cummins grid heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raffmanlt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know on 2001 dodge 2500 cummins diesel if grid heater only operates when cold temps? Also shouldnt it start without grid heater? People delete them and still starts in cood weather. Guess this is true with 2nd gen also.

thanks in advance

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can only speak from my experience when I had my 95 CTD, but I was under the impression the grid heaters worked all the time, but the time they were actually heated depended on the temperature. I knew guys that wold just jump in their trucks and turn the key and go. So yes, they would start w/o the pre heat. I always waited until the "wait to start" light went off. The colder the ambient temperature was the longer the heat time. Also, in extreme cold, I would cycle the grid heater twice for a better start. Hope this makes sense to you and helps with your question.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grid comes on with every key cycle. It does not run all the time running down the road. It cycles on and off depending on temp.

Also, what’s “cold” to you? My opinion, grid heater deletes are dumb. They aren’t a massive restriction, then again guys swap intake horns all the damn time when they gain absolutely nothing, so there’s that...my triples are grid delete, and I’ll rebuild the pipe to run my grid. In Wyoming winters, it’s needed

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have forgotten to wait back when I first got the truck to wait on the same cold WY mornings and damn it didn't like it for the first few minutes. Chug chug chug haha. IIRC, saw somewhere below 60 it turns on when starting