Do you use anti seize or impact drill on your lug nuts

Anti Seize or Impact Drill on lug nuts?

• I Do you use Anti Seize on Lugs!

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I Do you use an Impact Drill on Lugs!

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • I Do you use BOTH AS & ID on lug nuts!

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • No way I don't use either on my lug nuts!

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Shops do all my work at the tire and lugs

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I would use anti seize in salt belt but not needed in my location

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I feel very strongly about my choice

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • I haven't put much thought into this

Votes: 15 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Anti seize changes the torque spec of the lug nuts. You will either break the stud or stretch them.
Well I guess my old 2006 truck had a lucky horse shoe installed when it was built, in 15 years of tires switched twice a year, all the lugs had both never seize and some white grease stuff the tire shop used on them, it only had one stud replaced in 15 years an that was due yo cross threading..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anti seize changes the torque spec of the lug nuts. You will either break the stud or stretch them.
Even a lowly Grade 8.8 9/16 or 14mm wheel stud has a psi tensile strength of 120,500,you're gonna have to be using a hell'va sized impact gun.and more then a few ugga dugga's,or be a very big fella to stretch a wheel stud with a 2 ft long torque wrench,even if you use anti-seize. Tell us the last time you stretched or broke a wheel stud if you don't mind

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is only half true, as basically there is "more to the story".
Simply putting anti-seize on a lug nut does not magically make it break or stretch. Yes, if you OVER torque the wheel studs anyway then having anti-seize makes it easier to over torque them to the point they can be damaged. If you set a torque wrench to the recommended spec there is no reason that you should be able to torque a lubricated wheel stud to the point it will be damaged. There is simply way more safety factor built in to the design of the wheel studs (meaning how high or low they can be torqued without causing issues) as opposed to the difference in torque ratings between dry and lubricated threads. It's not like if the lug nut torque spec is 120 ft-lbs and you apply 140 ft-lbs of torque the stud should break.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
everyone saying torque sticks dont work verify with torque wrench, well I never trusted my torque wrench, cheap ass raggedy dial a setting thing. at some point you need a little gut feeling with that, to know it is close. Maybe see how loose is/isnt manually with no machine just a breaker. so I guess I should check torque setting with 5 implements and check the average to test how accurate my ts is?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
everyone saying torque sticks dont work verify with torque wrench, well I never trusted my torque wrench, cheap ass raggedy dial a setting thing. at some point you need a little gut feeling with that, to know it is close. Maybe see how loose is/isnt manually with no machine just a breaker.
I posted a couple video's on how to do a home calibration test on your torque wrench if you're not sure how close it is Mike.They'll at least give you a rough idea on it's calibration

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
im of the opinion, you need only check one lug, if the stick works with one lug it will work for all? if not why buy the sticks at all? that is the plan for me on this one.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
everyone saying torque sticks dont work verify with torque wrench, well I never trusted my torque wrench, cheap ass raggedy dial a setting thing. at some point you need a little gut feeling with that, to know it is close. Maybe see how loose is/isnt manually with no machine just a breaker. so I guess I should check torque setting with 5 implements and check the average to test how accurate my ts is?
I worked at an automotive proving grounds for a long time and we used torque sticks regularly. We did an internal study on them and found them to be very accurate. In general I would trust a good set of torque sticks more than the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench that a lot of people are using. We also did internal calibrations of all of our torque wrenches as it was required and very important for what we were doing.
In regards to some of those comments about people getting different torque results based on the gun....sure, if you use a hi-po impact and set them and let it "ugghu-duggha" for 20 seconds it probably will be tighter, but that is also where a little common sense comes into play. You can do the same thing with a torque wrench (at least several that I have seen)....if you turn it once until it clicks, and then keep turning it until it clicks 10 more times you are increasing the torque. I've personally seen a "tech" break off head studs in a big truck engine doing this as he obviously didn't know what he was doing.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I worked at an automotive proving grounds for a long time and we used torque sticks regularly. We did an internal study on them and found them to be very accurate. In general I would trust a good set of torque sticks more than the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench that a lot of people are using. We also did internal calibrations of all of our torque wrenches as it was required and very important for what we were doing.
In regards to some of those comments about people getting different torque results based on the gun....sure, if you use a hi-po impact and set them and let it "ugghu-duggha" for 20 seconds it probably will be tighter, but that is also where a little common sense comes into play. You can do the same thing with a torque wrench (at least several that I have seen)....if you turn it once until it clicks, and then keep turning it until it clicks 10 more times you are increasing the torque. I've personally seen a "tech" break off head studs in a big truck engine doing this as he obviously didn't know what he was doing.
thanks brother, I like it.

These sticks are pretty stout, first time user here. Looking forward to seeing how they perform, with some secondary checks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Okay, I'll take this bullet. I haven't ever used a torque stick. They look like an ordinary extension. How do they actually work? And are they only meant for use with impacts?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay, I'll take this bullet. I haven't ever used a torque stick. They look like an ordinary extension. How do they actually work? And are they only meant for use with impacts?
you can see each stick has a rating, just like any torque wrench once you hit that rating, it wont allow more toque, my guess it will click like a clutch. I am going downstairs to try it for first time to verify that. Gonna use a 65ft pound on my ram, my guess is it will just click.

