Deck Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there are a million threads on aftermarket vs stock or what to do but figured I'd start my own since it might be a bit different based on what I'm looking for.

Issue is I drove my buddies loaded 19 Rebel the other day and now my interior looks extremely ghetto. The thing that stood out the most was the electronics. So wanting to upgrade the 5.0 in my 2017.

Was torn between 8.4 and aftermarket as I do prefer the factory look and size, but like the better sound, options, and screen quality of some of the aftermarket decks.

I love the Alpine restyles but not paying $2k+ that's ridiculous. But at same time I don't want something cheap so I don't mind paying $1k or so.

Would like it as big as possible obviously, but don't love the Halo9 because I don't like how it sits out of the dash. I like that the Kenwoods are HD screens as I do care about the screen quality, but 6.75" is on the smaller end of any the the brands. The phoenix Tesla style seem to have way too many issues from reading threads.

Main wants:

1. I don't care about CD or DVD I don't have those anymore.
  2. I have Android so would like android auto to work.
  3. Good screen clarity, colors, etc
  4. big as possible
  5. As factory of a fit and look as I can get
  6. not $2,000
  7. Back up camera for sure and hopefully front as well

Suggestions?

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start with Crutchfield, input your truck, and the features you want, and search. You'll want iDatalink -- which is an added cost. Even though you want "big", I'd stay far clear of the over-sized generic-brand Chinese units.

You'll have to think of what's most important to you? If you want big and best looks, the OE 8.4 unit would be best. If you prefer better sound, better expand-ability, you'd be better off with an aftermarket ~7" unit (stick with the mainstream reputable brands!).

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd start with Crutchfield, input your truck, and the features you want, and search. You'll want iDatalink -- which is an added cost. Even though you want "big", I'd stay far clear of the over-sized generic-brand Chinese units.

You'll have to think of what's most important to you? If you want big and best looks, the OE 8.4 unit would be best. If you prefer better sound, better expand-ability, you'd be better off with an aftermarket ~7" unit (stick with the mainstream reputable brands!).

Yeah thats the plan. I've checked out some on there but its hard to tell with just pics. I might have to go to some local shops and see them in person so I can see the screen quality etc. Not sure I've ever actually played with an 8.4 either so might have to see if I can do that. Definitely love the factory one in my buddies 19 Rebel.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now the hot ticket in the Car Audio groups is the Kenwood 9905S (or the 995 if you want Kenwood’s NAV). That’s the one I’m looking at sometime this year.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now the hot ticket in the Car Audio groups is the Kenwood 9905S (or the 995 if you want Kenwood’s NAV). That’s the one I’m looking at sometime this year.

Thanks I'll check it out

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The conversion to an 8.4 UAS or UAQ will get you the factory finish with Android Auto and a sharper image over the previous 8.4 models. The swap is super easy. Because you wouldn't be getting OTA updates, you could miss out on the latest version others are struggling with.
If additional sound is needed, you could add a 4 channel amp to boost (wouldn't recommend with stock speakers).
There are some great aftermarket HU's out there. But I personally feel they all look out of place in our 4th gen dash.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The conversion to an 8.4 UAS or UAQ will get you the factory finish with Android Auto and a sharper image over the previous 8.4 models. The swap is super easy. Because you wouldn't be getting OTA updates, you could miss out on the latest version others are struggling with.
If additional sound is needed, you could add a 4 channel amp to boost (wouldn't recommend with stock speakers).
There are some great aftermarket HU's out there. But I personally feel they all look out of place in our 4th gen dash.

Looking at the previously mentioned Kenwood had me between it and the upper end pioneer since they both have wireless android auto.

But I agree with you the 8.4 would look better. With the newest version would android auto be wireless? My only concern with not being able to update would be if it would support future phones that the kenwoods and pioneers would update for with firmware updates.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the previously mentioned Kenwood had me between it and the upper end pioneer since they both have wireless android auto.

But I agree with you the 8.4 would look better. With the newest version would android auto be wireless? My only concern with not being able to update would be if it would support future phones that the kenwoods and pioneers would update for with firmware updates.

They may have since improved on it, but the wireless AA isn't quite as stable as I'd hoped for just yet. I have a AVH-W4400NEX in my work truck (not a Ram). Nice HU but the wireless drops out on me often enough to be annoying. You would also need to make sure your phone is compatible, as it's a pretty short list.

I'm 99% sure the 8.4 units don't have the hardware required for a wireless AA or CP connection as it would need to use WiFi over BT.

You can update the UAS/UAQ without an OTA connection, I just wouldn't recommend doing so until FCA sends out the appropriate patch.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They may have since improved on it, but the wireless AA isn't quite as stable as I'd hoped for just yet. I have a AVH-W4400NEX in my work truck (not a Ram). Nice HU but the wireless drops out on me often enough to be annoying. You would also need to make sure your phone is compatible, as it's a pretty short list.

I'm 99% sure the 8.4 units don't have the hardware required for a wireless AA or CP connection as it would need to use WiFi over BT.

You can update the UAS/UAQ without an OTA connection, I just wouldn't recommend doing so until FCA sends out the appropriate patch.

Ok got ya thanks. I looked into it after your post. Looks like a good deck and would look great in the truck, biggest issue is the bezel kit is ridiculously expensive from infotainment. Might dig around a bit see whats included and see what I could grab used on fleabay. Then compare the total to the Kenwood/Pioneer. Granted by the time I get idatalink, steering wheel adaptors, bezel etc it might come out about the same.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I’m running a Kenwood Excelon DDX9904S in my truck and I love it. There really isn’t a ton of differences between the 2. The 9905S has wireless Android Auto which I didn’t care about because I use Apple products and I think it has a little bit better picture quality but not enough to pay the extra $300 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to Kenwood they upgraded the audio components to improve SQ along with getting a high res screen. The SQ upgrades have impressed the competitors who went from the 9904 to 9905 based on their posts.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to Kenwood they upgraded the audio components to improve SQ along with getting a high res screen. The SQ upgrades have impressed the competitors who went from the 9904 to 9905 based on their posts.

So unless you really into audio competitions does it really make that big of a difference? The screen on the 9904 is outstanding in my opinion

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me it absolutely does, as does the higher res screen. It all depends on what someone wants.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To me it absolutely does, as does the higher res screen. It all depends on what someone wants.

Very true it’s all about what your looking for I guess. I looked at both the 9904S and 9905S when I was looking for what I was looking for I couldn’t justify paying an extra $300 for a little but better screen, android audio, an upgrade to audio components that I’m sure the average joe wouldn’t even notice. That’s why I went with the 9904S. I was just looking for better sound quality and Apple car play. I upgraded from a ddx374BT so this was a huge upgrade for me

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly, either would be a huge improvement over the UConnect crap. At this point I have so much money ******* in my system that the $300 difference would be worth it for me. Even if I was never able to compare the two, the thought that “it could have been better” would have driven me nuts. :D

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd probably throw the extra 300 for the wireless android as wires are annoying. Might as well I have wireless chargers, headphones, etc

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd probably throw the extra 300 for the wireless android as wires are annoying. Might as well I have wireless chargers, headphones, etc

I’d wait a little longer before making wireless Android Auto a deal breaker it’s still got a fair amount of glitches, plus if you use it for anything other then a short trip your phone is going to die and your going need to charge it anyway

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do decide to go the UAS/UAQ route, I would highly recommend you do it yourself and not through infotainment. Primarily to save yourself a ton of money.
Check out the UAS/UAQ install thread in the DIY section. The first couple of posts cover it. The rest is primarily discussion. I went from a 5.0 Uconnect to the UAS, with new bezel, wiring harness, USB hub and HVAC module for less than half of what infotainment is charging.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do decide to go the UAS/UAQ route, I would highly recommend you do it yourself and not through infotainment. Primarily to save yourself a ton of money.
Check out the UAS/UAQ install thread in the DIY section. The first couple of posts cover it. The rest is primarily discussion. I went from a 5.0 Uconnect to the UAS, with new bezel, wiring harness, USB hub and HVAC module for less than half of what infotainment is charging.

Interesting. I've check that thread out a few times. Infotainment wanted 1800 with the bezel. Will definitely look into that.

Tjw2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just installed a KENWOOD DMX905s in my ‘18 today. Got it for $350. I originally wanted the DDX9905s for the better screen, but after looking at them side by side I decided it wasn’t worth the extra $300 (especially since I didn’t want a CD player and motorized screen).

Only headache is trying to get the USB ports back to the flip up center console. The ram port in there is actually a hub that won’t work with the KENWOOD, so I will probably run usb extenders up there and fabricate a plate to fix the hub hole at some point.

5CED03E5-9E95-46F7-BD0C-5D9716C5CD29.jpeg