Differential Clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgsguitar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4 x 4 Diesel with a 4:10 rear gear. Recently I have started to get a clunking in the rear differential much more frequently than an odd clunk. It happens most often when I'm going slowly in my RV park, when I accelerate a bit let off the gas pedal then reapply the gas pedal it clunks pretty distinctly in the rear and you can feel it as well as hear it. Also when accelerating normally the 2nd a 3rd upshifts give a little kick at the rear that was not there before. Sometimes when I put the truck in Park it clunks as well. Trouble is I've had it at one independant shop and at a dealer for diagnosis and both say they have trouble replicating the clunking and see nothing out of the ordinary underneath. I leave the shops and can make it clunk right away. I am concerned there is some issue in the rear end like a sloppy or wearing pinion gear (shim ) but cannot seem to find a reliable experienced shop that can properly diagnose the problem. I am in Florida north of Clearwater and was wondering if any members know of any shops in this area that are well experienced with these Ram 11-1/2" diffentials that might be able to look at this for me ? Appreciate any info if anyone has had this issue or has any shop recommendations.

Jim

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
From what you have described it sounds like the universal joint. Easy to check, lift the truck or just slid far enough under to reach the drive shaft. Try rotating the drive shaft as if the engine was running (don't have the engine running) you should hear noise from the rear of the shaft near the joint. I think most of the Ram trucks have sealed joints, no zerk fittings.

Change the joints soon sever damage can happen if the joints let loose.

When replacing the joints get the ones with zerk fittings so grease can be added as needed.

Good Luck