71iDfJICNFL._AC_SY741_.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So with my sticks there is some type around the ring, so pretty cool imo, as I am full throttle with my impact (kind violent lol) all I get was click click and absolutely no movement with that type. You know when you have an impact every click increases movement of the lug with no stick on it, there is zero movement with the 65 on my ram 130 torque. Simple test next time I will update when I take all tires off and on and verify with wrench, brake job needed soonish, maybe end of summer. Past this first easy test anyhow.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
you can see each stick has a rating, just like any torque wrench once you hit that rating, it wont allow more toque, my guess it will click like a clutch. I am going downstairs to try it for first time to verify that. Gonna use a 65ft pound on my ram, my guess is it will just click.

View attachment 519658
Wrong guess. Those sticks will twist like a torsion bar when the torque us reached. There is nothing to click, they're solid metal. Take note that the higher the torque the larger each stick diameter. Impact guns aren't 100% torque, it's a hammer hitting a block of metal that tightens with each hit. Once the torque is reached the stick absorbs each impact by twisting, not allowing it to tighten any further.

So you won't hear a click when tightening, if you DO, that's the sound of your lug breaking. :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe it was the impact clicking then, it is really hard to tell because like I said 1/2 inch impacts are violent. Thanks for clarification, the fact was for sure the type wasnt moving meaning regardless of the torque the impact was throwing at it the stick was over it's limit and was not increasing the lugs rightness.

first time using one of these

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This guy uses a wrench after, for those experts if you use a 130 pound stick do you need to use a wrench as well?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wrong guess. Those sticks will twist like a torsion bar when the torque us reached. There is nothing to click, they're solid metal. Take note that the higher the torque the larger each stick diameter. Impact guns aren't 100% torque, it's a hammer hitting a block of metal that tightens with each hit. Once the torque is reached the stick absorbs each impact by twisting, not allowing it to tighten ant further.

So is you won't hear a click when tightening, if you DO, that's the sound of your lug breaking. :eek:
That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In regards to some of those comments about people getting different torque results based on the gun....sure, if you use a hi-po impact and set them and let it "ugghu-duggha" for 20 seconds it probably will be tighter, but that is also where a little common sense comes into play.
I said that in a previous post. today impact guns can easily provide over 1000 ft lbs. there are many impacts out there that are only 250 ft lbs. Before I bought my torque sticks I did some research and found multiple people saying they had to reduce power to their impact by reducing airflow for pneumatics or switch to lower on electrics to get consistent accuracy with their sticks. I didn't try various guns myself, just the one I use so are those people correct, can't say for sure but they make a good case. as you pointed out, if you sit there and let your impact whale away on that nut after it seems to have stopped turning you WILL get higher torque than the stick is rated for. I did try that when I first got my sticks. That's where common sense comes in. So when tightening, stop when the socket stops turning. a good idea is to put lines on your lug sockets so you can see that it's not tightening and you know to stop there

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wrong guess. Those sticks will twist like a torsion bar when the torque us reached. There is nothing to click, they're solid metal. Take note that the higher the torque the larger each stick diameter. Impact guns aren't 100% torque, it's a hammer hitting a block of metal that tightens with each hit. Once the torque is reached the stick absorbs each impact by twisting, not allowing it to tighten ant further.

So is you won't hear a click when tightening, if you DO, that's the sound of your lug breaking. :eek:
Correct. The torsion bar affect absorbs the impact and doesn't let it tighten anymore. For anybody with experience using impact wrenches you know that regular extensions and swivels greatly reduce the power of an impact because they are absorbing some of each hit of the gun. Impacts also are not very effective for trying to loosen something like a bolt in a rubber bushing (like a leaf spring bolt) because the rubber/bushing is absorbing the impact. Kinda' the same philosphy as to why torque sticks work.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Correct. The torsion bar affect absorbs the impact and doesn't let it tighten anymore. For anybody with experience using impact wrenches you know that regular extensions and swivels greatly reduce the power of an impact because they are absorbing some of each hit of the gun. Impacts also are not very effective for trying to loosen something like a bolt in a rubber bushing (like a leaf spring bolt) because the rubber/bushing is absorbing the impact. Kinda' the same philosphy as to why torque sticks work.
I found the same when I had to remove some Tapcon concrete screws in concrete (1/4" x 5" long with threads only on the lower 3rd of the screw). My impact driver (Ridgid octane with 2400 in lbs torque = 200 ft. lbs.) couldn't loosen them because of the torsion effect. grabbed a ratchet and the screws came out with minor effort.

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even a lowly Grade 8.8 9/16 or 14mm wheel stud has a psi tensile strength of 120,500,you're gonna have to be using a hell'va sized impact gun.and more then a few ugga dugga's,or be a very big fella to stretch a wheel stud with a 2 ft long torque wrench,even if you use anti-seize. Tell us the last time you stretched or broke a wheel stud if you don't mind

Ask my dealer about it as they just replaced them, pulled the threads out of several lug nuts and stretched one stud. Antisense can affect the torque value 25 to 50% depending on material and application.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
well damn, this video explains it all, and I'm not happy with it, looks like maybe I use a 100 stick and finish it with a t wrench. just trying to figure this stuff out to have a safe result. Maybe find the sweet spot with my dewy 1/2 inch and know how fast the wheel is at 130 ft pounds or close with the stick, verify and just learn that sweet spot, likely soon as clutch breaks on the impact, and verify then trust it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat