Corsa or Borla alternative?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in the market for a new exhaust for my 2017 Rebel. I leave for work at 5:30 am and don't want something that is going to wake the neighbors so I have been looked at the Corsa Touring and the Borla S Type. There is two issues with these though.

1) The tips are welded on. This may not be an issue for many, but having a Rebel and using it off-road a lot, I want the ability to remove the tips (like I can on the stock exhaust). That way, if I drag my ass on a rock, I don't trash the tips.

2) The $1300 price tags without being able to hear them in person first.

One thought I had was to try to find the mufflers without the full exhaust, and then keep my factory pipes. This way, I can also look at deciding if I want to (or need to) keep the stock resonators or remove them also.

I do have the 3.92 gears and most of my drive to work is in the 45-55 mph range with MDS on. And NO I DO NOT WANT TO TURN OFF MDS. I like my 18+ mpg on my daily drive, but I do not want super loud drone.

So, the actual questions.

1) Does anyone know if you can buy either muffler listed above by itself (without the full cat-back)?
2) Does anyone know if there is an alternative (sounding similar) muffler to the above that doesn't drone or sound like a helicopter with MDS.

If you have a custom muffler only (keeping resonators and factory duals), I would love to hear it.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I havent heard of the solo, but will look into it. The 22 Magnaflow was my first choice actually, but I read they have a lot of drone with the 3.92 gears at highway speeds. Any experience with it personally?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Solo Exhaust Delete $170
Nick@gotexhaust
Direct bolt in no cutting/welding! Simply replaces the factory muffler. Install takes about 45 min including getting the tools out and putting them away. All ya need is a couple of 17 mm sockets and some wd40.
Best sound no drone
110% free flowing
A lil more low end torque
I’ve been using it since new and love it. I’ve got a couple of videos of it on YouTube. Look for my name

The Blue Mule

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all. I have been in the Mopar world with vehicles dating back to a 70 Dart, and nearly all of them have had aftermarket exhaust, but I never heard of Solo... I will definitely check them out.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Solo is a very good quality brand. They make products for many applications. They are less known mainly due to their marketing isnt as in your face as some of the other brands. I personally run a Solo exhaust on my Power Wagon.

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love my Corsa. Literally no drone. The tips are bolt on also. It's my favorite exhaust system I've ever owned. However, now that I'm boosted again, the sound of shifting is a little annoying.

20190827_095710.jpg

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I havent heard of the solo, but will look into it. The 22 Magnaflow was my first choice actually, but I read they have a lot of drone with the 3.92 gears at highway speeds. Any experience with it personally?

Well in my case I have 3.92, but with long tubes headers the truck is louder than stock from the start, also when I was running dual, since I don't have the cutouts in the bumper I had to use turn down right before the bumper. I had a little bit of drone with the 22" Magnaflow, but the issue was probably the turn down since I had absolutely no drone with the 22" Magnaflow and the side exit.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

i have 3.55 gearing and the 22". it is not drone free as I had hoped, but it is a minimal drone compared to other brands i've heard. if i was replacing i'd probably try a Solo next. i don't see how the drone is different depending on gearing. drone is a factor usually in the 1500-2000rpm range so i doubt its any worse than mine at highway speed. maybe give or take 5 mph makes a difference in my experience to yours, say. most highways i go on are 62 mph highways so i tend to drive 60-65 on them.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thats an idea to keep in mind. and get 5" black gibson tips at the same time!

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well in my case I have 3.92, but with long tubes headers the truck is louder than stock from the start, also when I was running dual, since I don't have the cutouts in the bumper I had to use turn down right before the bumper. I had a little bit of drone with the 22" Magnaflow, but the issue was probably the turn down since I had absolutely no drone with the 22" Magnaflow and the side exit.
so this post gave me the hitch to install again the dual exit with the 22" Magnaflow but I used the factory tips (angled under the bumper) instead of turn down. Unfortunately there's still some drone at ~1700rpm on the highway.

what's funny is that the 22" Magnaflow single 3" in/out doesn't drone even with a turn down at the muffler (in front of the axle) or using the factory side exit tail pipe (large resonator), but will drone if I use the factory tail with the resonator removed.

my guess is that the bed resonate and create the drone. It could be the hanger that are to stiff and transmit the vibration to the bed.

putting back my single 3" in/out after dinner ;)

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out Pypes as well. It's a complete muffler/pipe kit, sounds great.

Thanks! I think the Pypes Violator is a top contender so far. It doesn't sound too obnoxious o startup, but has a little growl when getting in it. I am still a bit torn though between the Pypes and Solo Mach 40. I do know that if I go the Pypes route, I will mock it all up and then have it welded in because I don't want all the clamps.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Solo Mach 44 muffler on my truck at one time. Absolutely no drone, but it`s not very loud. Louder than stock but still very tame. It's a great sounding muffler. I would imagine the mach 40 is similar but louder. Great quality as well.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the solo mach 40 and it does what you are asking for. Good flow no drone not very loud. Get in touch w nick. I posted a review and pictures this spring

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is this solo mach 40 a better option then the mufflex dod24m? Its almost 100 bucks more.
I was even thinking of just bolting up a borla pro xs and adding an extension pipe. I just want a nice sound with no cab drone!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so this post gave me the hitch to install again the dual exit with the 22" Magnaflow but I used the factory tips (angled under the bumper) instead of turn down. Unfortunately there's still some drone at ~1700rpm on the highway.

what's funny is that the 22" Magnaflow single 3" in/out doesn't drone even with a turn down at the muffler (in front of the axle) or using the factory side exit tail pipe (large resonator), but will drone if I use the factory tail with the resonator removed.

my guess is that the bed resonate and create the drone. It could be the hanger that are to stiff and transmit the vibration to the bed.

putting back my single 3" in/out after dinner ;)

@bassheadhemi curious about your comment on the 22". do you have a crewcab out of curiosity? i read in the past the crews have more of an issue with drone. i have the same experience with my MF and dual. interesting thought about the hangar i hadn't considered. i had mine welded on and i know they created some new hangars but i don't remember where they were used or if the muffler itself came with hangars.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@bassheadhemi curious about your comment on the 22". do you have a crewcab out of curiosity? i read in the past the crews have more of an issue with drone. i have the same experience with my MF and dual. interesting thought about the hangar i hadn't considered. i had mine welded on and i know they created some new hangars but i don't remember where they were used or if the muffler itself came with hangars.
I have a crew cab with the 6'4 bed.

One thing I noticed when replacing the dual exit MF 22 for my single exit MF 22 is that the dual internal are much different and the packing doesn't go all the way to the exit side, there's maybe a 3-4in of empty space. This could explain the different tone of both mufflers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca