Traded 1500 Rebel for 2500 Rebel Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello all. New member here. Had a 19 and a 21 Rebel Hemi back to back as my daily driver. Previously had a V8 Raptor and a bunch of Dodge/GM SUV’s and many performance cars/supercars.

I was planning on ordering a 2025 rebel as the replacement for my 21 but the lack of the High Output I6 and death of the hemi, along with some of the pains that can be associated with a new model AND the new pricing and build wait times…they all contributed to my interest in the 2500 6.7 Rebel.

My search took a few months but I’m glad I waited as the perfect one popped up out of state but close driving distance with 15% off MSRP. Fully loaded with almost every option it came out to a sticker of $98,500 vs the $64k of the ‘21 1500 rebel.

Differences:

Interior - Interior of the 2500 felt a bit more high end and premium. Very similar though. It also is a bit of a tighter cab. The windshield, standard sunroof vs pano, and smaller rear legroom area are what I notice. But it’s still large and roomy but I can see the difference. Everything else almost identical with the nice updates on the ‘24 like wireless CarPlay and an overdose of cameras.

Exterior - the 2500 is bigger and thicker. Everyone who has seen it says it looks extra badass and masculine. I love the road presence and it was one of the main reasons for me getting it. It’s also familiar to the 1500 rebel but different enough to make me happy. Parking it is a bit more of a challenge but do-able. I was surprised the 2500 rebel only measures 6” longer than the 1500 but it makes sense since it looks like space was taken from the cab and added to the bed.

Drive - I’ve only driven it without load so I can’t compare yet. It is heavier and more cumbersome. Not even close to as agile. You really need to respect the weight and size of the thing. Get on the brakes much earlier and drive it calmly. I was a bit of an aggressive driver so I’m training myself to take it easier with this behemoth. On a smooth highway it drives like a dream. Rolls beautifully and the torque and hum of the Cummins are really nice for cruising. It eats bumps up without a problem. It’s for sure a bit bumpier and bouncier than the 1500 with air suspension was but I’m kind of shocked that it drives as good as it does. I had a friend who has an older 2500 and 3500 and he couldn’t believe how comfortable and luxurious this truck felt. So yes it drives different than the 1500. 1500 felt closer to an SUV. But I think it drives phenomenal for an HD truck and is absolutely acceptable as a daily driver and family vehicle. My wife commented how comfortable it is and how she prefers the ride over the 1500 even though I feel the opposite.

Motor - hemi V8 vs 6.7 cummins diesel is apples and oranges. I never owned a diesel so it’s a completely different experience for me. It is noticeably slower than the hemi in all driving conditions. It “feels” powerful but you have to really put the pedal down and even then, it is a build up of torque. On the v8, I could hit the gas and it would spin the tires from a standstill or downshift and jump forward on a roll. This is always a smooth progression with a noticeable delay. I did not buy this truck to go fast. But I have a heavy foot and always drive aggressive. Around town, I guess you could say it’s a dog. Totally acceptable passing power on the highway though. I actually like the way the motor sounds. The cummins has a beautiful purr and you can hear the turbo spool if you listen carefully. The exhaust brake is very cool too and a nice feature. I actually use it quite often. In normal driving and highway driving, the Cummins is totally fine but very different than what I am used to. But I like it. It’s something different and when I load the bed up on a trip and have workers or the family, I know that’s where I’ll really appreciate it. The hemi struggled ever so slightly going up some large mountain roads with a loaded bed. I’m curious how much better the diesel will feel. I’m assuming it won’t be noticeable which will be great. Another major benefit is the 20mpg I seen on the highway cruising 70-75mph. I wish the fuel tank was larger and it’s something I’m currently researching to upgrade. Transmission seems fine. A big clunkier than the 1500 8 speed but not really that noticeable. I don’t have an issue with it and the diesel never really needs to drop down more than a single gear.

Misc notes - I wish the exterior mirror lights would stay on while driving. I wish there was more room under the seats. The subwoofer takes up too much room. I drove thru a few inches of snow. Didn’t even have to turn on the 4x4 hi. I kind of wish it had 4x4 auto but so far I haven’t even needed to get out of rwd. Build quality seems superb so far and very premium. I love the way it looks and something about having something so overkill is fun.

Like I stated above, I am looking into an S&B 52 gal tank replacement for the once in a while very long trip or for SHTF scenarios. I would have pulled the trigger but my concern is how much lower it hangs than the frame and how i have to remove the fuel tank skid plate. Their customer service rep said they run support trucks in the Baja with their tanks and they are fine. He also said there’s a possibility a shop can run “spacers” and still attach the factory skid plate over it. Just not sure if anyone else has done this and if it actually change down and causes ground clearance issues. I don’t really off road. Job sites and such. But nice to know in a brutal winter or SHTF scenario I have the capability.

That’s all for now. Any questions feel free to ask.

THANKS!

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What introductory thread is complete without some photos. Enjoy the comparison pics!

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2736.jpeg
    IMG_2736.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One more thing I forgot to note, and it’s a pretty big one.
Regardless of what I’ve seen on YouTube videos and read from reviews, the 2500 rebel is much quieter overall vs the 1500 rebel. Mostly in the tire noise department. I could always hear the 1500’s tires humming loudly at any speed under 65mph. The tire hum on the 2500 seems nonexistent. This is a huge difference as the 1500’s tire noise would actually bother me at times.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One more thing I forgot to note, and it’s a pretty big one.
Regardless of what I’ve seen on YouTube videos and read from reviews, the 2500 rebel is much quieter overall vs the 1500 rebel. Mostly in the tire noise department. I could always hear the 1500’s tires humming loudly at any speed under 65mph. The tire hum on the 2500 seems nonexistent. This is a huge difference as the 1500’s tire noise would actually bother me at times.
Ummm, hmmmm. Dont they both come with duratracs? And yes, they do get quite noisy. If that is an issue for you, just change out the tires.

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ummm, hmmmm. Dont they both come with duratracs? And yes, they do get quite noisy. If that is an issue for you, just change out the tires.

I don’t like to change tires on my daily drivers from factory spec…
And yes they are both duratracs but perhaps it’s the different size of the tires, a newer updated compound, or the extra weight of the 2500 diesel, but the tire sound is night and day different. You do not hear tire noise at all in the 2500. On the 1500 it was overpowering and anytime someone got in my truck for the first time they always commented on the noise.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on yer purchase Maintain it well with quality parts and drive it and enjoy it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t like to change tires on my daily drivers from factory spec…
And yes they are both duratracs but perhaps it’s the different size of the tires, a newer updated compound, or the extra weight of the 2500 diesel, but the tire sound is night and day different. You do not hear tire noise at all in the 2500. On the 1500 it was overpowering and anytime someone got in my truck for the first time they always commented on the noise.
My power wagon (2500) came with duratracs…noisy as hell once they got some miles on them. Could feel lugs slapping the road when i pulled out of the dealer. A duratrac is a duratrac.

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My power wagon (2500) came with duratracs…noisy as hell once they got some miles on them. Could feel lugs slapping the road when i pulled out of the dealer. A duratrac is a duratrac.
Interesting. You had the 20” wheels?
I have 700 miles and it’s quiet as it gets for a truck. Which was extremely surprising. I’ll report back if it gets louder, which it most likely will. My 1500 rebel was loud as could be right off the lot and only got louder once I put a lot more miles on her.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Why the jump to a Cummins engine instead of the 6.4 Hemi?
Is there a switch to working the truck vs just a daily pavement pounder?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting. You had the 20” wheels?
I have 700 miles and it’s quiet as it gets for a truck. Which was extremely surprising. I’ll report back if it gets louder, which it most likely will. My 1500 rebel was loud as could be right off the lot and only got louder once I put a lot more miles on her.
No, 17”.

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why the jump to a Cummins engine instead of the 6.4 Hemi?
Is there a switch to working the truck vs just a daily pavement pounder?
Good question.
The 6.4 probably is more what I could make use of, especially with its higher payload capacity. It’s the more logical option. But…
To be honest, I just always wanted a Cummins and have been eyeing one for over a decade. I’d rather have something overbuilt and not need it than possibly need it and not have it. The extra range vs the 6.4 is a nice plus too since I sometimes go through some unsavory areas that i rather not be forced to stop for gas.
It was time for a change and I am glad I’m experiencing life with a turbo diesel. And now that I have the extra capability, perhaps I’ll look into getting a trailer and using it for what it was made for now.

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good question.
The 6.4 probably is more what I could make use of, especially with its higher payload capacity. It’s the more logical option. But…
To be honest, I just always wanted a Cummins and have been eyeing one for over a decade. I’d rather have something overbuilt and not need it than possibly need it and not have it. The extra range vs the 6.4 is a nice plus too since I sometimes go through some unsavory areas that i rather not be forced to stop for gas.
It was time for a change and I am glad I’m experiencing life with a turbo diesel. And now that I have the extra capability, perhaps I’ll look into getting a trailer and using it for what it was made for now.
One more thing to note is that I’m in the commercial construction industry so the truck is definitely more than a family hauler. But the 6.4 could have easily handled the job, just as the 5.7 really had no issues. There were a handful of times where I wish I had an HD truck. But those handful of times stuck with me and made me consider going the 2500 route and the fact that an off roader was now offered with a Cummins…AND I was getting 15% off sticker (yeah it’s overpriced overall but whatever l) it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I just always wanted a Cummins and have been eyeing one for over a decade. I’d rather have something overbuilt and not need it than possibly need it and not have it.
Try to make sure you get it good and warm at least 2-3 times a month running on the freeway for a while. Without a load, it takes a bunch of driving to get it warm in the winter months. Those engines don't even think of flinching until your yanking close to 20K.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
^^^^ This!

Diesels don't prefer short runs with little to no load. Long highway runs to get everything up to full operating temps to keep everything happy and healthy.

One needs to work ones diesel truck like it was designed for to ensure dependable and reliable operation for the longevity of it.

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try to make sure you get it good and warm at least 2-3 times a month running on the freeway for a while. Without a load, it takes a bunch of driving to get it warm in the winter months. Those engines don't even think of flinching until your yanking close to 20K.

^^^^ This!

Diesels don't prefer short runs with little to no load. Long highway runs to get everything up to full operating temps to keep everything happy and healthy.

One needs to work ones diesel truck like it was designed for to ensure dependable and reliable operation for the longevity of it.
Understood. Thank you for the helpful insight. What is considered a long enough drive on the highway?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is considered a long enough drive on the highway?
Depends on how cold it is, along with how fast your going. Unless the engine is under load, it will cool off especially while idling. That why it's a good idea to idle the engine for a few minutes when working them hard before shut down, it's easier on the turbo.
Once the engine coolant is up to temperature, probably go another 20-30 miles. If you live in a cold climate, it's probably a good idea to use a winter front.
If you want to speed the warming the engine up, use the block heater a couple hours before you drive. The block heater is 750 watts, get a smart plug to make it easy to schedule it when to turn on.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in a similar boat as you. Currently have a '16 Rebel, which we love, but we bought a new camper and it is pushing us over the payload capacity (our Rebel is fully loaded...sunroof, extended fuel tank etc..so it's heavy).
Couple of questions:
1) What is your payload on the 2500 Rebel? I know it depends on options, but I'm curious what it is with the Cummins, which is heavy.
2) I asked this question in another section: what the heck is "Rebel Suspension" on the sticker sheet? Does it have the typical Rebel air suspension, or is it just heavy duty shocks? Ram doesn't explain it at all. I also know that 2500s have a rear air suspension option, but it seems like few dealers/customers order it, even though it seems to get rave reviews for towing.

Mike

OP
OP
Dark Knight G45
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm in a similar boat as you. Currently have a '16 Rebel, which we love, but we bought a new camper and it is pushing us over the payload capacity (our Rebel is fully loaded...sunroof, extended fuel tank etc..so it's heavy).
Couple of questions:
1) What is your payload on the 2500 Rebel? I know it depends on options, but I'm curious what it is with the Cummins, which is heavy.
2) I asked this question in another section: what the heck is "Rebel Suspension" on the sticker sheet? Does it have the typical Rebel air suspension, or is it just heavy duty shocks? Ram doesn't explain it at all. I also know that 2500s have a rear air suspension option, but it seems like few dealers/customers order it, even though it seems to get rave reviews for towing.

Mike

From what I know, payload in the 2500 Cummins is only a few hundred pounds more. With the 6.4, it’s over a thousand more. It will tow more than double, however. And just from me driving it a bit up through a mountainous overpass with 3 passengers and about 1000lbs of equipment, the Cummins 2500 rebel was flawless and on rails.
You may be better off with the V8 offering since it has higher ratings due to the extra weight of the Cummins but the diesel is smooth as can be and has enough torque to handle anything. Someone who tows can explain better.

As far as the suspension goes, it’s a bilstein off road suspension. It’s extremely comfortable and smooth on the highway and around round and according to YouTube vids, it’s a beast off road. Haven’t been off tarmac yet with it but I’m sure it’s good.

I had air suspension in my past 2 rebel 1500s. I do not have air suspension in this one. Ride quality is about 8/10 if the 1500 air suspension is 10/10. I did not get air suspension because I couldn’t find a truck with it. Not having it though I don’t miss it. But I’m sure it’s great.
Overall I think it’s as good of a suspension and ride as you could get for an HD luxury truck that can go off road.