Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
MT 772's $352 for 37x12.50R18
Dude that's a solid price too! 33s are 330/ea for me! I was eyeballing the razr AT its just more tire than I need. Maxxis a def under rated here in the U.S.!

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude that's a solid price too! 33s are 330/ea for me! I was eyeballing the razr AT its just more tire than I need. Maxxis a def under rated here in the U.S.!
Yeah I'm going between three different tires. Actually four.

Cheapest, I stay in the 35 class, say f'it and go with;
Gladiator Mud Terrains in 35x12.50 Currently $200 each. $1000 for tires. Gives me room for other things on the truck. Bottom fishing.
Kanati Trail Hog in 37x12.50 at 279 each $1399 for a set. And Under-rated tire from what I understand. Still gives me room for other things. Still bottom fishing.
Maxxis MT 772 in 37x12.50 at 352 each $1761, About what I was planning on being at.
Yokohama X-AT 37x12.50 at 399 each. $1999 And I'm maxed out. But I know the brand, I know the tire.

I currently have the Yokohamas and have a long history with the brand, since early 2000's. The reason I'm thinking of bottom fishing at this point, Tires seem all over the spectrum and even with the X-at's I'm not completely happy with concentricity and balance. If I'm not going to be satisfied, why spend the money. My neighbor spent over 2 grand on his Nitto's and barely has 25K on them and they're trashed. No tread left. I'll get the 40K out of the current set, I think. But at that price I could have bought two sets of the cheaper brand and get more miles.

I dunno. The Maxxis seem like the right choice to me. I'd really like to see if the Kanati are as good as they're being touted, the biggest thing they're said to be excellent in rain. Gladiators would be of interest solely as they're cheap AF. Yoko's know entity, but at the current wear level suck in the rain here in FL.

That really is the crux of the matter. Can I spend the cash on a top level tire, just to ditch them and replace at 50% wear because wet weather traction sucks? If I'm going to do that, may as well be a cheap set I can keep refreshed.

Too many things for me to put in the pipe and smoke at one time.

Don't get me wrong the three 37's are cheap AF right now. If I have to go to 5-6 per tire I'll stick with the 35 range. 37
s at this point are simply a nicety.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah I'm going between three different tires. Actually four.

Cheapest, I stay in the 35 class, say f'it and go with;
Gladiator Mud Terrains in 35x12.50 Currently $200 each. $1000 for tires. Gives me room for other things on the truck. Bottom fishing.
Kanati Trail Hog in 37x12.50 at 279 each $1399 for a set. And Under-rated tire from what I understand. Still gives me room for other things. Still bottom fishing.
Maxxis MT 772 in 37x12.50 at 352 each $1761, About what I was planning on being at.
Yokohama X-AT 37x12.50 at 399 each. $1999 And I'm maxed out. But I know the brand, I know the tire.

I currently have the Yokohamas and have a long history with the brand, since early 2000's. The reason I'm thinking of bottom fishing at this point, Tires seem all over the spectrum and even with the X-at's I'm not completely happy with concentricity and balance. If I'm not going to be satisfied, why spend the money. My neighbor spent over 2 grand on his Nitto's and barely has 25K on them and they're trashed. No tread left. I'll get the 40K out of the current set, I think. But at that price I could have bought two sets of the cheaper brand and get more miles.

I dunno. The Maxxis seem like the right choice to me. I'd really like to see if the Kanati are as good as they're being touted, the biggest thing they're said to be excellent in rain. Gladiators would be of interest solely as they're cheap AF. Yoko's know entity, but at the current wear level suck in the rain here in FL.

That really is the crux of the matter. Can I spend the cash on a top level tire, just to ditch them and replace at 50% wear because wet weather traction sucks? If I'm going to do that, may as well be a cheap set I can keep refreshed.

Too many things for me to put in the pipe and smoke at one time.

Don't get me wrong the three 37's are cheap AF right now. If I have to go to 5-6 per tire I'll stick with the 35 range. 37
s at this point are simply a nicety.
I don't wanna go on a rant on your build thread, so I'll try a summarize.....lol

tires aren't an investment, but they are. They are the only thing connecting you to the road. That being said, I am having a hard time sifting through what's genuine and what's marketing. Example. I went with toyo At3s knowing they were a second or even top tier brand. 3peak rated blah blah.....they're good, till 1/2 tread in the wet.....they're now dangerous/unpredictable enough I have to use 4wd in the rain. Is there a tangible difference between bottom and top tier.....possibly but I'm not sure how to quantify that. No matter how much I dig, im leery of popular "reviews" and trusting just how unbiased they are. I'm surely disappointed that at 1/2 tread I need to replace them due to performance metrics. The more I read trying to make an informed decision, the more im aggravated lol. Also, Falken was a "budget" brand not too long ago. So at this point I take it all with a pinch of tequila. Flying blind on such a large purchase really is hard. And none of this takes into account the vanity of looks etc which is a large part as well.

