crappy 4th gen key fobs!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doug2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone else has crap range with their remote start with their 4th gen key fobs. Sometimes i cant even unlock my truck when im standing next to it. Do i just have the crappiest fob in the 4th gen community or do other people have this problem. And yes before anyone asks i changed the battery in the fob.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are **** too, have changed the batteries a couple of times. Were fine when I first bought the truck so I dunno.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are junk..... replaced the battery multiple times and now it is completely failed... so no now have to spend a crap load for another piece of crap.... thinking of using an aftermarket unit

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are junk..... replaced the battery multiple times and now it is completely failed... so no now have to spend a crap load for another piece of crap.... thinking of using an aftermarket unit

I lost one of my two fobs so I bought another from the stealer, and it was no better.

mpbc33

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah mine is crap too. Seems like you almost have to point it directly at it sometimes.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mine seem to work fine I agree range isn't that great but I get a couple of hundred feet out if it. My previous aftermarket got almost a km, but not this one, if you think this is bad you should try the Toyota my wife has OEM and it SUCKS.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had no problems so far. Range seems better then the ones I had with my '11 Jeep GC.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has great range, especially compared with my '15 Mini. Only thing I hate is the panic button is too easy to depress.......scared the crap out of me a few times.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has great range, especially compared with my '15 Mini. Only thing I hate is the panic button is too easy to depress.......scared the crap out of me a few times.

Especially when the fob is in yer pocket, and you are under the hood installing a catch can......don't ask me how I know......

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine are great range is good too from inside my house i can wake up walk to my dresser hit the start and bam shes running and im not even close to the truck same at work from a block shop building too,

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does anyone else has crap range with their remote start with their 4th gen key fobs. Sometimes i cant even unlock my truck when im standing next to it. Do i just have the crappiest fob in the 4th gen community or do other people have this problem. And yes before anyone asks i changed the battery in the fob.
My 09 Rams key fob was horrible. I don't think it's the actual fob but something to do with the truck. I read that on here a couple years ago. I used to hate the rolling down of the windows if you hit unlock twice and hold down the button.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lost one of my two fobs so I bought another from the stealer, and it was no better.

Is it true they're $500 for a new key, the dealer tried selling me their bs "extra warranty" saying that's what a new key fob costs

redeldo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it true they're $500 for a new key, the dealer tried selling me their bs "extra warranty" saying that's what a new key fob costs

The key fobs are high but not that high but your dealer may vary. I went to the local RAM dealer to get one but they had none in stock and would have to order, be here in several days. Price was $225 + $55 to program, so $280.

As I was told the 2014 key fob is different and a "regular" fob will not work so they have to order them. Doesn't make sense why that particular year is different or maybe they were blowing smoke.

redeldo

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They range from about $100-150ish with $75 program cost on top... last time i was at the dealer guy there paid $450 for two keys and programing..... crazy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
O/P, two things come to mind, besides battery dying.

Dropped the fob(s) at all?
Possibile you have someone poaching codes where you park at?

*I ask specifically the second one because the one, and only one time my fob consistently got glitchy was in a certain parking lot where about two days later (after a bunch of us with the club notified P.D. we suspected it of happening) a couple of people were arrested in front of us and on the back of their car trunk was a laptop, a black box, and break-in tools. my fob has worked flawlessly since then. If someone has been poaching your signal and passing the initial one to the car/truck after recording the second the vehicle won't unlock and people think their fob is bad.

If you dropped it you may have knocked a circuit loose.

Now, as far as Code-Theft/Poaching, this has worked for me and others and may also work for you.

Check the batteries first, then do a hard pull on the buttons, holding the lock button down right next to the door for 3-5 seconds, then hold unlock for 3-5 more seconds, then do a quick succession of lock-unlock-lock-unlock a few times. Once you do the hard push lock and unlock the fobs should operate the locks quickly.

If that isn't it, have the fobs opened and see if you got dirt/grit/dried-soda/sugar/other-goop making the buttons stick and not work right.

Last edited: