Do you take off as soon as the engine starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rampower2012

Remote my truck an let it run for 20 min in the cold weather

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normal days I let the oil pressure peak, then go.

-40 days, I let it run a few minutes tops.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have read several articles this is the correct way. Never should you get on it right after you start it. Most engine wear is from the first few seconds of running due to oil not flowing through the entire engine yet.

I heard around ram forums that usually 1 1/2 minutes after starting is the best way to do it, because it makes sure than oil is getting circulated everywhere

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live in Alaska. I'd love to remote start some mornings & have the seat/steering wheel warm up also. Is there any way to get those "warmers" to come on w/ remote start ? As it is, I can't turn them on till I push the "Start" button, once I get inside. The defroster/heater will come on - if I leave them on at "shutdown", but not those two. Just curious ??
I don't let the eng run very long, even on remote start, below zero days. Just long enough to clean off/scrape the windshield, windows, etc. Above zero, I just wait for the red eng coolant symbol to extinguish and then slow creep to to the hwy. Thnx in advance
My '14 the seat and steering wheel will come on with remote start, wife's side heated seat will not, I have not checked the program to see if it can be changed, most of the time, I am by myself anyway.
The steering wheel gets too hot at times, don't know if it is adjustable or not?
It is they it came, though I have played with settings a bit, auto mirrors, etc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I live in Alaska. I'd love to remote start some mornings & have the seat/steering wheel warm up also. Is there any way to get those "warmers" to come on w/ remote start ? As it is, I can't turn them on till I push the "Start" button, once I get inside. The defroster/heater will come on - if I leave them on at "shutdown", but not those two. Just curious ??
The setting to turn the heated seat/steering wheel on with remote start is in the radio. You can select them to come on automatically with remote start, all starts or not at all. The outside air temperature shown on the radio also has to be below 40°F for them to turn on automatically, that is not changeable.

B_Hansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually remote start when I am getting dressed when getting ready at 4:30am for work or if i'm up a little earlier I'll play with the dog outside while it's going.

Leaving work as I'm walking to my truck.

Usually I check my trans temp and if it is in the -°C I wait until its roughly between 5-8 °C

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In warmer temps I give it a few seconds for the fluid pressures to come up and the idle to come down then I go. When it's blistering cold, I like to give it a few minutes to get things moving if I can and just take it easy.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEVA move without a warm up period. Summer, well since it likes to get to 90-110, running AC. Winter, let run 2-5, unless bad icing, which occurs very infrequently, Just a Saying. Really depends upon where U R at. But NEVA Crank, jam in gear and go, give at least a lil while for fluids to circulate and pressures to get up, all IMHO....

LIKE CRASH 68 SAID: Heated Seats/steering wheel comes on under 40 degrees. Now in my EVIC, since I am the only one in the truck, I have the PAX seats disabled, since no one there. IF wife was still alive, etc.,. would have turned on, OF COURSE.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '14 the seat and steering wheel will come on with remote start, wife's side heated seat will not, I have not checked the program to see if it can be changed, most of the time, I am by myself anyway.
The steering wheel gets too hot at times, don't know if it is adjustable or not?
It is they it came, though I have played with settings a bit, auto mirrors, etc.
The setting to turn the heated seat/steering wheel on with remote start is in the radio. You can select them to come on automatically with remote start, all starts or not at all. The outside air temperature shown on the radio also has to be below 40°F for them to turn on automatically, that is not changeable.

I was also wondering if the passenger side could perform this function while remote starting. My GF has asked me a few times now if I could do it with alfa, but I haven't seen anything about anyone doing it.

As for the starting and going, I remote start and let idle a lot during winter and summer. I love a comfortable truck in either cold or hot, and don't plan on keeping it longer than the power train warranty, so I'm not concerned with high idle times. It generally takes my truck 10-15 minutes to get the desired cabin temperature during these conditions but to me that's the whole point of having remote start. During the fall and spring when remote starting isn't necessary, I wait for the RPM's to kick back down and then ease out of the neighborhood.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do remember doing the warm up thing with my dad's 1970 Ford Torino Cobra per his request back in the 90's, mostly cause it was his car and if i wanted to use it might as well be respectful to his wishes. I think i can recall i stopped doing the engine warmup thing back in 1999 after starting with a Camaro Z28 i had bought to mod it to oblivion for 1/4 track purposes. Back then i was getting pushed to the water box so i'll start the engine right from the water box, burn the drag radials for about 10 sec or so and stage for the light. Since then i've never cared anymore for doing engine warmups.

