Dented chrome bumper suggestion for repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckp_tn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm being told this bumper is better to get completely swapped out rather than attempt a DIY solution myself. I'm not a fix-it guy when it comes to car, but man, is that so? Before I bring it into the shop, can anybody shine some light on what they might do in this situation? Should I replace with a regular MOPAR chrome bumper?

Thanks

bumper.jpg

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
well The OP are correct if you want the upper cover to sit properly and look good and not rust you need to replace it with a OEM (MOPAR) bumper and upper pad they are a one time use ! you can take the upper pad off but they never clip back on properly or sit nicely !
But if you don't care take it off get a big sledge hammer and a block of wood lay it face down on some wood and pound it out But you will most likely brake the chrome and it will never look good like before !
Personally I would be purchasing a new Bumper and upper pad and putting it on!
But That's just me

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, if this were my truck I would have already replaced the bumper with an oem replacement.

I wouldn't be happy with a repaired chrome bumper and I'm not sure if there is a bodyshop in my area that would even tackle an project like that.

I've replaced a rear bumper with a brand new oem in the past by myself and it wasn't an difficult task ... and I was happy, that's what it's about.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That rear bumper can be bought, used but straight
maybe $150 - $200 without the mounting brackets

the rubber pad may or may not go with it

years to look for 2009 to at least 2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm being told this bumper is better to get completely swapped out rather than attempt a DIY solution myself. I'm not a fix-it guy when it comes to car, but man, is that so? Before I bring it into the shop, can anybody shine some light on what they might do in this situation? Should I replace with a regular MOPAR chrome bumper?

Thanks

View attachment 521960
That not repairable. You could beat it till the 4th of July and it's not ever going to look any better, just different. The best/cheapest solution is to call a good local salvage yard and see if they can locate you a clean one. If not, pay the $ and get OEM. Even a good rechrome bumper won't last as long as OEM.