dfk vs dfd transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laramielambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
does anyone know the difference between the 8spd dfk and the 8spd dfd transmissions offered by ram?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 8HP45 (845RE) is for the V6 while the 8HP70 is for the V8's. The second generation of each 8HP50(850RE) and 8HP75 are minor upgrades to their perspective designs, but overall very similar. The differentiation between the two transmissions is the rated input torque in NM 450/500 vs 700/750.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

OP
OP
L

laramielambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you

i had actually read that before i posted lol but i was hoping to get it in english.lol

what i assumed that i learned was that one of the two is european made and chrysler makes the other one. one has more clutch plates or thicker plates and a larger oil pan? as well one is larger (longer?)and heavier and one of them is better than the other and i guess they differ in torque by a little.

they are the same price and are offered on the build sheet when you build your own.

i would like to figure out which is which.

if they are essentually mocking each other why offer the option? is it a 2wd 4wd thing?

OP
OP
L

laramielambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it is actually an option for the 5.7 hemi motor. nothing to do with the 6 cylinder.

even the guys at the dealership cant answer this question.

but i think you were closest. like i said i read an article about the origins of this transmission a long time ago and from what i recall, yes there were 2, one being the little brother, lighter smaller and not quite as bullet proof.

i would love to know the truth, for the 500$ i would definately go with the big brother lol