Cylinder heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I have a 2003 Ram, I recently purchased a low mileage 2008 Charger engine. I planned on using the short block Wich I know that I can because it is the earlier model hemi. However I would LIKE to use the cylinder heads. But I've read both back and forth that the heads are different as far as the Intake and exhaust ports go. But I have yet to see pictures of he differences in the head ports. Anyone have any insight to this? I'd really like to use the full head setup with the truck but in afraid I can't.

I know I can't use the Intake because of the difference in the timing covers and where the accessories mount. But I can swap that all over from the 03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the only difference is the 08 passenger side head will have an EGR port. It can be blocked off. I have Car heads on my truck with no issues.

OP
OP
jotin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the 03 part number. It's good from 03-08, and my truck is still EGR so they'll work perfectly.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The ports on the heads changed in '09, you can use the car heads. The '03s have a different EGR, it's part of the exhaust header so you'll have to block off the EGR port on the head.

OP
OP
jotin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang i didn't realize the 03 actually doesn't have an EGR valve, atleast on mine anyways . Just the 04s and up. That's actually kind of nice and is a bit cleaner looking that that big ugly EGR tube. So yeah I'll have to block off the port on the car heads.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm going to throw this out for discussion, I believe I read where the 03/05 intake manifold can be used with the car front accessories if spacers are used under the truck manifold. The retro rod guys have come up with a lot of great ideas.

OP
OP
jotin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to throw this out for discussion, I believe I read where the 03/05 intake manifold can be used with the car front accessories if spacers are used under the truck manifold. The retro rod guys have come up with a lot of great ideas.

I wish it was the other way around for the car intakes on the 03-05 trucks. I'd love to use that I take. But the alternator and AC compressor are all kinda in the way lol

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have heard more than a few times that the truck Manifold has more low end torque than the car manifold. I personally use a OCP manifold mainly because I'm boosted. But I believe it is also an excellent na manifold. Talk to John at OCP.

vNkvtS.jpg
CNzs1V.jpg

Last edited:

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a good intake manifold for a 3rd gen N/a hemi that's worth the bang for your buck. I have always heard the intake manifold on these is actually decent.

OP
OP
jotin

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't done any research myself. I'd be interested to find out.