Cummins automatic trannys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I had no trouble in 20 years towing with a 4R100 Ford trans behind a 7.3. I drove it 178 k miles before selling it. It had a trans cooler and trans temp gauge. I changed the fluid and watched the temp. Once in awhile towing a trailer I would pull over on steep grades like near Death Valley to let the drivetrain cool off, same with the brakes. the only thing I did not like about was only 4 speeds.

The 68RFE has 6 speeds which are easily controlled with the paddle shifters. The tow/haul is really good. I like it just fine and it much better than the Ford.

OP
OP
A

ajparry89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Did anything change between the cummins, either engine or tranny related, between the older 4th gens and say like 2014 and up? I know the gasoline ones got a different tranny after 13. any major differences I should know about with the Cummins? Thanks!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Did anything change between the cummins, either engine or tranny related, between the older 4th gens and say like 2014 and up? I know the gasoline ones got a different tranny after 13. any major differences I should know about with the Cummins? Thanks!
Yes more TQ/HP and iirc improvements to the 6 speed transmission, the 2025 are said to be getting an update to engine and a 8 speed transmission

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew