Core 4x4 Panhard Bar too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed my ihc cut kit and core 4x4 control arms along with a 4 inch drop spring. Went to install the panhard bar and with the axle centered, I can't get enough adjustment to make it shorter. I need about another 1/4 inch. I have an email into their tech person. Anyone else run into this issue?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have the core 4x4 panhard bar that has the curve in the middle, where the rear diff is, so it's not too long. I'm down 6 in the rear.

Do you have the straight bar? Have you tried to make it the same length as the stock bar?

That is where I would start.

My .02, I hope it helps

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the core 4x4 panhard bar that has the curve in the middle, where the rear diff is, so it's not too long. I'm down 6 in the rear.

Do you have the straight bar? Have you tried to make it the same length as the stock bar?

That is where I would start.

My .02, I hope it helps
Yes curved bar here as well. I started with it at stock length. Then I noticed my drivers side was about 1/2" skewed to that side. Disconnected the bar and got the rear end centered. Went to turn in the Johnny joints at each end and can't collapse it enough.

I mean I guess that's not that big of a difference but for the cost I would have hoped they designed in some tolerance to make is shorter and not just longer.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Yes curved bar here as well. I started with it at stock length. Then I noticed my drivers side was about 1/2" skewed to that side. Disconnected the bar and got the rear end centered. Went to turn in the Johnny joints at each end and can't collapse it enough.

I mean I guess that's not that big of a difference but for the cost I would have hoped they designed in some tolerance to make is shorter and not just longer.
Op,

Was it that far off with the stock bar prior to lowering?

How are you measuring center? I ask cause there are a couple of methods that are utilized.

Just trying to understand. Not questioning skills.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem :)

It was a little off before I lowered it but seems like the lowering made it more noticeable. I tried a couple different measurements. Straight edge across the tire sidewall and up the side to either see a gap or tire sticking out from the bedside. Also compare measurements from that Straight edge to the inside of the wheel well (bed wheel well, liner is not currently installed).

I actually noticed it by naked eye first when comparing sides and figured I would messure since I haven't taken it in for alignment yet. Still waiting on front springs to arrive.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Random thoughts on possible things to check

How did you install your rear springs? Did you follow the ihc instructions on how the springs need to face or installed?

Did you cut any coils off the springs or are they the straight out of the box 4 inch lowering springs?

Have you used a plum bob to have a absolutely straight point to measure against? I measured from the frame to the rim with a straight edge, then I dropped a plum bob by taping it to the bed side and measured from the center of the rear wheel to the bob line with a straight edge and reviewed the difference in the figures.

Are you dividing the distance you are off by 2?

Has your bed been off? Like to replace the fuel pump?

Are you measuring at ride height?

Without seeing it, I'm guessing and trying to cover the water front.

I hope this is helpful

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Set up a plum Bob from the outer edge of the frame on each side and took some measurements to the wheel. Look like I'm still 1/4 inch to the drivers side with the bar at its shortest. I tightened it up since I want to get an alignment this week. I'll see if I hear back from the manufacturer.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
One last question, when you lowered your truck, did you try the track bar with and without the relocation bracket installed? Did it make a difference?

And is your bar level now, even though it is too long?

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did not try it without the relocation bracket. Currently with the bracket the bar is parallel with the ground. I thought about removing to to see if that helps but I fugured having at flat as it is must be beneficial since they give the bracket.

I'm getting new tires put onthis week that are slightly wider so I'll see how it looks and if I want to see if someone makes a bar a little shorter than stock.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try measuring for the center of the frame rails. If it was off before that’s odd. The bed itself may be shifted off center skewing your measurements. With the bar flat at stock length it should be pretty well centered

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
If it really is too long, you could remove the relocation bracket and re drill the other mounting hole farther away but parallel so you bar is level.

Some do not run the relocation bracket and just re drill the mounting location on the passenger side. This will allow you to increase the length between mounting locations and use the bar as designed.

Its an option, but it works.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it really is too long, you could remove the relocation bracket and re drill the other mounting hole farther away but parallel so you bar is level.

Some do not run the relocation bracket and just re drill the mounting location on the passenger side. This will allow you to increase the length between mounting locations and use the bar as designed.

Its an option, but it works.
Thanks. Never thought of that. I'll see how it looks after my new tires and alignment.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No resolution yet. Currently in conversation with core 4x4. Their suggestion was to remove the ihc relocation bracket. I explained to them with the bracket the bar is parallel with the ground at ride height. which is preferred and why they supply that bracket. They were leaning towards making me a shorter bar but haven't heard back yet.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No resolution yet. Currently in conversation with core 4x4. Their suggestion was to remove the ihc relocation bracket. I explained to them with the bracket the bar is parallel with the ground at ride height. which is preferred and why they supply that bracket. They were leaning towards making me a shorter bar but haven't heard back yet.
The IHC bracket is designed to be used with the stock bar. The core 4x4 bar set to stock length should work fine and center the axle unless it was not centered prior. Something seems off. Either the axle itself has an issue or the frame mounting is off. Can you post a picture of the track bar mounting from both ends and one off the whole rear end.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't really understand why they would manufacture a bar that would not have some adjustment smaller then stock. Same with their control arms as well. At least give a 1/4" of negative adjustment not just positive. I'm sure the thread on the Johnny joint is plenty long.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything looks normal. Odd that it’s off center. Smallest measurement you should need is stock. Lifting or lowering you would need a longer bar to center without using relocation brackets so it is very odd that you would need a bar shorter than stock.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't really understand why they would manufacture a bar that would not have some adjustment smaller then stock. Same with their control arms as well. At least give a 1/4" of negative adjustment not just positive. I'm sure the thread on the Johnny joint is plenty long.
Couple options. You could slice a bit off each end of the bar to make it shorter,or as suggested re-drill the mounting hole on the frame side. I never liked the bracket to relocate the panhard bar when i lowered my truck,so i re-drilled the mounting holes so the bar sat level with the diff. I re-drilled both the diff bracket and the frame bracket

Attachments

• IMG_3994.JPG
    IMG_3994.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 11