Do I Really Need It? Gas vs. Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuddyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
I currently own a '06 Mega Cab w/ the 5.9L Cummins. I'm looking to trade for something newer but am at a dilemma and am looking for some "expert" opinions on whether getting into another diesel truck (Cummins) is warranted.

I originally got it to pull our 6,200 lb travel trailer. We normally camped once, sometimes, twice a month on the weekends within a 100 mile radius of our home, but occasionally will have a long distance trip for a summer vacation. We pulled it from Indiana to Florida (Disney) using the truck.

Long-story-short...with our kids being highly involved in athletics we don't have as much free time to regularly go camping anymore, but still plan on making the occasional long venture across multiple states and camping trips when time allows.

I use this truck as a daily driver (less than 20 miles round trip commute to work). Is it practical to trade for another diesel truck or would the 6.4L HEMI be sufficient enough for my needs.

Opinions and thoughts welcome! Thanks!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your usage doesn't justify the diesel at this point. But in my opinion if you are getting a HD truck I would lean towards the diesel. I had a gas 2500 (2013 5.7) and absolutely couldn't stand it. I traded it after a year.

Now given that you are only towing 6200lbs you can get away with a 1/2 ton and have much better commuter that can tow once a year.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
im on my second hemi 2500 and absolutely love it! i turned my father onto his first one and he loves it as well, for what you do, a gas powered 3/4 ton will do just fine, the 3rd gens 3/4 ton gas trucks get **** for MPG but its not bought for that, i will say that i had my dads 2018 2500 CC with the 6.4 hemi 4x4 and was getting 19mpg on the hwy...

the 6.4 will definitely be worth it in the long term cost of maintenance, lower oil change cost and less wear and tear on the front end components...

I personally love both motors so hopefully nobody takes this as a cummins bashing thing, but you (the op) are in the same boat im in, i tow my show truck on a car hauler to shows a few times a year, which just doesnt make a cummins worth it, not to mention all the emissions BS that comes on the cummins now and my being in an area where you cant delete it, make it a no brainer not to get one IMO

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is primarily a gasser forum so I think you know what the answer will be (rightfully so). I bet even on the Cummins site they would suggest a gas for your load and usage. Like I said above, I think your big question is going to be 3/4 or 1/2 ton? You towing needs don't justify the 3/4 ton.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
This is primarily a gasser forum so I think you know what the answer will be (rightfully so). I bet even on the Cummins site they would suggest a gas for your load and usage. Like I said above, I think your big question is going to be 3/4 or 1/2 ton? You towing needs don't justify the 3/4 ton.

I wouldnt say this is a "gasser forum" just because its not dedicated to diesels like CF is, there are a lot of CTD owners on here, typically a CTD owner will always suggest a CTD, ive had both so i have an equal love for both platforms and speak from first hand experience.

while the mentioned needs dont really call for a 3/4 ton, i will say that towing my truck with my 3/4 ton hemi is much better than towing the same load with a half ton (yes thats a given) and thats exactly it, I always prefer to have a over as opposed to right at what i need, its nice to have the extra there in case you ever need it, which is the same reason my dad changed from buying 1/2 tons and went to a 3/4 ton, he towed a load of rock that his half ton was rated for and he said it didnt feel right, same load on his 3/4 ton obviously felt better, but thats the point im making, its more than the OP needs but not an overkill more, which will make towing his load that much better

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I tow 8000# with another 12-1500 in the bed. We are retired and do a lot of traveling with our camper. (Alaska, Newfoundland, etc. When I bought the 2014 I put a pencil to the figures and a diesel would never pay for itself over the gas. Every situation is different and everybody has different needs/wants. Many buy the diesel just because they want one but I look at things from a practical view.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A lot depends on the weight you tow now or may be towing in the future.

The 6.4L gas HEMI is a fine engine and will not have a problem towing your current trailer or even a larger one. You won't see CTD mileage when towing or driving, however.

I personally like the diesel for towing and it does pretty well as a daily driver as well. Diesel maintenance costs a bit more than gas maintenance. Diesel fuel is currently more expensive here than premium fuel so that may wash out any potential cost savings due to better MPG.

Lastly the acquisition cost of a CTD will be higher than the gas truck. Right now, sticker on a CTD powered Tradesman model is approx. $9K higher than the equivalent Tradesman with the 6.4L Hemi in it.

When I had to replace my totaled 2500 with the 6.4L HEMI in it, I stepped up to a CTD because I knew I was going to upsize our trailer and I knew I was going to need that Cummins power.

In my view, unless you plan on towing heavy a lot, I'd go with the HEMI.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One thing on the gas vs diesel 2500 people fail to take into account when doing a trade study between the 2 is the re-sale value of the diesel. While you may put out $9k more initially (which you will never make up in fuel savings etc. over a gas) you Will recoup that cost when it comes time to sell. Have you seen the used diesel market, it's crazy.
So in the end you may pay $9K more but you will get $9k more when it comes time to sell. And there is also a mileage point where the gasser will just tank in value and the diesel will retain value longer. In the end I think it's pretty much a wash either way, it comes down to what you want and what suits your towing requirements best. For me if I "need" a 2500 it's going to be a diesel, if I don't need the towing capacity I'll go back to a 1/2 ton.
Diesel is the same price as the low octane gas in my area.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I currently own a '06 Mega Cab w/ the 5.9L Cummins. I'm looking to trade for something newer but am at a dilemma and am looking for some "expert" opinions on whether getting into another diesel truck (Cummins) is warranted.

I originally got it to pull our 6,200 lb travel trailer. We normally camped once, sometimes, twice a month on the weekends within a 100 mile radius of our home, but occasionally will have a long distance trip for a summer vacation. We pulled it from Indiana to Florida (Disney) using the truck.

Long-story-short...with our kids being highly involved in athletics we don't have as much free time to regularly go camping anymore, but still plan on making the occasional long venture across multiple states and camping trips when time allows.

I use this truck as a daily driver (less than 20 miles round trip commute to work). Is it practical to trade for another diesel truck or would the 6.4L HEMI be sufficient enough for my needs.

Opinions and thoughts welcome! Thanks!

The 6.4 Hemi is plenty enough to handle anything you can throw at it

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package