DEF Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve8630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L eco diesel
This is my first eco diesel. The dealer told me that it would last roughly 10k miles before refill. I am about 2,200 mile and it has about 1/4 of it left. Anyone else have any experience that are similar

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The amount of DEF used is related to how the truck is used and if you used it more in City stop/go or mostly on the Hwy..

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 6.7 cummins I get 2300ish miles per tank of def. It adds .03cents ish per gallon of fuel.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
This is my first eco diesel. The dealer told me that it would last roughly 10k miles before refill. I am about 2,200 mile and it has about 1/4 of it left. Anyone else have any experience that are similar
I get between 7-8000 miles per def fillup, but as with anything, ymmv. Especially during winter. The more fuel you use, the more def you'll use.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would try to remember any of the other BS the dealer would tell you. For 5 years now I have gone through all the "good" brands of DEF. I even bought a refractometer to check the "cheap" stuff. And the WallyWorld DEF is just as good as the "premium" brands. And yeah about 2200 miles on avg use

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First off, use the cheapest DEF you can find, it al works the same. Second the gauge has never been linier so it doesn't go up or down at a consistent rate. (ie: the top have of the gauge may move slower then the lower half)

And usage is all going to be based on type of driving and load on the engine. Towing heavy will use much more then just driving around town etc. The harder you push the truck, the hotter the combustion temps are which creates more N0x, that in turn requires more DEF to reduce.

SF_bay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn Max Cab
Engine
Cummings 6.7
DEF Question I know it's out there somewhere, I read on this forum that after a while DEF builds up some carbon in the exhaust system and adding this 'what was it' a few times a year will blow the carbon out. I can't remember what this added fluid was/is and if it applies to older trucks of newer or all diesel engines in general. I have a 2022 2500 6.7 . Can any one respond to this being true and what is it that added. thanks for any help on this

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
DEF Question I know it's out there somewhere, I read on this forum that after a while DEF builds up some carbon in the exhaust system and adding this 'what was it' a few times a year will blow the carbon out. I can't remember what this added fluid was/is and if it applies to older trucks of newer or all diesel engines in general. I have a 2022 2500 6.7 . Can any one respond to this being true and what is it that added. thanks for any help on this

Snake oil....

DEF does not build up carbon for starters. It can leave some deposits around the DEF injector which kind of looks like dried up salt. With that said, I don't see anything you could put in your tank to help that, it would be burned off by the time it got to the SCR where the DEF is injected.

Now peak claims to have a "premium" DEF that supposedly helps reduce this buildup but I think it is more marketing babble then anything. I've seen no data to prove it either way.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never trust what a dealer sats to you ,unless they are the head mechanic that works for a dealer. Service reps will tell people anything to make them feel good , same with salespeople. read Your owners manual it may have some info .ask on forums. Remember dealers want your money and will say what it takes to make that sale.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
DEF is part of the SCR system and DEF usage is a result of NOx levels.

Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR)
When NOx reaches a certain level DEF is injected into the SCR (EGT4 sensor) to remove NO2/NOx. That certain level of NOx triggers the DEF injection and also determines how much DEF is to be injected.
NOx levels are a product of how the truck is being driven and what loads it is carrying or pulling.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do not ever put anything except pure DEF in the DEF tank

otherwise you will have a Tow Truck in your immediate future

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Do not ever put anything except pure DEF in the DEF tank

otherwise you will have a Tow Truck in your immediate future
Not quite true. You can add distilled water. I often run 1 gal of distilled water to a 2 1/2 gal jug of DEF. Turns the DEF % from 32-33 down to 26%. The bad DEF sensor doesn't alert until DEF gets to 22%.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i did not know that it could be diluted
but
i have at least 5 gallons of DEF right now
Some from Walmart, some from Tractor Supply
i have had the walmart DEF for a while & it is in trucks bed
with summer about to hit us, i should fill the tank, i've just been lazy

DesertRoads

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-Diesel
Definitely a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. Towing and stop and go driving, you will go through more DEF fluid than just highway driving. Costco has it for around $14 per 2.5 gallons with the Blue DEF brand.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Definitely a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. Towing and stop and go driving, you will go through more DEF fluid than just highway driving. Costco has it for around $14 per 2.5 gallons with the Blue DEF brand.
Have learned that Wally DEF is just as good as the more costly Def Blue and the Wally DEF has an easy to read production on date so I no longer have to waste my time figuring out the stupid production date code that DEF Blue uses, you need to do so too be sure what you buy is not an old jug that was returned by someone who bought to much because it was getting old or was stored in a hot garage before it was returned for a new one and the returned then got put back on the shelf for someone else to buy who did not take the time to decode production date.....

DesertRoads

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-Diesel
Good to know about Walmart DEF being just as good as the premium brands.