Deciding Between a Mega Cab Diesel and a Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RisingSons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Greetings and thanks for such a helpful forum. I’ve done some research and driven both, yet as I’ve never owned a diesel or a Power Wagon, I’m looking for some informed perspectives. With the Black Friday deals and quite a bit of shopping around, I’ve found two good options for a next truck.

1. A 2019 2500 Mega Cab Laramie with the Cummins Diesel (rear leveling and Alpine, no surround camera) $76k MSRP marked down to $60k. 2. A 2019 2500 Power Wagon, loaded with Ram Boxes, Harmon Kardon, surround cameras, $68k marked down to $55k. I do some towing, but the trailers aren’t heavier than 6-7k lbs max. I also do quite a bit of interstate travel, and some over landing with moderate trail use.

The Mega Cab is definitely enticing with the room and ride plus the Cummins, I assume, will last longer(?). But I don’t think my intended use makes a Cummins necessary. I will also be parking the vehicle outside with winters not too bad, yet with likely 35 or so days below freezing. And diesel fuel is more expensive though the gas mileage is better than on the HEMI.

Anybody have a longer term take on the Mega Cab with the diesel vs a Power Wagon with a HEMI re reliability and comfort? I’ve also considered a 2019 Laramie Longhorn, yet keep coming back to the 2500 Mega Cab or Power Wagon. Thanks in advance for any info and sage advice!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
For towing and lots of hwy travel, the Cummins hands down. It tows better than you can imagine, and will get much better economy.

OP
OP
R

RisingSons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
For towing and lots of hwy travel, the Cummins hands down. It tows better than you can imagine, and will get much better economy.
Thanks for your reply, Firebird. If my towing isn’t but once every few months and most (by far) of my highway usage is going to be without a trailer, with quite a few in town, short trips, would that place points in the HEMI / 8 speed transmission category? I’ve heard some say that type of driving (without a trailer / half in town) isn’t as “good” for a Diesel engine.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My Cummins trucks got surprisingly good economy, and my 6.4 just drank gas! However, I loved the 6.4 Hemi in my last 2500. I came dangerously close to buying a power wagon, but honestly, it is just too tall, and I didn’t want to climb in and out of that puppy. Had 2 mega cab Cummins rigs, and should have kept my last one.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Go to your service department and research the difference to maintain the Cummins vs HEMI vs your intended use for the truck (regardless whether you do your own work). Afterwards, factor in the 5K difference in price plus the out of pocket expense to own a Cummins vs HEMI.

Some people need a Cummins. Others just like having one, and pay a premium for it. Likewise with a 3500 vs 2500 vs 1500.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RisingSons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Go to your service department and research the difference to maintain the Cummins vs HEMI vs your intended use for the truck (regardless whether you do your own work). Afterwards, factor in the 5K difference in price plus the out of pocket expense to own a Cummins vs HEMI.

Some people need a Cummins. Others just like having one, and pay a premium for it. Likewise with a 3500 vs 2500 vs 1500.
This is what I’ve been hearing from some folks who own a Cummins (and love the 2500 they drive). I too love the sound of a diesel and the ride / space (and look inside and outside) of and in the Mega Cab. Yet, I keep coming back to the reality that I won’t be using the Cummins for what it’s primary value is connected to: more regular towing of heavier trailers. I wouldn’t use the Power Wagon at its fullest capability either (If I go rock climbing, it’s going to be in a $15k FJ Cruiser, not a $56k truck). Yet, I will use the bed it has and the better off road capabilities for “cleaner” trails and for towing lighter trailers. And the Power Wagon Will fit better in parking garages when I have to do some of my chaplain-like hospital visits. It’s just hard to talk myself out of the Cummins and Mega Cab after driving one a few times.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
This is what I’ve been hearing from some folks who own a Cummins (and love the 2500 they drive). I too love the sound of a diesel and the ride / space (and look inside and outside) of and in the Mega Cab. Yet, I keep coming back to the reality that I won’t be using the Cummins for what it’s primary value is connected to: more regular towing of heavier trailers. I wouldn’t use the Power Wagon at its fullest capability either (If I go rock climbing, it’s going to be in a $15k FJ Cruiser, not a $56k truck). Yet, I will use the bed it has and the better off road capabilities for “cleaner” trails and for towing lighter trailers. And the Power Wagon Will fit better in parking garages when I have to do some of my chaplain-like hospital visits. It’s just hard to talk myself out of the Cummins and Mega Cab after driving one a few times.

I feel ya! I’d love to drive a loaded Cummins! But I’m not willing to pay a premium for it.. I’m better off with a loaded 1500. Having had trail experience with many Jeeps, a solid front axle is a must! Therefore you’re definitely in 2500 territory.

EDIT: (cleaner trails) A 1500 should manage no problem, but there’s just something about having two solid axles off-road in case you go from mild to wild /wink

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That power wagon will drag that 7k just fine.
Plus it will overland extremely well.

I would go drive them both. That power wagon with the 8 speed is going to surprise you.

then again a Carli Lifted cumins Megacab Would be amazing... but now you are talking some money lol.

Keep us posted.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've owned 2 mega cab cummins (currently in one) and 1 gas power wagon. Mega cab cummins hands down unless you are looking for a dedicated off road truck. Don't care if you are towing or not.

What ever the price "premium" for the cummins is you will more then get that back when it comes time to sell or trade so take that out of the equation. Maintenance is a wash as well so don't let anyone scare you with the big bad diesel costs more to maintain.

My current 2016 has been mostly a grocery getter, soccer mom school car pool truck for 2 years now and no issues.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Maintenance is only a wash until you have a major diesel repair (turbo actuator, def system, fuel issues) or your 68rfe dies. See what is and isn’t covered under warranty.

Buy the diesel because you want it, just don’t do it blindly.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maintenance is only a wash until you have a major diesel repair (turbo actuator, def system, fuel issues) or your 68rfe dies. See what is and isn’t covered under warranty.

Buy the diesel because you want it, just don’t do it blindly.

Or your gas engine throws a rod or your transmission fails or the sky falls etc. Failures happen on all vehicles.

68RFE is trouble free unless you start tuning the truck and adding HP. Turbo actuator failures also seem to be much more prevalent in tuned trucks. Fuel issues are usually user induced (putting gas in it) or because the truck was tuned or "upgraded". And I've had no issues with DEF

OP
OP
R

RisingSons

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks so much, everyone, for all the helpful inputs. I’m leaning towards the Power Wagon. I think the mega cab diesel is an incredible truck. I’m not too concerned with the maintenance long term, though I do think it could be more (MaxCare packages are only about $250 more on a diesel though). My ultimate deciding factor: multi-purpose utility for my various needs which won’t include towing over 6-7k lbs more than once every other month, and the length of the Mega Cab (it’s over a foot longer). I’d enjoy the reclining rear seats on the mega cab (or passengers would), yet I don’t often have passengers. The Power Wagon is more maneuverable (even though not as smooth to drive on the highway; the eight speed is really nice though)... and tire expense will be less too from what I can tell with 17” wheels vs 20” wheels. Ultimately, I don’t think I can go wrong with either choice. The Power Wagon just seems to be a slightly better fit for what I need. And at $54k for a $68+k MSRP, that’s good for my bottom line (though I know the marked down to $60k diesel Mega Cab is a heck of deal too). Thanks again!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Power wagon is a great truck I'm sure you will love it. The only issue I had with mine was the poor mpg and limited range as a daily driver. I just couldn't live with stopping at the gas station several times a week. Off road and in the snow it was a beast though!

qxbuzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500
Engine
I always wanted a Power Wagon, but have a heavy wakeboat, so the towing capacity wasn’t much more than my 1500 was, along with payload. I just got a 3500 6.7. Overkill for the boat, but leaves the option for a camper to take along with the boat.... I opted for the Crew Cab, though I really like the looks of the Mega Cabs..

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
If I could do it over again, I’d get a wagon. I don’t have a diesel, but I’d much rather have the off road capabilities over the extra space inside

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The hemi is going to suck gas like crazy! A buddy of mine just bought a 19 power wagon. It looks awesome. But man he even admits with the 410's it pretty hard on gas.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I get 12-14, I really don’t think that’s that bad, considering the weight of this truck. I was getting worse in a half ton titan

Mikeg175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 6.4 and Cummins 6.7
I have both at this time . 2016 Ram 3500 megacab srw with the Cummins and Aisin trans 90k miles . 2019 PW with 6.7 1200 miles . I would be in a bind if I had to choose . Both are fully loaded and I enjoy both of them . I had a 2016 Pw with 5k miles, started acting up , traded in for the megacab in 2016 and still love it . Problem is , so does my wife , so when had to get a new vehicle , she took it over ( gave up a Denali SUV for it ) I got the PW . It is 2 different beasts , PW is so much nicer around town , on the hwy it is a tossup . I dont worry about gas mileage , if I have to worry about gas milage id get a hybrid .

Drive them both or even better rent both or see if dealer will let you take one home for the night . Its how they sucker me all the time . Took the 3500 in for service work and while there bought a PW , but they gave wife a new Jeep to drive as a loaner for a few days , so might be adding a Rubicon to the mix soon . 3500 is on 37s at this time . I get around 20mph on long hwys and about 15 in town . Wife averages about 12 ( she has a heavy foot ) . The Pw being new im only getting around 14 or so , but no real trips , only a week old , so low milage . I can update later , will add 37s also . I t looks funny on 33's

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Both are trucks with specific purposes. If you don’t have a need for either, pass on both and find something that fits your needs better. That is unless you have F-you money... haha. I have a PW now, and have had several diesels in the past and all of them have been completely unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Grains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Taken from my experience, I would get the Megacab with the Cummins and wouldnt even think twice about it. I currently own a megacab with a cummins, but I dont think im biased as I owned many gas trucks before. People mention maintenance being more expensive is only partially true. Yes you do have to change fuel filters more often, but if you can do them yourself which is really a 15 minute job, then its not that bad. You dont get oil changes nearly as often as a gasser either. I get oil/fuel filter changes maybe once every 9-10 months depending on how much I drive. You also need to consider what your time and effort is worth when weighing the differences on maintenance intervals. The initial cost of a diesel over a gas truck is also moot point as it holds its value much better than a gas truck. Now when you get into the Megacab, you get into a whole different ball game. Very few people do not like Megacabs and lots of people are specifically looking for them. A Megacab compared to a regular 4 door is much more valuable to people. The ride will no doubt be nicer on the powerwagon especially when off road but I really dont see any other advantage to the gas truck. Even though you dont tow a whole lot of weight, towing is night and day difference between the two. When it comes to trucks, I would much rather be someone that has more truck than not enough.