Transmission Downshifting 5th to 4th clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I have a 2022 2500 6.4, that has a clunk sound when truck is downshifting from 5th to 4th coming to a stop. The dealership has already replaced the throttle body thinking its mechanical because no codes. Picked truck up Saturday, and still doing the same thing, clunk when coming to a stop from 5th to 4th. At times when it clunks, you can actually feel like someone just tapped you from the rear. The mechanic and I are baffled. Is there any suggestions out there, and I can't have the only one this is happening too.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard others on the forum with the same issue and said the fix was to grease the spline of the driveshaft ? .....worth looking in to

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you decide to pull the driveshaft apart to lube it,as Co-pilot has suggested,make sure you mark it,so it goes back together properly clocked,and i'd use a good quality graphite based anti-seaze to lube the splines

OP
OP
StansRam

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
How does greasing the splines have to do with the clunk only when coming to a stop, and it clunks when downshifting from 5th to 4th? It only does it when going from 5th to 4th.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How does greasing the splines have to do with the clunk only when coming to a stop, and it clunks when downshifting from 5th to 4th? It only does it when going from 5th to 4th.
It's worth trying,as the splines get sticky,and then basically clunk when they do slide.It's a known issue,use the search function,you'll find a few threads on it

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I noticed my truck does this. I have a theory that it is the torque converter unlocking at the same time as the downshift. I don't really have any way to verify that though. I will try changing the fluid this spring and see if that helps at all.

53Stude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007megacab / 2024 crew cab both 6.7L
Engine
It’s not for a Ram, but I do know Ford had a similar sounding issue of a clunk noise. The cure was to grease the drive shaft splines. It cured the problem on two of my friends F150 trucks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They used to put grease nipples on the 2 piece driveshafts so you could grease the splines,but they don't do that anymore