Anyone go down the path of hiring an attorney to deal with shady dealers and/or contacted Dodge directly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I live in the Austin, TX area and we basically have 3 dealers here. One of which I had problems with going way back 20 years when I was dumb enough to buy a jeep. No shocker that I'm having problems with them again 2 decades later with a Dodge truck now.

I bought a 21 Ram 3500 HO Diesel with air suspension at Nyle Maxwell near Cedar Park where I was living at the time. I now have 22k miles on it. I bought this to tow a 30-foot trailer and eventually a 5th wheel which I've recently just finally purchased. Within the first year the air suspension quit working. I took it to Mack Haik in Georgetown, TX (where I did not buy it from, I took it here because this is where I live now) and was told (right after he tried to bang me out for new tires I didn't yet need) "this is en engineering problem and there is no fix for it at the current time". Coincidentally a couple months later I hired a tree trimmer to trim my trees after a storm and turns out this guy is a regional Dodge rep. he told me this was a flat out lie and likely this dealer didn't wanna tie up a bay with a multi-week warranty repair job, especially for a truck bought at another dealer.

Since then I've have unbearable problems getting my truck into service. I've had to do oil changes and brake work at 3rd parties. They no longer have loaner cars at the 2 dealers I'm trying to work with. It's literally weeks before they claim they can even look at it once brought in and probably many weeks after that due to "parts shortages". I can' stroke out $800 a week for a basic econo retal car. Just this morning I called about the transmission light coming on and was told it would probably be 2 weeks before I could even bring it in and another couple weeks before they could even diagnose the problem(s). So right off the bat I'm looking at upwards of $3k in rental car costs. (would rather that go to a legal retainer)

In summary, I now have a transmission warning light on. The trailer brake has never worked, now that I own a 5th wheel I'm finding this out. The air suspension is still broken. I need a fuel filter service. A myriad of little ticky tack things like radio knobs falling off and misc stuff inside the cab. (22,000 miles FYI)

I've just reached the end of my tolerance and patience with these crappy, shady dealers.

Should I even bother with contacting the Dodge corporation? Or should I go directly to interviewing lawyers? I'm absolutely fed up. The is the most unsatisfactory vehicle purchase of my life. I paid $90k for this truck. Absolutely blown away at one) how many problems I've had and two) how absolutely crap and dishonest the dealers have been.

I already have a deposit down on a Ford F450 (note: NOT AT MARK HAIK FORD for sure), but I'm told this is going to be a year long wait. I have a brand new 5th wheel I can't use now. My 1 year warranty on a slew of stuff in it will pass before I can even vet it out and use it.

Absolutely had enough. Won't ever buy another Dodge in my life but I'm stuck in this situation until I can trade it in for the Ford. But I'm not taking this lying down. I'm ready to throw down a chunk of cash on a legal retainer and go this route. I'm so fed up.

Just curious if contacting the Dodge corporation will be of use? I'll contact them anyways regardless but should I expect this route to bear any fruit?
"I bought a 21 Ram 3500 HO Diesel with air suspension at (dealer) where I was living at the time. Within the first year the air suspension quit working. I took it to Mack Haik in Georgetown, TX (where I did not buy it from, I took it here because this is where I live now) and was told (right after he tried to bang me out for new tires I didn't yet need) "this is en engineering problem and there is no fix for it at the current time". Coincidentally a couple months later I hired a tree trimmer to trim my trees after a storm and turns out this guy is a regional Dodge rep. he told me this was a flat out lie and likely this dealer didn't wanna tie up a bay with a multi-week warranty repair job, especially for a truck bought at another dealer."

You had a problem, took it to your a second Ram dealer and the response was lousy, based on additional info from a tree trimmer. Why did you not contact Ram directly to discuss the poor response and/or a resolution of the issue? Did this dealer mark the Repair Order with the "engineering" comment?

"Since then I've have unbearable problems getting my truck into service. I've had to do oil changes and brake work at 3rd parties. They no longer have loaner cars at the 2 dealers I'm trying to work with."

First, dealers are not obliged to provide loaners. It's considered a courtesy, and since Covid no one around here of any make provides them. As for waiting for an appointment, that's pretty routine. Do you expect the service department to push other customers behind to accommodate you?

"It's literally weeks before they claim they can even look at it once brought in and probably many weeks after that due to "parts shortages". I can' stroke out $800 a week for a basic econo retal car."

Sounds like the dealer hasn't refused service, but you are being impatient. How does the dealer know this issue is affected by parts shortages?

Just this morning I called about the transmission light coming on and was told it would probably be 2 weeks before I could even bring it in and another couple weeks before they could even diagnose the problem(s). So right off the bat I'm looking at upwards of $3k in rental car costs. (would rather that go to a legal retainer).

Is this dealer THAT busy? This is beginning to sound like they are putting you, for sure, but why? Have you been demanding or threatening with them? As to the cost of the rental, this would likely be the same issue for you if the vehicle was a Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, etc.

"I now have a transmission warning light on. The trailer brake has never worked, now that I own a 5th wheel I'm finding this out. The air suspension is still broken. I need a fuel filter service. A myriad of little ticky tack things like radio knobs falling off and misc stuff inside the cab. (22,000 miles FYI)."

If you've tried to get repairs on any of these items and the dealer has had several attempts to resolve them, and hasn't, you could pursue a lemon law claim. You shouldn't need an attorney for that as that process is usually through arbitration.

"I've just reached the end of my tolerance and patience with these crappy, shady dealers."

I suspect I (we) don't have the full story here, but I'm suspicious the dealer may not exactly have warm feelings for you, either.

"Should I even bother with contacting the Dodge corporation?"

Which means you haven't tried to resolve the issue beyond the dealer! You should've elevated these issue long ago. Now it's a hit on your credibility.

Or should I go directly to interviewing lawyers? I'm absolutely fed up. The is the most unsatisfactory vehicle purchase of my life. I paid $90k for this truck. Absolutely blown away at one) how many problems I've had and two) how absolutely crap and dishonest the dealers have been.

Going to a lawyer is going to cost you out-of-pocket. As to the dealership, based on what you are telling us, they haven't done a good job, but it would be nice to have all of the facts.

"I already have a deposit down on a Ford F450."

Good! I think that's the best thing for you.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 111890 miles.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
2806f2a4d26bfb287f9598a7d8eb3c7be8bfa930d9e87c91ad7b4c1897d5b546_1.webp

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Absolutely had enough. Won't ever buy another Dodge in my life but I'm stuck in this situation until I can trade it in for the Ford. But I'm not taking this lying down. I'm ready to throw down a chunk of cash on a legal retainer and go this route. I'm so fed up.

Just curious if contacting the Dodge corporation will be of use? I'll contact them anyways regardless but should I expect this route to bear any fruit?
Getting a vehicle repaired under warranty these days isn't always easy. There is no shortage of folks with complaints about RAM service departments. This is not unique to RAM and if you think Ford and GM service departments are any better, think again. The reason I'm driving a RAM is because I was GM until I had enough of them, and then Ford did the same. So far, and I guess I'm very lucky, I have a RAM dealership near me with an outstanding service department and a very competent diesel mechanic.

If you want your truck fixed, you are going to have some pain. Unless you have very deep pockets, I wouldn't bother taking a legal route.