Death wobble w/ weight in the back... but not quite? Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enjin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have noticed an issue lately where my truck heaves left to right. This only seems to happen when I have a bit of weight in the back (probably just a couple hundred pounds, nothing crazy at all). I would have called it "death wobble" but looking up videos of death wobble on other trucks, its at a much lower frequency than what everyone else seems to get (plus the actual death wobble videos are of 2/3500 trucks). On smooth roads, its fine, but any sort of bumps in the roads begins to trigger it. I have not replaced my rear shocks in a while (just replaced front a couple months ago), but the issue was noticed even when they were new.

Anyone experience this sort of thing before or have any possible causes?

Thanks

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You are correct, true death wobble occurs only with solid front axles. I would change out rear shocks and go over the front suspension closely. Looking for work parts. Check wheel bearings and balljoints.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2001 Frontier did this, but it has leaf springs in the rear. Turns out one (or both) of the front bolt "eyes" on the springs were rusted through and snapped off, but you couldn't tell because the mounting brackets block the view of the bolt eyes. Was bringing home a 250lb-ish toolbox, hit an expansion joint in the highway and all of a sudden the truck felt really bad and unsafe.

RAM has coils in the rear, but I would be looking more in the rear first since it happens only with weight. Possibly a broken coil, I would also look into replacing the shocks too and check the trailing arms, bolts, bushings while you're down there.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on the truck? You may need new rear control arms asides from new rear shocks.

OP
OP
E

Enjin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Roughly 150k. Ill poke around a bit more today

ptuttle78

Reaction score
Mine seems to shake a little. Kinda feels like right front wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk