Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As the title states, I show you how I greased my front drive shaft fitting on my 2018 Ram 2500. The truck finally hit enough miles to require its first mandated service which included a tire rotation, topping of DEF, inspecting the suspension/front end, and lubricating the front drive shaft fitting. Very simple, although you need the right tools such as a grease gun, hose extension and injector needle.

ChubbyCat113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting I was just looking at this last week and was kind of lost!

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for posting I was just looking at this last week and was kind of lost!

No problem! It is fairly simple, the injector needle does all the work. Just need to position the driveshaft at a location the hose and needle can get to. I plan on greasing every 7500 miles or 6 months along with my steering gear box stabilizer since I am already down there with the gun.

ChubbyCat113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem! It is fairly simple, the injector needle does all the work. Just need to position the driveshaft at a location the hose and needle can get to. I plan on greasing every 7500 miles or 6 months along with my steering gear box stabilizer since I am already down there with the gun.

I'm going to wait for it to stop raining and grease mine......damn hurricane lol

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Florence is heading my way!

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I tried, unsuccessfully, to grease mine. I am going to get a new grease gun (hand operated) instead of my old lever gun. I have also read that bending the needle slightly helps.
Thanks for posting this video.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I tried, unsuccessfully, to grease mine. I am going to get a new grease gun (hand operated) instead of my old lever gun. I have also read that bending the needle slightly helps.
Thanks for posting this video.

I didn’t have to bend the needle at all. The needle actually slides in just a tad, like getting a shot at the hospital. Didn’t take many pumps at all to go through. Hope next time is better.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I had my front driveshaft rebuilt at a local shop and had them install Spicer greasable crosses and CV joint... When the rear driveshaft develops a problem, it's going to get the same overhaul.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had my front driveshaft rebuilt at a local shop and had them install Spicer greasable crosses and CV joint... When the rear driveshaft develops a problem, it's going to get the same overhaul.

I'm sure that makes it a ton easier

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Last week I finally got a new grease gun. Lucas one hand operation. Put a slight bend in the needle, just couldn’t get it to work otherwise. But thanks to this post I finally got this done. Thanks for the inspiration.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Last week I finally got a new grease gun. Lucas one hand operation. Put a slight bend in the needle, just couldn’t get it to work otherwise. But thanks to this post I finally got this done. Thanks for the inspiration.

Glad you could get it done! At least it doesn't need greasing every weekend..

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
My old '78 Bronco, with it's monster lift kit, I had to drop the transfer case end of the driveshaft to get enough opening in the CV to grease the crosses and center pivot. The axle end of the shaft was easy enough to rotate so the zerk (or needle) on the cross was accessible. Given the more extreme shaft angles on lifted vehicles, I would recommend replacing any zerks with the needle sockets. That's what I did on my lifted vehicles to ensure clearance.

Given how Dodge has created a monopoly stranglehold on the driveshaft (and any other frickin') parts, *I* would have a custom driveshaft built with Spicer parts, like I did with my 2012 RAM.

Second choice would be to have a precision machine shop drill and tap the center of each cap on the cross and thread in a needle fitting. That is not an optimal or recommended solution to non-greasable joints, but if done correctly, it would be safe and effective. Big downside to that idea is weakening the cap and potentially having it crack and blow apart under load. Not a problem with all the grocery-getters driving around but certainly a concern for someone with a real truck.