Dakota PCM 5.9 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Laskoski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 magnum
I have a 2001 Dakota 3.9, swaping a 5.9 into it. Was planing on a crate ATK HP73 mopar 5.9, nice EFI intake and all, for a daily. Running 2 wires to the correct pins on the middle white plug on the PCM (i believe the pins are c2 2 & c2 13) for the missing 2 injectors, cylinder 7 & 8. Computer tech is not my feild!! Do i simply buy a used 2001 dakota 5.9 PCM online or at the yard, plug and play? Do i need to or can i retune the 3.9 PCM? All the talk about PCM to your vin, the SKIM Security alarm.. It has me confused where to start with the PCM. I understand from research if you have SKIM, the swap pcm needs it too. How do i know if i have SKIM? Yes i have a factory remote to unlock doors, so does that mean i do have it? I also understand when you buy new/ Refurbished they program it to your vin. Mines a v6 so yea v6 vin.

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the PCM number you currently have?
The 2001 5.9 auto 4X4 pcm part number is pcm 56040237AG

I have a tuner to tune that pcm from my old dakota.
I also have the factory service manual if that helps.

The only thing is I don't know if the tuner would just flash it or if it is VIN specific, if so it would have to be updated.

Tuner I used is a sct 9550

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Alex Laskoski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 magnum
What is the PCM number you currently have?
The 2001 5.9 auto 4X4 pcm part number is pcm 56040237AG

I have a tuner to tune that pcm from my old dakota.
I also have the factory service manual if that helps.

The only thing is I don't know if the tuner would just flash it or if it is VIN specific, if so it would have to be updated.

Tuner I used is a sct 9550

I have a manual from the auto shop thats dakota/darango. Is yours specifc to just a Dodge Dakota? The manual is where i got alot of my answers from But Ill have to see what the part number is on my PCM.

So you have the 2001 5.9 auto 4X4 pcm and simply bought that tuner to tune it? And im guessing that was your stock engine since you dont know yourself if that tuner could just over all flash my v6 pcm to work for the v8 or if it is vin specific? And if it is ID have to update the tuner?

Reading reviews from places that sold that tuner, from my understanding they say "This loads tunes. You need someone to write a tune. This tuner takes your oem tune and backs it up right away." Saying its going to the nv3500 5 speed i think that tuner sould help me there, not adding 2 cycinders. Thats me assuming

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2001 5.9 dakota and yes the tuner was to tune it.

Yes, you need tunes, the SCT holds 3 tunes plus the stock tune - which is stores when ever you load a tune from it - to go back to stock, you just retune to stock.

I don't think the 5 speed was available on the 5.9 in 2001 and don't know what would happen if you ran an automatic PCM.
Was the 5 speed manual available on any V8 in 2001?

OP
OP
A

Alex Laskoski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 magnum
I had a 2001 5.9 dakota and yes the tuner was to tune it.

Yes, you need tunes, the SCT holds 3 tunes plus the stock tune - which is stores when ever you load a tune from it - to go back to stock, you just retune to stock.

I don't think the 5 speed was available on the 5.9 in 2001 and don't know what would happen if you ran an automatic PCM.
Was the 5 speed manual available on any V8 in 2001?

From my knowledge only the 3.9 & 5.2.. And i think i seen 4.7 as well.

But regardless i need a dakota 2001 5.9 computer for it to work, which has the auto trans, then i need someone with the Capability of flashing out the trans and a tune before im able to plug in SCT programer and drop different tunes

From my further research today im pretty sure flying ryan performance in texas is the only guy who truly can tune the software inside when it comes to a doing a 5 speed to the 5.9. Followed by me talking to him and being told that.

Most put the 5.9 to the 46RE and dont worry
Id be sad to not be able to bang gears.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ryan does a good tune, mine was done by Sean Hemifever.

I really should get rid of this SCT as I don't have anything to tune with it any longer lol.

I guess I could do my son's 4.7 Jeep GC but doubtful if I will :)