I've had vehicles all the way up to 200k miles changing the oil every 10k hahaha. Never had any issues because i don't warm them up, don't know if it was an old school thing since my dad used to think alike. I was born in the 70's so i'm not that old and in my school we learned we have to be on time everywhere we say we will be, Lol. Warming up the engine before taking off is not in any list i recon nor i give a chit about it. RAM has 85K miles and counting, no engine ticks, doesn't loose oil, oil gets changed when the cluster says so. Knocking on wood of course as always. I get up at 4:00am and leave my house at 5:00am, literally i'm in reverse 2 sec of so after starting the engine, and that's because i'm getting my sealt belt on and doing a quick check on gauges visually etc, etc, then comes drive and on my way to the office.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I start up, put on the seatbelt, then go. I take it easy for the first few miles, but don't wait for any significant warm-up time unless it's really cold (<0F) and then I might let it warm up a minute or two.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My daughter had a little Mazda with a four-banger and I swear she was half way down the driveway before the 4th cylinder ever fired.... Thing had 160k miles on it when she crashed it so didn't seem to hurt the motor much.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I alway count to 60 before putting it into gear. Sounds silly to just sit there and count but that’s what I do. Then drive gingerly until warm. My dad back home in rural Michigan does that exact opposite, goes out to the garage fires it up and goes back in for a cup of coffee.

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been using the remote starter on my new (to me) 2017 Ram 1500. Morning temps are usually in the 20's so I like to let it warm up for about 5 minutes before I get in. It also starts the steering wheel and seat heaters for me. When the morning temps start getting above the 30's I'll stop this prep.

Another thing I do is delay turning on cabin heat until th temp gauge gets to at least the botton line. Started this many years ago, too many to remember what caused me to start doing this.

My estranged wife (She Whose Name Must Not be Spoken) would turn the heat/defroster on full blast the moment the car started.

Last edited:

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Mine is a garage princess. I have about 2” clearance for the folded mirrors so it’s a slow back up out of the garage. Then I usually go back in the house for whatever paraphernalia I’m taking with me even if it’s just my yeti cup with coffee or water or my wife. So it gets a good 2-3 minutes idle time regardless of the outside temp before street duty. I always remote start it when approaching in a parking lot. Two reasons; warm up and I have the horn set to sound w/remote start so I can find where I parked her..... the truck not my wife.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yes I do. LOL It’s under warranty. I am use to Porsche. Crank it and drive under 55 until it warms up. Then give it HELL. LOL again.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I put it in gear and take off. I live in the south so that helps with temps. The only thing getting warm just sitting there is the engine and exhaust pipe. The trans and diff are still cold. Back in the day, I lived in cold country. My car was a 4 speed. I would back into the driveway and leave it in 3rd. It would take a while before trans fluid would thin enough to allow shifting.
I can’t disagree with letting it warm up when it is really cold so the heat is working. Computer controlled fuel injected vehicles tolerate long periods of idling much better than the old days.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would think waiting 30 seconds or so would make sense to most truck aficionados. To each their own huh.

A buddy of mine bought a custom 1983 Camaro Convertible. Chevy did not offer a convertible that year. Great looking car.

He would start it . Slam it into gear and floor it. Every time! He did the same with a Blazer he had.

Morale of the story. The Camaro engine seized up at about 35k miles. The Blazer kept running. But then I moved and lost touch.

Your mileage may vary:)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember when I was test driving trucks the sales guy got in a new 2012, started it, and slammed it into gear and took off around the building to bring it around so I could test drive it. Truck had 2 miles on it. I passed on that truck just because of that. When I went to look at my truck I told him to let it warm up for a min before bringing it around. He was kind of pissed that I cared that much about it but I watched him and he did wait.

Doing that is one of the worst things you can do to your drivetrain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca