CV joint issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kepler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a popping sound when I press the accelerator and sometimes when I’m turning. For the accelerator it doesn’t matter if I am going up or down hill or what speed I’m traveling, if I take my foot of the gas for a second then reapply I can hear the single popping sound. Also if I come to a stop on a significant incline, I hear the pop when it does it’s final rollback after I stop. I have a 2017 1500 sport with 6” pro comp lift and 49k miles on it. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or agree that it is probably cv?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could also be an upper ball joint.

I was having a heck of a time tracking down a front end vibration. As time went by, I also developed a “pop” like you are describing.

Keep in mind, while I was trying to locate the cause of the vibration, I could not find ANY obviously worn parts in the front end. I even had it looked over by a shop twice.

I started with the lower ball joints. The vibration and pop were still there. While changing the lower joints, I noticed some excessive play in the CV shafts.

I pulled the CV’s, disassembled them, and reinstalled only the outer stub ends(to keep the wheel bearings together).
Vibration and pop were still there, and still no noticeable worn parts.

Just last week, I installed new upper control arms (came with new upper ball joints).

The vibration and the pop are now gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kepler

Kepler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
interesting...I will look at that as well, thank you for the feedback