Crankcase vent to intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowandarrow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 24v
02 cummins 24v I heard a suggestion to run the crankcase vent hose to my air intake. The concern with the factory set is that the hose end could freeze up and cause problems. I am in interior Alaska with extreme cold.
Has anyone done this or is there a good reason not to?

tourqued

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I used to live out in Juneau ...... barf!
My concern might be an engine takes off, fueling on oil if something ever went wrong (run on)
Never heard of a Cummins doing it...but that would create a way?
The front vent pipe should not be too be a problem as it is...if it is , maybe that should be addressed?
They all dribble a little and i figure it is just salt protection...........

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to live out in Juneau ...... barf!
My concern might be an engine takes off, fueling on oil if something ever went wrong (run on)
Never heard of a Cummins doing it...but that would create a way?
The front vent pipe should not be too be a problem as it is...if it is , maybe that should be addressed?
They all dribble a little and i figure it is just salt protection..........
I suppose anything is possible, but for a diesel to run away you have to have a pretty steady source of unregulated fuel supply. That is usually an oil leak within the turbo. So long as there is still a baffle inside the valve cover, I don’t see it just steadily pumping oil out at a rate strong enough to support the engine running away. That said, if that ever happens to you, cover the air intake with something strong like a board to choke the engine out before it destroys itself.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
PCV can be an issue if you don’t know the vacuum at idle and WOT. The set up you mentioned is fine. Severe leak down, and I mean severe or extreme wet/wash starts a possibility in a no start or cold start condition. All those issues should be explored. There’s a new adjustable PCV available and would be well suited for power adders e.g., turbo. If you’re just venting the crankcase now, but want s warm air source for your intake, there’s ways to capture exhaust heat and vent into intake. Relieves concern of high soot oil into intake.