2017 6.7 Cummins 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpainHorse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a catastrophic DPF/Exhaust system failure at 35K miles. DPF was cracked and replaced. Cat Converter was replaced, as well as multiple sensors. Prior to this the truck sipped DEF. Now after replacement and ECM reflash, it guzzles DEF. Was the failure a result of not enough DEF in the exhaust system? Truck has 46K on it now and seems to be OK. Frankly, the 2017 doesn't tell you when you are regenerating and it had no outward signs that it was doing so prior to the failure. Now when it is I get a burning smell that it never produced before. I assume it is a REGEN. Any ideas?

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post you question in the 4th generation section and you will get some help.

Red

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
DEF has nothing to do with the DPF and was not the cause of your failure. DEF is injected into the SCR (post DPF) to reduce NOx emissions. The uptick in DEF usage is probably the result of the recent emissions recall, they have upped the DEF usage to bring the NOx down more.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like @mtnrider mentioned the excessive def usage was done from the recall. The sued Cummins for this I believe and this recall is the result or that lawsuit was something else lol