cv axle wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys hows it going ?
I have a strange problem with my ram, Yesterday i was working under the front end and i noticed the cv joint on the passenger side had a ton of play in it so i picked up a new one and when i put it in and got things back together i noticed the same amount of play in the new cv axle. Im not sure what to think about it or what the problem could be so i thought i would see if anyone has any ideas .
P.S
i know i got the shaft over the little press ring on the shaft coming out of the diff , but to me it looks like the shaft that goes into the cv from the diff should be longer so it would remove the play in the cv joint but thats just a wild guess .
any help would be wonderful and thanks for the help in the past you guys rock:favorites37:

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
How did the splines look on the shaft coming out of the diff? They wear out if the cv joint is left to wobble for a long time. Happened to my driver side. I'd check that and replace it before it ruins your new cv.

OP
OP
R

Rick2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
re cv wobble

thanks for the input
i was talking to a guy earlier today who said the same thing
any idea what is involved in doing this ?
i was told it takes a special tool to remove the shaft from the diff without going inside the diff and im sure its not cheap i will check around a see what i can find at the local parts house maybe they will have on for rent if im lucky..
Do you know what they call the shaft in question ?
Thanks for the help :headbang:

05ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad cab
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I believe it is called the intermediate shaft. Take a look on Rockauto. They are supposed to pop out with a special tool, or some creative thinking. When I did mine, it would not come out, so I had to take off the diff cover and remove the pinion mate shaft to slide it back enough to get the ring off. (Have fun). After that, just put the mate shaft back in, button it all up then tap in the new shaft. It will just click back into place. Put the ring on the end of the shaft first, then slide it in and tap it with a hammer till it is locked in. Be careful not to hit the seals.