michelin Defender LTX and have been very happy with them.

Dang, that sucks! I see that you're in FL as well, so you also probably value wet weather traction. I'm really hoping I have a different experience than you in that regard. Obviously, time will tell!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So do I. I hope they work better for you. I actually got rid of them long before they wore out. The back end kept fish-tailing on highway on-ramps and right or left turns. Scared the crap out of me one time too many. I have a 2016 2500 with the 6.7. Maybe I am just not good at controlling the low end torque. I have 25K on the Michelin's and have not noticed a decrease in wet weather traction.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I put these on in the beginning of summer. I can tell you the grip on the rain is outstanding.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put on some Falkens about a month and so far so good seem to ride good I looked at the coopers they were in another town so I went with the Falkens since their shop was right down the road and have taken care of me before.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have gotten around to replacing my worn out stock tires on my 2017 1500 Big Horn. Got 47K out of them, probably better than most.

I am really liking the AT3s. As quiet as the stock tires, look good to me, grip seems great. Will get to try them in a bit of snow tomorrow, expect good things.

Got them at a local Cooper dealer, $860 out the door, pretty good price. Stock size, fine with me.

The stock Goodyears still had a bit of life in them, but not enough for a winter, so it was time to switch.

New.jpg

OP
OP
fijicorey

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The grip is very good with these. I have to stomp on it from a dead stop to get them to spin in the wet. I've only had them spin unintentionally while going through a bit of mud with the bed unloaded. I don't do anything extreme since I only have 2wd.

I just took the truck on a 700+ mile road trip and my MPG didn't really appear to suffer. I consistently got 20-21 MPG, which is about what I got before these tires.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got these put on my Ram yesterday and I wanted to give some initial thoughts for anyone considering this tire. I've had a slight vibration when going anywhere from 60-70 MPH for the longest time. It wasn't anything crazy, but definitely noticeable. I had the SR-As balanced multiple times but it never completely solved the issue. The new tires solved it completely. I discussed this a little bit here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/slight-vibration-at-high-speed-2019-ram-classic-brand-new.148405/

Price: Paid $200 per tire and $958 out the door. Bought at Discount Tire. There's a $70 rebate available too.

Look/Appearance: The picture doesn't do it justice. They look amazing compared to the SR-As. This is probably the biggest improvement over stock in my mind (so far).

Feel: Smooth and composed. No high speed vibrations. It does seem like I feel small bumps a little more but I also feel more in control of the truck. I drive over a lot of cobblestone and bumpy roads every day, so this is a welcome improvement.

Grip: More than enough. I took a couple of hard corners with no issues. It's a truck, so I'm not tossing it around all the time. I'm excited to test the grip in the wet. Being in Florida, this is very important as it rains just about every day during the summer.

Noise: Can't hear them on the highway. They are as quiet if not more quiet than the stock tires. I hope this holds true as they wear.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase. Anyone on the fence about getting rid of the stock tires should just do it. You don't need to get these tires, there are plenty of good options out there.

View attachment 177347

I assume these were the AT3 4S? (Not XLT)

After great pain and way too much research, about to pull the trigger on a set of these at stock size. As much as I WANT to upsize including a Bilstein 5100 level, got a kiddo headed into college this month and there's this pesky habit of expenses coming along.

And even though I'm a hard core Michelin guy, hard to look away from the pricing/performance/look of these.

Looking forward to the new shoes on the truck. (Your rig looks great and thanks for sharing on the experience so far.)

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/60 20 when I upgraded from stock. That was at around 25k miles. I’m now at 70k, and getting ready to get new tires again. This time, I’m looking for something in the P metric regular load range, as opposed to the E rated Ridge Grapplers. The E rated tires are stiff and quite a bit harsher ride. I bought the ram for the great ride quality, and feel the e rated tires diminished that.

I’m currently debating between these and the discount tire exclusive ATP. The ATPs appear to be slightly more aggressive, and are also about $30/tire cheaper. Both are standard load rated, so ride quality should improve vs the Ridge Grapplers. Being 2wd and living in Houston, my off-road driving is extremely limited. I could probably get away with regular street tires, but I like the idea of extra grip for the occasional beach trip.

I’ve always had great luck with scoopers, going back to 1998 with some cobra radials on my old ranger. I had HT plus on my 13 F150 and they were a great tire as well. More of a street tire, but tread pattern seemed like it would be ok in mild off road situations.

OP
OP
fijicorey

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume these were the AT3 4S? (Not XLT)

After great pain and way too much research, about to pull the trigger on a set of these at stock size. As much as I WANT to upsize including a Bilstein 5100 level, got a kiddo headed into college this month and there's this pesky habit of expenses coming along.

And even though I'm a hard core Michelin guy, hard to look away from the pricing/performance/look of these.

Looking forward to the new shoes on the truck. (Your rig looks great and thanks for sharing on the experience so far.)

I got the 4S, not the XLT. The truck spends most of it's timing commuting and doing truck things on weekends. The only thing I would say now is that after a year, the tires appear to be more noisy than when they were new.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that pain all too well. Ours is starting her 3rd year. She's been at home at the local community college for 2 years, but heading off to university in 2 weeks. The cost difference is staggering.

Last edited:

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the 4S, not the XLT. The truck spends most of it's timing commuting and doing truck things on weekends. The only thing I would say now is that after a year, the tires appear to be more noisy than when they were new.

Appreciate the feedback! And duly noted...