DEF Shortage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonandPam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Home Depot has Blue DEF, pallets of the stuff. Go figure.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The speculated DEF shortage in America is because China, the main supplier of urea, is keeping most of it for themselves. There are several reasons for that.
Just one more example of China and other foreign countries controlling our supplies. If we cant bring it back to USA then at least bring it back to this continent.

Norman Svarrer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Walmart has not had their brand of DEF in FL, NJ and GA stores. I tried to find Walmart DEF on my last trip North in those states without success. The local Walmart is selling Blue DEF. I bought Tractor Supply's DEF on the road and stopped at QT and Loves for fuel and DEF from the pump. Back home I went to Tractor Supply and bought 2 more 2 1/2 gallon jugs just in case it goes to a true shortage. I may buy another one just to have a supply for a 4,000 mile trip.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
As much as I hate Amazon, they appear to have it in every quantity you want. Also, Wal-Mart has it to order online. Summit Racing is special order, Jegs doesn't list it.

I'm in Canada right now and I'll check parts stores when I go into town. I'll let you know availability, if people need some for emergencies we can work something out about bringing some back, but Amazon/Wally World might be the quicker option. Ony downside to me bring it back I can't ship it to you until I cross border on Jan 5, as international shipping will cost more than fluid and take forever.
careful with Jegs... I'm still waiting for new tires I ordered and paid for back in the beginning of October. they provide no info on the status of the order after the email they sent me a day after ordering stating it was backordered and expected to ship nov 20th. My ecodiesel doesnt require DEF fluid.. used car dealer I bought it from sold it to me that way... I almost filled the tank before realizing it.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just bought a jug at Advance Auto earlier this week; they had tons of it.

I wonder if the "shortage" is going to be like the toilet paper shortage that started as a joke on Johnny Carson's TV show a few decades ago. Folks everywhere (who did not hear/read about it online because the only "online" was either standing on line or the landline telephone) scrambled to buy up as much as they could. The price went up and finally came back down as the supply stabilized.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
"...but they were out of Supertech DEF..."
I put in a gallon of that stuff once; glad I was under full factory warranty at the time. Not saying it caused the problem I experienced, but that was the only DEF-related problem I ever had with my CTD. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but as the saying goes, "one never knows, do one?".DPF Sensor 2.jpeg

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I bought a DEF Refractometer after I had issues outside of warranty that cost me $1200.
Same here, I check every jug of DEF from Wally. I get about 2k miles for every 2.5 gal jug with 50k on the ODO, been through quite a few. I only let it get to half then fill up. Last winter the Wally DEF was sold out and I had to get BlueDef and it checks just the same as the Cheapo Wally stuff.

I wish they made an "updater" vs a tuner for DEF delete. Something like an AEV ProCal for the Jeeps. I don't care about a million race tunes. $1k+ is more than a lil nuts.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I knew nothing about diesels a year ago when I bought my 05 (pretty much still don't). But I feel like I really "Dodged" a bullet with the whole DEF thing. Can't imagine buying a new Ram that requires a fluid you can't get to run correctly.

DarrenMeBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
DEF shortage already big problem in Australia. Double trouble is farm machinery all uses it too as well as urea used as fertilizer . In a short tuners can override the shutoff for you can also read up what other liquid can work . Truck stops dispense it just like fuel from a hose .

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DEF shortage is real. One of the leading producers, Russia, shut off exports.

FatCatOnSmack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well damn, guess I now have strong evidence to present to my wife, evidence to justify a full delete. Hold on baby you might get one this year. Yaay Canada.

Attachments

• 20210415_114534.jpg
    20210415_114534.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 2

Dan Dargeloh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins Diesel
I was told that DEF was unavailable by someone yesterday (12/24/21) who is a rumor spreader. A coulple of hours later I went into an Orscheln's farm and home store and they had a giant stack of it there, plus it was on sale. There are some whom have never heard a rumor that they can't make better!

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m new to diesels also. Just bought my first one in July 2021. Why couldn’t you just jump out the Def gauge and make it think it’s full all the time?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I’m new to diesels also. Just bought my first one in July 2021. Why couldn’t you just jump out the Def gauge and make it think it’s full all the time?
It is a little more complicated than just "fooling" the gauge. There is a sensor in the DEF tank that feeds the dosing module and the ECM with DEF level readings. The sensor is not mechanical. Also, there is a pressure sensor that monitors the pressure from the DEF pump. When the tank went dry, the pressure would drop causing the dosing module and ECM to register a malfunction with the DEF system.

pluffmud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mt. Pleasant, SC. Two Walmarts out of def. Autozone had three types (brands) and a truck load of it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I do wonder if there may be a plastics container issue
The grocery stores seem to be short on the plastic jugs for Milk
I live alone, so i buy milk in the little plastic bottles, i think they are 12 or 16 ounces. The stores are always out of them, sometimes they are out of the quart bottles too.
I am surprised that so many cardboard milk containers are back on the shelf again.

Milk is something that they can't hold in storage very long, or else they will have too much cottage cheese

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357