DEF? Check engine light only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunn12941

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
2018 RAM Diesel with 32,000 miles on it. Check engine light comes on. I take it to Advance Auto for a code read. They said it was a error with the DEF - which is what I expected since it was time to add. I add 2 gallons. Asked them to clear the code they said they are not permitted to. I take it to a mechanic this morning, and they tell me the check engine light would have cleared itself if that was the only issue.

Note: I never got a specific notice about low DEF on the dash.

Is he trying to yank money outta me, or what? The nearest dealer is 35 miles away and I don't want to drive that far if something critical is going on. Should I just disconnect the batteries to see if it clears?

Many thanks in advance...

Sueluis57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P2048 is the injector P20E8 the pump? It’s not pumping up to par. I replaced the pump, injector, the wiring harness, and I still have problems with it, trying to figure it out.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Odd that you'd need to replace all 3 at the same time but your message is fairly cryptic and leaves a lot to the imagination.

What specifically was it doing before when you determined that the injector, pump, and harness needed replacement, and what specifically is it doing now that you've done all those things?