Diagnose this: No cruise control and airbag light is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Towtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 V-8
My cruise control doesn't work and my airbag light is on. I know the "easy answer" is that there is something wrong with my airbag control box but I'm thinking that it is more like the connection between the steering wheel and the other stuff (ie. airbag box and cruise-control servo). Does anyone have any idea how I can DIY diagnose and fix this? Is it a "clockspring" problem or connections with the clockspring?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to RF.

You're technically in the wrong section, but I can still help you.

I'd be definitely looking at the clockspring or the connector for it, you're on the right track with that.

Just remember that before you start pulling stuff apart, disconnect both the negative and positive battery terminals and wait 30 minutes for the PCM and air bag module to discharge so ya don't blow your face in if the air bag goes off.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
T

Towtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 V-8
Well, after using this website once i can see that the biggest problem is that is very hard to use because there are so many advertisements making it hard to navigate. The black on black them makes the various fields hare to see.

Thanks so much for the reply to let me know i am generally in the right direction and instructions on how not to blow my face off.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
T

Towtruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 V-8
Any idea how I would isolate the problem to the clock-spring or connector as opposed to the airbag box itself?

Thanks.