Take intake manifold to the carwash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If nothings looking wonky on the bottom end,the next area to look over would be the heads,for maybe a broken rocker stand,if that checks out,i got nothing,other then maybe pulling each rod cap,and checking the rod and main bearings over. Only other option might be the engine wasn't properly cleaned when it was rebuilt,and those chunks might be from before the rebuild.
Can I pull and reinstall the rod caps from the bottom without causing problems later? I mean, obviously I have access, but it just feels wrong lol.

I'll check the rocker arms and the tops of the heads and if I can't find anything I guess it's time to start cleaning and getting ready to reassemble.

It just really bugs the shyt out of me that all the lifters and cam are fine. The tick was very noticeable. And I already took care of the exhaust tick issue with shorty headers and ARP bolts.

What's your opinion of the oil pump? I have the new one already, but it's $200 if I can return it.

I'm not much the praying type, but my wife is, so I think we're gonna send up a good one tonight and hope for the best. This has been just one more problem in a string of unfortunate things happening with my family, and I just need it to work.

Thanks for your help.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can I pull and reinstall the rod caps from the bottom without causing problems later? I mean, obviously I have access, but it just feels wrong lol.

I'll check the rocker arms and the tops of the heads and if I can't find anything I guess it's time to start cleaning and getting ready to reassemble.

It just really bugs the shyt out of me that all the lifters and cam are fine. The tick was very noticeable. And I already took care of the exhaust tick issue with shorty headers and ARP bolts.

What's your opinion of the oil pump? I have the new one already, but it's $200 if I can return it.

I'm not much the praying type, but my wife is, so I think we're gonna send up a good one tonight and hope for the best. This has been just one more problem in a string of unfortunate things happening with my family, and I just need it to work.

Thanks for your help.
If moneys a bit tight,i'd reuse the stock pump,as the melling pump you have is basically a stock pump with a stiffer bypass spring. If you don't feel comfortable pulling the rod caps or main bearing caps,you can probably leave them alone,but you can pull them in chassis,as it's not all that uncommon to ram new bearings into an assembled engine.
There's probably more then a couple youtube video's showing how to do it on a hemi though.

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If moneys a bit tight,i'd reuse the stock pump,as the melling pump you have is basically a stock pump with a stiffer bypass spring. If you don't feel comfortable pulling the rod caps or main bearing caps,you can probably leave them alone,but you can pull them in chassis,as it's not all that uncommon to ram new bearings into an assembled engine.
There's probably more then a couple youtube video's showing how to do it on a hemi though.
Perfect. Thank you.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Get a big tub from home depot, get jug of cleaner (ZEP or something that won't harm plastic etc) put hot water and dillute cleaner. Dump the intake into the tub and attach a orbital plug in sander to the tub. Let it run for a bit and pull it out. I did this to aluminum heads and other internals and came out basically new. Watch the cleaner tho as I used ZEP parts cleaner and apparently it eats aluminum so I Had to have the heads gasket surface cleaned up at a machine shop which I was going to probably do anyway to make sure it was flat.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Electromotive cleaner for alt/starters. Mass air cleaner for throttle body. It has a coating on it. Brakekleen can ruin electrical parts. It melts the coating off the windings.

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Electromotive cleaner for alt/starters. Mass air cleaner for throttle body. It has a coating on it. Brakekleen can ruin electrical parts. It melts the coating off the windings.
Shyt. I didn't soak it, but it did liberally spritz it. What's done is done I guess.

OP
OP
jelih

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If nothings looking wonky on the bottom end,the next area to look over would be the heads,for maybe a broken rocker stand,if that checks out,i got nothing,other then maybe pulling each rod cap,and checking the rod and main bearings over. Only other option might be the engine wasn't properly cleaned when it was rebuilt,and those chunks might be from before the rebuild.
So I said that the lifters and cam looked new, and they do, but what are the chances that a lifter collapsed? And what does that even look like? I ask because trying to Google about collapsed lifters brings up a whole lot of GM stuff and almost nothing hemi related.

I tried to push a pushrod into all of the ones I took out and most of them are impossible to budge with oily hands, but the intake lifter for cylinder 8, where I heard the noise with the stethoscope, I can very easily move that one about 1/2 inch. There's like 2 others that I can get the spring to give with a bit of force, but the rest wont budge.

I'm tempted to try it with one of the new ones but they've been soaking for going on 2 weeks now and I don't wanna squirt the oil back out of them.

I can't find any spots on the heads that would explain those bits I found in the pan, so I'm just gonna tell myself it's from **** poor cleaning during the rebuild.

Also, the intake pushrods for 7 and 8 both look like this, which I can't explain. I kept them organized per cylinder, but not which end was which way when I took them out. They're all still straight, but I did order new ones.

I'm going to start the reassembly process first thing Friday morning and hope to have it all back together this weekend.

Attachments

• 20240302_175533.jpg
    20240302_175533.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 4