Cranks but will not start and died while on freeway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New member (or old member that forgot his logon)

After 203,000 miles, I am now starting to have issues with my 2010 1500 5.7L 4x4

Last week I couldn't get the engine to start. Cranks over strong, but won't start.

Had it towed to Dodge and after 1.5 days they were unable to find a single problem. After the tow truck dropped off my truck, it fired up 30 minutes later when they went to move it. Started up each time they tried after that. I think they started it up over 2 dozen times with no problems.

No codes, nothing to indicate what the problem is.

This AM, driving on the freeway at about 70mph the truck sputtered and acted like I ran out of fuel. Engine dies as I pulled over to the emergency lane. Cranks over, but will not start. A few times she almost fired up, but acted like I ran out of fuel.

I am thinking Fuel Pump or TIPM issue. Anything else I should consider before I head down these two routes?

Thank you for any input and help.

Vu

OP
OP
N

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How many miles are on the plugs?

30K tops. I just did them not too long ago. I will add that the truck has been very well taken care of. Always changed oils, fluids, flush trans, pumpkins, transfer cases.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
OK, two questions:
1. What had the truck been used for before it was parked, leading up to the first no-start event?
2. How long had the truck been running before getting onto the freeway and then how long had it been on the freeway before it quit?

If the ignition key is the one with the blunt end on the fob, I'm a little suspicious of the ignition switch. For instance, if you have a bunch of keys on a ring with the fob, but you left a different fob with the dealer the time they were able to start it with no trouble. Also, if it's the ignition switch and the truck quit at 70 mph, for all practical purposes, you'd have a flooded engine. In that event, it might sound like it was trying to start, too.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
New member (or old member that forgot his logon)

After 203,000 miles, I am now starting to have issues with my 2010 1500 5.7L 4x4

Last week I couldn't get the engine to start. Cranks over strong, but won't start.

Had it towed to Dodge and after 1.5 days they were unable to find a single problem. After the tow truck dropped off my truck, it fired up 30 minutes later when they went to move it. Started up each time they tried after that. I think they started it up over 2 dozen times with no problems.

No codes, nothing to indicate what the problem is.

This AM, driving on the freeway at about 70mph the truck sputtered and acted like I ran out of fuel. Engine dies as I pulled over to the emergency lane. Cranks over, but will not start. A few times she almost fired up, but acted like I ran out of fuel.

I am thinking Fuel Pump or TIPM issue. Anything else I should consider before I head down these two routes?

Thank you for any input and help.

Vu

If it does it again,lean underneath and give the bottom of the fuel tank a couple good swats with your fist, with the key in the run position.If the pump kicks in,or it starts good again,then it might be your fuel pump.

OP
OP
N

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Truck has been a daily commuter for the last 10 years almost. I drive about 70 miles round trip a day for work.

This AM, I drove for almost 15 to 20 minutes before it decided to quit.

Went to the dealership on the way home from work and it still won't start (which is a good thing right now). When my service adviser tried to start her up, it sputtered, almost started, and died. Sounded exactly like something that ran out of fuel. At this point I am hoping it's the fuel pump. OK with paying to get it fixed vs. having gremlins.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Both fuel pump and TIPM issues are common at that mileage. It can be tricky to pin point exactly which one it is when it’s intermittent. There are companies that make kits to bypass the internal fuel pump relay to another relay. They’re fairly cheap would be a quick way to fuel something out before replacing the fuel pump/TIPM.

Vertical visions is a company that makes them, they also make a bypass test kit that you can install, leave there for testing and see if that fixes the issue.

OP
OP
N

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks everyone!

Luckily the truck stayed in fail mode so they were able to narrow it down to the fuel pump. That being said, they are having a hell of a time getting the fuel pump for my truck. Hoping they get this thing taken care of in the next few days.

OP
OP
N

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Both fuel pump and TIPM issues are common at that mileage. It can be tricky to pin point exactly which one it is when it’s intermittent. There are companies that make kits to bypass the internal fuel pump relay to another relay. They’re fairly cheap would be a quick way to fuel something out before replacing the fuel pump/TIPM.

Vertical visions is a company that makes them, they also make a bypass test kit that you can install, leave there for testing and see if that fixes the issue.

I was looking at one of those just in case the TIPM goes belly up. Can you run the truck like that if you needed to? Asking because I have a road trip coming up at the end of the month.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I was looking at one of those just in case the TIPM goes belly up. Can you run the truck like that if you needed to? Asking because I have a road trip coming up at the end of the month.

I wouldn’t recommend it as a permanent repair, but you should be fine to leave it for a road trip. Would be a good way to test if that’s the issue.

OP
OP
N

norcalvu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks! Got the truck back yesterday. 950.00 :( but she is running good so far. Crossing fingers it was the fuel pump, only.