DIY radio removal & integrate after market amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so today i went ahead and installed my system. 2 kicker CVT10's and a kicker zx750.1 amp. I only documented the removal of the radio and installation of the PAC chr3 amp interface. the system sounds awesome i just need to get some seat spacers so i can fold my seats back down.

Step 1: remove rubber mat in tray above radio to reveal two screws.
ebf0fd6a.jpg

step 2: remove trim piece around 115v outlet to reveal screw right above outlet. the trim piece has a little notch on the bottom of the opening to slip in a screwdriver
86a93891.jpg

step 3: remove lower rubber tray of console two reveal two more screws.
cbe80c08.jpg

step 4: remove all screws that we just revealed (5)

step 5: remove chrome trim piece around shifter. some guy online said he used his finger LOL! that thing is in there tight, so i just used a flat head screwdriver and worked my way around. pop up one section at a time just slightly until your all the way around.
3f5b4340.jpg

step 6: remove console trim around shifter and cupholders. they are just clipped in so just yank it outta there.
83e2f515.jpg

this is what it should look like
1f4a7340.jpg

step 7: remove the trim around the radio. it all comes out theres just a bunch of clips. i found the best way to get leverage was to grab it near the bottom.
3d240d85.jpg
Now this piece has several connectors that need to be disconnected before you remove it so i left it like this until they were all done.
c2e101d8.jpg

Step 8: remove the fully disconnected trim piece to reveal 4 screws that hold in the radio. 7mm i believe and this is what it looks like.
048e855a.jpg

step9: disconnect the three connections on the back of the radio and pull it out.
578d1b8b.jpg

step 10: now the PAC CHR3 is just for NON amplified stock systems. there is one for the alpines and what nots i think its CHY3 or something like that.
Plug the harness from the truck into the plug from the CHR3 and than the other end of the CHR3 goes into the radio. This unit provides two sets of preamp outputs and a REM cable.
1dfd2372.jpg
974767f1.jpg

thats it! re-install is just the opposite of what we just went through. i would have detailed the amp wiring kit process but im a little ashamed of what i used for a hole through the fire wall and a ground, but it works! my amp is underneath the drivers seat but its a little big and sticks out the back so i might have to find another amp. Plus this box was said to fit QCs from 02-08 and i was told it fit through 12 but the seats wont fold down with the subs back there. I plan on getting some spacers and hopefully that will work . if not than i need a new box!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
nice write up man. That chr 3 is really tempting since i wouldn't have to tap into the wires like you have to with a loc. Does it also have an integrated remote wire to turn on the amp?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
cool!

Butch, don't you have the Alpine setup in yours?

OP
OP
DisturbedGator

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nice write up man. That chr 3 is really tempting since i wouldn't have to tap into the wires like you have to with a loc. Does it also have an integrated remote wire to turn on the amp?

yup it sure does have the remote turn on wire! seamless way to add some bass to your stock setup imo. way better than a line out converter to me. is there a fox box for the 09+ quad cabs yet?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
yup it sure does have the remote turn on wire! seamless way to add some bass to your stock setup imo. way better than a line out converter to me. is there a fox box for the 09+ quad cabs yet?

damn I should have gotten that instead of the line out converter. Yes theres a fox box. I have it.

6224777710_a8905144b0_b.jpg

OP
OP
DisturbedGator

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you have a link for that box?

OP
OP
DisturbedGator

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dang i wish he had a sealed one for some tens.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this a while back and its by far the best mod. Clean, plug and play, and works great. My old 3rd gen fox box even fit under my 4th gen seats so it worked perfect. I like mygig to much to get rid of it so this was the best option.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
nice write up, man that CVR is old school!!!

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
nope, and i'm still shocked at how good it sounds..lol

I bet better. I forgot to hear it. Full range to all the 6x9s are way better. I wish I can do that to mine

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for the 4th gen ram with the alpine touch screen head unit you need to order the pac chy23 and that gives you remote out and rca outs for your amplifiers and it plugs between the stock wiring harness and the stock head unit.. i picked 1 up of ebay for like $120 they usually run for like $160 and then you dont have to splice and wires it would cost over 100 for get a line out installed professionally anyways so this is something you can do yourself

shawnsetia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my question is can somone help direct me or just inform me on how to run my rca wires from my pac module so behind the factory alpine unit to my amp under/behind the back seats... do i have to pull the carpet/panels and center console.. or do i have to drill holes in the carper and for the 4 guage going to my battery do i drill a hole in that plastic cover near the firewall its for the clutch pedal right? has anyone done this?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I will have to refrain from ordering this up right now. It seems like the perfect option for me. How you like that Kicker Amp? I haven't had a system in quite a while, feel very 'out of the loop'. I love my Comp VR 10s.

TNhemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my question is can somone help direct me or just inform me on how to run my rca wires from my pac module so behind the factory alpine unit to my amp under/behind the back seats... do i have to pull the carpet/panels and center console.. or do i have to drill holes in the carper and for the 4 guage going to my battery do i drill a hole in that plastic cover near the firewall its for the clutch pedal right? has anyone done this?

I've done alot of research and everyone I've seen has drilled a whole through the plastic cover on the firewall that you are referring to for the power wire to run through and put a grommet in there. As for running your RCAs, I would guess it's just your preference. I'm going to try and run under the carpet, plan on doing this weekend.