I had 37s and they were a year of frustration in terms of quality of life on a daily. Balance, radial pull, and overall quality was MEH at best. They really are better now, but.....they still quickly become a compromise of sorts. Also, you NEED a shop that knows how to balance big ol suckers otherwise.....light em on fire. I know those kanati tires are serious performers so long as you get a round set.

Edited to revise/clarify some wording without an angry 4month old kicking me in the face.

Last edited:
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't wanna go on a rant on your build thread, so I'll try a summarize.....lol

tires aren't an investment, but they are. They are the only thing connecting you to the road. That being said, I am having a hard time sifting through what's genuine and what's marketing. Example. I went with toyo At3s knowing they were a second or even top tier brand. 3peak rated blah blah.....they're good, till 1/2 tread in the wet.....they're now dangerous/unpredictable enough I have to use 4wd in the rain. Is there a tangible difference between bottom and top tier.....possibly but I'm not sure how to quantify that. No matter how much I dig, im leery of popular "reviews" and trusting just how unbiased they are. I'm surely disappointed that at 1/2 tread I need to replace them due to performance metrics. The more I read trying to make an informed decision, the more im aggravated lol. Also, Falken was a "budget" brand not too long ago. So at this point I take it all with a pinch of tequila. Flying blind on such a large purchase really is hard. And none of this takes into account the vanity of looks etc which is a large part as well.

I had 37s and they were a year of frustration in terms of quality of life on a daily. Balance, radial pull, and overall quality was MEH at best. They really are better now, but.....they still quickly become a compromise of sorts. Also, you NEED a shop that knows how to balance big ol suckers otherwise.....light em on fire. I know those kanati tires are serious performers so long as you get a round set.

Edited to revise/clarify some wording without an angry 4month old kicking me in the face.

I hear ya. That's where a lot of my quandary comes from. My Yokohamas were supposed to be really good. I had 1 need little weight to balance 3 that did ok more than I wanted, and the 5th balanced with a crap ton of weight. After shop #2 trying to balance it and coming up with the same problem, one on a pin balancer and one on road force, I should have warrantied it. I didn't.

Then there is the wet weather performance as they've worn. Makes me hesitant to dump money just to replace once wet weather performance drops.

The Gladiators are simply a means to an end. Ugly as sin. I have no love for the looks of the Kanati/duratrac clones wither Maxxis is ok, more aggressive than I want. The X-at's are a great looking tire. Though the Renegade RT's would be my tread of choice if I went that route.

That's what hard for me. If I going to have to deal with issues even on an upper tier tire, I remember when yokohama were the budget tire, I may as well save my money and know what I'm going for off the bat. Spending on an top tier tire means I'm hoping against hope that I'm not going to have issues.

And feel free to rant I need it. Otherwise I'm going to do something stupid, I usually do.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I hear ya. That's where a lot of my quandary comes from. My Yokohamas were supposed to be really good. I had 1 need little weight to balance 3 that did ok more than I wanted, and the 5th balanced with a crap ton of weight. After shop #2 trying to balance it and coming up with the same problem, one on a pin balancer and one on road force, I should have warrantied it. I didn't.

Then there is the wet weather performance as they've worn. Makes me hesitant to dump money just to replace once wet weather performance drops.

The Gladiators are simply a means to an end. Ugly as sin. I have no love for the looks of the Kanati/duratrac clones wither Maxxis is ok, more aggressive than I want. The X-at's are a great looking tire. Though the Renegade RT's would be my tread of choice if I went that route.

That's what hard for me. If I going to have to deal with issues even on an upper tier tire, I remember when yokohama were the budget tire, I may as well save my money and know what I'm going for off the bat. Spending on an top tier tire means I'm hoping against hope that I'm not going to have issues.

And feel free to rant I need it. Otherwise I'm going to do something stupid, I usually do.
You actually had me revisit my research into maxxis and honestly they have jumped into a top spot. Price vs weight vs performance etc.

My biggest issue at this point is I've yet to have a tire perform well through its entire life cycle. 1/2 tread and I usually find myself looking into something else as cold/wet weather performance falls off. Fall/winter here isn't as much snow as it is cold rain where the tires seem to get too hard. Used to never care and drove appropriately but now that I have a baby and the wife takes the truck i can't have any nonsense. For me, wet performance is going to be priority 1. I'm not sure where that lands me quite yet.

Being in FL where is your biggest priority in performance?

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You actually had me revisit my research into maxxis and honestly they have jumped into a top spot. Price vs weight vs performance etc.

My biggest issue at this point is I've yet to have a tire perform well through its entire life cycle. 1/2 tread and I usually find myself looking into something else as cold/wet weather performance falls off. Fall/winter here isn't as much snow as it is cold rain where the tires seem to get too hard. Used to never care and drove appropriately but now that I have a baby and the wife takes the truck i can't have any nonsense. For me, wet performance is going to be priority 1. I'm not sure where that lands me quite yet.

Being in FL where is your biggest priority in performance?

Wet weather grip. Compared to the stock Goodyear's the yokos are still light years ahead.

That being said the last two rains I've noticed a reduced lack of traction up through third gear. And the ass end has washed out twice steady speed in a curve. Slow enough for me to catch but bad enough to start considering new tires.

Stock good years I pretty much had to limp it away from a stop and I looped it on an on ramp. That was enough for me.

The asphalt here is different as they use shells as filler rather than aggregate. It doesn't have the same friction.

Then there's sand and mud... Lots of sand, even more mud. It's a balancing act.

Last edited:

shawnG2171

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi and what's up fellas.

First post so I thought I may as well start a thread about my truck. Picked it up about 10 days ago. 2016 Outdoorsman with 58k on the clock. Spent 24K on it which if you know anything about FL pricing it's a great deal.

Anyway I plan on posting updates to it as I work on it to make it mine.

The day it came home, March 29th 2021.

View attachment 243938
I just bought mine in tarpon springs (have a house there) 3 weeks ago came back to Ohio (home) mine has 85,000 on the clock and I gave 15 grand cash for mine I can't beleave the prices of trucks there lol

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought mine in tarpon springs (have a house there) 3 weeks ago came back to Ohio (home) mine has 85,000 on the clock and I gave 15 grand cash for mine I can't beleave the prices of trucks there lol
I think they're like that everywhere at this point.

But congrats on the new acquisition. And we love Tarpon Springs. The touristy areas anyway. Lol

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I settled on tires and placed my order. Have 5 Cooper SST Pros in 37" on the way. Going to mock one up to verify fitment. If it doesn't fit, and I can't return the lot, well, I guess I'll be unloading them at about $330 each. Profit...

Last edited:
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got home and a delivery had been made

In my best Flounder from Animal House voice, "Oh boy this is going to be great".

IMG_20240116_134115_190~2.jpg

for those that were wondering...

sstpro.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a steal at that price. Where did you get them that cheap?

I just happened to be logged in to my account when I saw the price;

1705509170002.png

If one is not logged in to their account, this is what the price showed. How could I pass it up? Even though I know the 13.5 is going to be a fight. 200 a tire at 5 tires might make it worth it. And as i said IF I can't make it work, four will either go back, OR they'll get sold.

Honestly I didn't think they'd actually ship them. I imagined it'd be my Rhino bumper fiasco all over again. You know, they let ya buy it, payment clears, then they realize they sold it at cost and refuse to ship.

1705509301540.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sigh. Haven't even gotten to test fit yet. I think I have a major issue or it could be nothing. But I have questions out to prioritytire and Cooper. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow. But right now, these are looking like Euro-spec tires. In and of itself not an issue I just want clarification on the load/speed rating they're marked with.

That being said, they do look nice mounted on the new wheels. Only did one for fitting purposes.

signal-2024-01-17-165147_002.jpeg

OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Beastmode enabled. Successful test fit. No rubbing the spindle as I feared. Yes it's close. Yes it's very close. No rubbing either lock. So yay 37x13.5r18's fit the AEV lift with 0 offset, 5.25" backspace.

signal-2024-01-17-20-01-15-133.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
czervika

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So Cooper advised me not to run this tire on the street.

I sit here and wait on PriorityTire to see what they want to do about it.